Going back... Civ IV or V??

I know it's a rampant generalization, but would you say Civ 5 is more macro focused and Civ 4 is more micro focused?

I know it's a rampant generalization, but would you say Civ 5 is more macro focused and Civ 4 is more micro focused?

Yep, I think thats a fair generalization. Especially with the vanilla release of 5, just wasn't a lot there. Game has matured quite a bit, but still doesn't have the level of minutia that Civ4 had.

Yep, I think thats a fair generalization. Especially with the vanilla release of 5, just wasn't a lot there. Game has matured quite a bit, but still doesn't have the level of minutia that Civ4 had.

That could be the deciding factor right there :lol:. While I appreciate the skill involved with micro, I find it tedious over the long term.

While I'm at it, are there any compelling gameplay/strategy reasons to delve further into BE? Or does my affinity to the historical aspect of Civ pretty much act as the tiebreaker trump card?

Moderator Action: Two Civ IV vs Civ V threads merged

That could be the deciding factor right there :lol:. While I appreciate the skill involved with micro, I find it tedious over the long term.

While I'm at it, are there any compelling gameplay/strategy reasons to delve further into BE? Or does my affinity to the historical aspect of Civ pretty much act as the tiebreaker trump card?

Civ5 BNW is a better, cheaper, more balanced, more complete and more refined game than Civ:BE by a wide margin. There's little reason to chose CivBE over Civ5 at this very moment. In the future we'll see.

1UPT; does this make Civ 5 too easy? If I have a decent amount of skill will I find 5 boring?
No, and no.

Steam support; how important is this, especially in terms of ease/access to mods for increased replay value?
Steam is there for the DRM, so it’s a requirement and it’s “importance” is wholly irrelevant. IMHO the mods don't help much towards replay value because they are quite limited (by Firaxis) in scope. OTOH if there is an aspect to the base game or UI that makes you crazy, prolly there is a mod that fixes that. There is very little value added by Steam. I would like the game better without Steam.

But I think you should go with V, and that it will offer you many hours of enjoyment before you get bored. Just getting playing through each civ once (for the UA/UU/UB) will take you a while, so there is plenty of replay value baked in.

Proactive gameplay (per Sullla's excellent Civ 5 review)
I appreciated Sullla’s review, but that particular global criticism (and really, it was the theme for the whole article) I found very peculiar, and not supported at all by his own writing!

Community attention; could I hop into SG's if I so desired, or is the focus on the newer games?
The community mods for IV are amazing, and continue to thrive as best I can tell. IMHO mods are the only advantage IV offers over V.

What is SGs?

Gameplay aside... Civ V is a truly beautiful game. Civ IV is more of a cartoon.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Top Bottom