New NESes, ideas, development, etc

:D :D :lol:

Random post I know, but I really don't have any description. Possible tech tree for a starNES type game?? Also I think Industrialisation should not be needed for supercomputers actually.

@Terrance: They forget that Superman is immortal and never tires. Thus, we could exploit him forever instead of using him as a weak peak oil analogy.

@Daft: Antimatter is power storage, not a power source, there is nothing particularly special about super computers other than their being bigger, Fusion is a type of Nuclear, what precisely do you mean by quantum mechanics or matter engineering.

...what precisely do you mean by quantum mechanics or matter engineering.

I'll just take a stab here. Quantum computing means P=NP. The basic result of that is all of the things we can't compute with classical computers will be computable with quantum computers. Imagine psychohistory at a galactic civ scale, artificial minds (not to be confused with AI), full simulation of anything at a quantum scale, fully holistic economical/societal forcasting, etc. All the cool things you wish a computer could do, and so much more.

Matter engineering would be like nanoengineering, but at the angstrom scale. Arbitrarily precise control of molecules, atoms, and nuclear components (protons & neutrons). Neutronium, self-assembling anythings, utility fog, classically impossible materials, portable black holes, etc. All the cool things you wish a factory could do, and so much more.

The future's gonna be so cool! :cool:

I can't see why P=NP because of quantum computers. If P=NP was proven, then, we'd very likely have a quantum leap with computers, software and algorithms, but quantum computers are physical stuff that don't allow the same leap as P=NP. Unless you consider that quantum computers will be so fast that brute force methods will always work, in which case decent algorithms would no longer be needed for hard problems.

The key is being able to restate a given NP problem in a way that can be solved by Shor's algorithm, or some equivalent. The unsolved question is to what extent does BQP contain NP. I believe it is reasonable, in a NES setting, to assume that a future civ will find sufficient algorithms to map most/all NP problems to BQP space. But ultimately, that is up to the NES MOD.

You know how I roll, ambiguous and ill-thought-out things mixed with some insightful creative things (sometimes :)). @dis you're right, that should be fission and fusion. Good point about antimatter, wow! Well, would it be possible to have a power source from the annihilation of matter, somehow?

I had a rough idea that quantum mechanics would be an improvement or refinement of the theories we have at the moment, to fill in some of the gaps that seem to exist. I am already punching far above my intellectual weight in that area though. But I can imagine civilizations getting more and more control over energy and matter, to the point of being able to assemble atomic elements from energy at will, not just make nanomachines. Plus like, their consciousness is then shared with nano quantum computers and can even exist as energy fields, in space. Yeah! As hbar said its going to be so cool :D :D

P=NP is something I need to read about! Thanks for the discussion!

Antimatter creates energy by annihilating an equal mass of matter...

What are "Cloud Sentience," "Conscious Creation," and "Transcendent Consciousness" supposed to be? Why does "Artificial Life" come after "Nano Engineering" when the former is probably significantly easier?

It might be a stretch and completely different from what you had in mind: if you are considering humanity at that level, consider them becoming physically smaller (their bodies becoming more efficient through the use of enhancements and bioengineering), and perhaps using energy more efficiently (instead of just more of "it" or better ways to harness "it"). I mean, look at the iPod, or the iAnything. :D

The philosophical implications of your tech tree are mind-boggling.

Zero-point or vacuum energy would be a good futuretech energy source. There aren't currently any accepted theories that would allow it to be extracted or used, but that doesn't mean the Industrious Scientists of the Future won't find some way to be more clever than us. Alternatively, if anyone finds where the antimatter went, then antimatter mining could provide virtually unlimited energy as well.

I'm not a big fan but if you want all the work done for you, just use Orion's Arm and save yourself some time.

Antimatter creates energy by annihilating an equal mass of matter...

Antimatter is, theoretically, a good energy source. Of course, this does not mean it is a practical energy source: currently, the energy spent in making even a few nanograms of antimatter is much, much bigger than the energy created by provoking the matter-antimatter reaction. Right now, the only potential cost-efficient antimatter sources are the Van Allen Belts (where cosmic rays' energy can turn into matter and antimatter) and the potential existence of antimatter galaxies (which, right now, is not clear if they even exist).

Top Bottom