Rallying call for Rhye's and Fall of Civilization

Hello everyone.
I'm terribly sorry for disappearing.
My free time recently has gone to zero.
Furthermore, I am disappointed by the fact that there is no DLL yet (and we are already almost in 2012), and that my wiki has been broken by server problems in Civfanatics.
If I see that the situation doesn't change, next year I will release just the world map, which is completed and would still be the yardstick of the Civ5 maps released so far.

What's stopping them from releasing the DLL?

Money... money, and more money...
If they release the DLL, DLCs and expansions and other fancy & pricey crap won't give them more money, as people will able to do as good OR much better mods and civs than Firaxis would. It is a matter of business. And business was never profitable to players/modders in any way; however, it was never intended to do so.

DLL would do nothing at all to DLC, seeing as modders can do most of whats in there already (exception being animated leaderheads, which DLL won't change).

The whole problem stretches back when Firaxis joined Steamworks...
However, I can't really understand why do they think it would bad for business. For example there is Fallout: New Vegas. They released the GECK, which is a highly multi-functional editor, it is like a "damn-good Modbuddy + WorldBuilder + Nexus all in one" program. And they already released 4 DLCs to the game, and yet people buy those like candies. The game is pretty easy to mod, however, in every kind of modding: scripting, modeling. It is easy, and the creators don't fear about DLCs and profit.

In the opposite, we have this "amazing modding pack": ModBuddy (a huuuuge piece of junk), Nexus (and even greater piece of junk, and absolutely useless without NexusBuddy), WorldBuilder (kind of good editor, it is OK for me, but faaar not the best) and FireTuner (I simply don't understand what this ought to do, but i've heard it is pretty useful; yet I could barely cheat with it). With these "tools" I barely guess we can do much with or without DLL.

There's a ton being done without DLL (though, not having experience with modding other games, I cannot speak about the simplicity of doing so).

How will be the Rhye's Earth ?

Particularities ?

When will be released, other Earth from others creators will be obsoleted ?

Money... money, and more money...
If they release the DLL, DLCs and expansions and other fancy & pricey crap won't give them more money, as people will able to do as good OR much better mods and civs than Firaxis would. It is a matter of business. And business was never profitable to players/modders in any way; however, it was never intended to do so.

I think that's a bit harsh. IMO, the DLL wouldn't effect DLC sales at all. I think they are just being slow.

I agree, If they really thought it was a bad idea then they would not release it and if they were not releasing it I doubt they would announce it. With DLCs I am sure this is less important to them though.

It's been nearly a full year since this thread started, and there's no sign of development :(

Top Bottom