Late game lag due to units?

ZergMazter

Prince
Hello

I've been trying to lower lag in my games for years. So far I've learned that limiting air and sea trade routes greatly reduces lag.

Is there anything else I can do?

Usually im finding myself later into the modern era experiencing 3-5 minute turns on medium maps and its not my PC I know that.

I've come to the conclusion it might be unit numbers on the map. Why? After my game gets unbareble with the lag I do a :nuke: sweep on every nation, unfortunately destroying my diplomacy game :sad:, but at least the lag is gone and im back to 10-20 sec turns.

What else can i do to lower lag without having to create an armageddon?

3-5 minutes turn is not the worst that could happen))). I once found myself in the situation where I could make one turn before going to bed and having computer make it's moves until the morning. I know that AI bombardments slow down the game a lot, could it be the problem?

Lol how do u play something like that? It would have taken a week just to end a 20 turn war.

Im looking for an alternative to my nuclear chaos in order to save my game from lag, but it destroys all the relations I built for 300-500 turns :(

I just got the weirdest way of playing civ. My goal has always been to achieve global peace. Some times I would invade a whole country, because they were trying to conquer the world, then give those cities to one of my 2-5 city sized friends, and oversee their well being until they managed to control the territory, and became productive.

I kinda play a UN role, and suddenly the good guy nukes everyone for the sake of speed -_-

The upside to doing this is that the AI becomes ridiculously strong, and if they declare war on me its really a struggle for survival. Its a war of epic proportions in which strategy matters. There is not a better feeling than overcoming a ridiculously strong enemy, defeating them, and having them surrender!

It had taken a week to give that scenario up and never try again))). What if you use some hidden nationality units to clean up some armies that are too large? That is not supposed to spoil your reputation.

If you play with a lot of nations you could also reduce the diplo options. i.e. switch off map and tech trading.
Increasing unit maintenance is a way to limit the amount of units deployed but this might also crash the tech progression/ make the ai sell it's buildings.....

...make the ai sell it's buildings..

...and this is the next point to speed up gameplay. Remove the maintenance costs of buildings. The cheque of these costs can also take a longer time, especially if there are a lot of buildings in the city.

Remove all the options that create pop-up messages, especially map- and territory trading. Remove the option to create alliances

..and well you will have CCM :lol: with turn times on huge maps that are much higher than your 5 minutes. The most important factors of slowing down the end game are indeed the number of units on the map and the trade net. Even the observation of bombing terrain that slows down gameturns, is a a form of that "speed-reducing" trade-net, as the pc has to recalculate the trade-net, when an important part of it (p.e. a road on acertain tile) dissapears.

It definitely is at least partially due to the number of units, although I can hit the problem without even getting to late game in some of my mods. In the game I am presently playing as England, I have hit two massive Barbarian Hordes, with what looks like about 40 or so Barbarian Cossacks in each stack. I use Cossacks for Advanced Barbarians, with a 2 hit point bonus to make them more combat survivable, and make sure Russia is not in the game. Once a battle with a stack like that starts, it takes quite a while. I also have less of a bonus battling Barbarians built into the mod. A case of the creation biting the hands that created it.

Interesting, as I've generally ascribed the longer and longer lags as the AI having evermore complex trade routes to calculate (I think this is just one part of El Justo's genius: his "compartmentalized" production zones.)

In my (sadly failing) 18th Century mod (I simply can't make it an enjoyable play as there is so very much historically unplayable space on the map, and my introducing the Qing has not led to any worthwhile effect) I use hex-editor-placed "Ocean" tiles for "coastal waters" at strategic & historically accurate points to limit trans-Oceanic Resource usage, with "Allows Trade Across Oceans" never being allowed to come into play; it does seem to help.

Best,
Oz

Number of different units are definitely a factor, as well as the trade route issues. In the Faerun mod that someone did, where they had huge numbers of Barbarian camps, the first turns were taking up to 10 minutes per turn, and it got worse from there. It was only after really cutting down on the number of Barbarian camps that it finally began to move faster.

Top Bottom