Civ5 using DX11 Graphics: The way it's meant to be played!

I don't think one person can because if your card only supports DX10 in the first place then you won't have access to DX11 ... you can't select DX10 with a DX11 GPU.

You can select DX9 and 11 with a DX10 card. GTX 260 here. And you get all the options. And reflections :p

CivilizationV_DX11 2010-09-22 12-46-18-61.jpg

NO , dx 11 is not possible on 260 , this means that you won't get tesselation .. it improves the geometry of the terrain and costs a lot of resources !

I personally see no difference in those images besides shadows being turned off in DX9, some jagged edges from no AA (which can be turned on in DX9 through other methods), and reflections in DX11.

I have an Nvidia 275GTX and there is little to no performance gain in DX9 or DX10 games when compared to an Nvidia 460/465, in fact sometimes the older 275 actually pulls higher FPS in some DX9/DX10 games than the newer 4XX series. So spending 200-250 bucks on a new graphics card for no performance gain is a waste of money. Civ 5 is the only game coming out for a while that I'm playing that even utilizes DX11.

So if you aren't big on reflections and already have a decent card that can force AA in DX9, I wouldn't upgrade to a new card for this game quite yet. Wait until the next series of DX11 cards to get your money's worth.

NO , dx 11 is not possible on 260 , this means that you won't get tesselation .. it improves the geometry of the terrain and costs a lot of resources !

That a GTX260 does not support DX11 in hardware was not the question. If it runs Civ5 in DX11 mode (software) was. And it does :p
Even on DX11 hardware tesselation is NOT heavily used in Civ5, indicated by the fact that people run maximum tesselation on HD5000 series cards without problems. Probably primarily used for performance increase, not for detail increase ;)

I bought a GTX 460 for $220 CAD yesterday for this game alone.

The game was generally running fine on my Quadro 1800 (came with my Dell, but I don't do AutoCAD), but the GTX460 smokes it.

No regrets. It's only $220, and will keep humming along for future PC titles.

Would I spend $400-$600 on the upper end of cards? Nope.

Last pet peeve in Civ5: computer takes a long time to take his turn. I've got a Xeon 5506 (quad core 2.13GHz) and it is generally sitting around 30% utilization mid-game. :(

It's funny that you point out so many small differences but not the farmlands which compose the most of the picture and show the biggest difference =^.^=

This is completely incorrect, DX10 does NOT have tessellation. This was implemented into DX11 cards, and even if DX10 manage to support it, it would not be able to run it as none of the DX10 cards have dedicated tessellation processing like the HD 5000 and GTX 400 range does.

Do your homework on DX11, DX10 CANNOT even run this:

Its funny that DX11 and Tessellation are working so great in Civ V, but as usual, tech noobs on the forums are quick to write it off as something that is meaningless and would work on older hardware when it absolutely wouldnt.

Eh, I beg to differ :
http://tsedrive.com/2010/02/11/nvidia-demonstrates-directx-10-tessellation/

It may not be an official feature of the API but it is possible using geometry shaders.

I have a gtx 260 and I do not see difference between DX 9 (with AAx8) and DX 11 (With AAx8).

Lol, we're going around in circles!

You see no difference because your card doesn't support DX11. What you're looking at is the difference between DX9 and DX10 and there is none!

You see no difference because your card doesn't support DX11. What you're looking at is the difference between DX9 and DX10 and there is none!

Hehe no.. I looking for the picture in this site! And I doesnt see difference :(.

When i see picture from DX 11 .. I play game DX9 AAx8 and dont see difference.

Just from the pictures posted. There is almost no difference besides the AA and reflections. Also, shadows are turned off or on low in the shots of DX9 for some reason, but they are definitely an option. Makes me wonder what other options were turned off or on low, like textures. The land in my game looks way better than the land posted in the DX9 shots here. Regardless, I think you really need higher quality/larger area textures for DX11 to really make a difference.

All in all, this review has just convinced me to NOT buy a DX11 card quite yet. This game is not worth upgrading from a decent last generation Nvidia card to a new one. I'm not sure about ATI, but the overall performance increase between the 2XX cards to the comparable 4XX cards by Nvidia is very disappointing for non DX11 games, which are pretty much all games at this point. I'm hoping Nvidia will release a new gpu that will justify upgrading from a 2XX card before another game comes out (that I want to play) that actually takes full advantage of DX11.

I am not saying the 4XX cards suck at all, they just aren't really an improvement over a good 2XX card for games like Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, i.e. games without DX11. If you have a 9xxx series nvidia card or older, and are looking for a new card, an Nvidia 460 (or better) is a great new card to invest in. If you have a 260 or higher, I would wait it out a bit longer if you plan on buying Nvidia and want DX11 AND a good performance increase.

Back to the main point: Civ5 appears to have only a slight difference between the two if you know how to force AA, unless the screen shots are just messed up.

The most annoying thing the DirectX 9 version does is suck miserably at preloading textures, because it has to load new textures every time I move the map, especially in places that I've already been looking at a lot.

The most annoying thing the DirectX 9 version does is suck miserably at preloading textures, because it has to load new textures every time I move the map, especially in places that I've already been looking at a lot.

Is that a DX9 issue only? I agree, it is very annoying when loading up a saved game.

Yes! That's my big problem right now. The game runs smoothly though. I could run it with DX 10 or 11 but I have Windows XP! Argh...

But yeah, textures take a second or two to load. It's annoying. My frames per second are very good, the game is smooth, why are the textures taking a while to load?

Edit: Anti-aliasing should be available for DX9, like in... every other game I own.

You can force AA with the Nvidia control panel with DX9. Not having AA for DX9 in game was a bad idea, but it only takes about a minute to do it manually. If you have ATI, I assume they have something similar.

You can force AA with the Nvidia control panel with DX9. Not having AA for DX9 in game was a bad idea, but it only takes about a minute to do it manually. If you have ATI, I assume they have something similar.

I'm using ATI, I'll have to check but I'm not sure. In any case, I hope that there's a way to set it to force AA only for certain games. Like "force AA when I boot civ5.exe" or something like that.

Top Bottom