If the Cold War turned into a real war, who'd have won?

Peace movement in USSR was AFAIK only "official" one, promoted by state and party. Participating in 1-May demonstrations, blaming NATO in warmongering, supporting Soviet government in its actions to preserve world peace, stuff like that :). We lived in a small town, our family sometimes participated in such demonstrations - for us it was kind of social activity. To go outside, talk to people, have barbecue in the evening, etc.

People who criticized Soviet government, dissidents, usually did it for the other things. Lack of freedom of speech, press, not enough good quality consumer products, for mistreating Warsaw pact allies, etc. Not for arms race. Generally people felt we were defending side, and almost nobody believed that USSR wanted to start war against NATO. People remembered the previous war which was too devastating.

So in the former USSR folks, there're no doves or hawks, only law-abiding and not law-abiding citizens?

So in the former USSR folks, there're no doves or hawks,
IMO, not in usual meaning of these words. Hawks position was rather "We must be armed to the teeth to be able to kick their asses, if they dare to attack us". And almost nobody advocated aggressive war. There was a saying often used by older people - we will endure everything, if it's needed to prevent another war.

IMO, not in usual meaning of these words. Hawks position was rather "We must be armed to the teeth to be able to kick their asses, if they dare to attack us". And almost nobody advocated aggressive war. There was a saying often used by older people - we will endure everything, if it's needed to prevent another war.

The attitude in the West was similar: "We need a strong army to prevent the Soviet Union invading us"

a poster from the election campaign in West Germany in 1949:

I assume those three runways were in Edward air base.

Edwards. Two of them. The other was Air Force Development Plant 42 in Palmdale.

I was born in the base hospital there by the way...ancient history so fits the heading of the forum.

Edwards. Two of them. The other was Air Force Development Plant 42 in Palmdale.

I was born in the base hospital there by the way...ancient history so fits the heading of the forum.

Sorry missing the s. Been in LA for a couple of years. She has THE BEST weather among all place I've been. Still remember when I was just arrived there three F-16 in blue (probably the Blue Angels was trying out F-16:D though unlikely) buzzed the neighborhood.

Sorry missing the s. Been in LA for a couple of years. She has THE BEST weather among all place I've been. Still remember when I was just arrived there three F-16 in blue (probably the Blue Angels was trying out F-16:D though unlikely) buzzed the neighborhood.

Couple years late, but welcome to the sunny southland!

We took my mom out to lunch today...patio dining...thought about it for a minute but opted to sit in the shade. Our family is from Chicago, where today's high was 25F. :lol:

Couple years late, but welcome to the sunny southland!

We took my mom out to lunch today...patio dining...thought about it for a minute but opted to sit in the shade. Our family is from Chicago, where today's high was 25F. :lol:

Thx lol:lol: Just moved to another place buzzed by another air force frequently.

Top Bottom