Fall from Heaven: Age of Ice

I second Grey Fox, Not only do I like the static LHs, I actually can't imagine FfH without them. The artistic quality of these LHs is beyond anything that 3D LHs can achieve in any near future.

Please don't ever consider changing these LHs.

I haven't seen the AoI leader heads yet, but I could not stand to see FfH leaders portrayed in such a silly way as the vanilla leaders. If you could match their current quality in 3D animations then great, but I doubt you would be successful and there are better uses of the teams time.

I did notice a rather cheesy way of winning though:

You can get the Knowledge of the Ether tech really early in the game though an event your scouts find out about. With that tech you can upgrade Epona which at this point in the game is very powerful allowing you to win the scenario with ease.

- Random Heroes: I liked being able to start with a hero at the beginning of the game and having a selection. It made me think it would be fun if, in addition to the heroes you build, if there were random heroes in FFH who would either join you at the beginning of the game or who might offer their services periodically during the game (similar to Age of Wonders or Master of Magic)

- Avatars: Also, I was wondering about having an avatar for the character you are playing? For instance, if you are playing Kylorin, an actual Kylorin unit that you start with that has a hero promotion or some special ability. It might be neat to have a new victory condition that if your avatar is defeated you lose the game - this might help balance out getting a powerful 'free' hero unit at the start as you wouldn't want to risk your avatar in combat unless absolutley necsesary. I like the idea of having an in-game representation of the character I am playing.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. While it would be a lot of work, maybe each civ could have an avatar that you could pick from (obviously, one avatar per leader). I think that instead of having the hero promotion, they would upgrade throught the technology tree (ala the samauri scenario in the old CIV III expansion I think), that way they wouldn't become overpowered too early in the game. I would really love a feature like this and think it would add to the excitement of game, as well as making choosing your leader more difficult, as each avatar would have different stats. I really enjoyed that aspect of the samauri scenario, and think it would work well here. Thoughts?

Look at the dragon's unit type and think about which unit has the best bonuses against that type. Once you figure this out, the dragon is not an issue at all.

I just brought it to low HP with a heavily promoted assassin then finished it with a catapult. (Those are the only two units that damaged it at all)

Remove the Melee unit designation and give it March (I can't remember if it had this promo or not).

Personally I wouldn't mind just making it invincible, but if not, then march/cannibal/non-melee are all needed.
Yah, I wouldn't mind if the dragon was so powerful that it was ostensibly invincible. You could say it's power is tied directly to Mulcarn's presence.

Newbie allert, first try on AoI, have read no spoilers.
I found this godslayer hilt with an assassin. The next turn it gets destroyed by a barbarian panter.
But i also get the message a quest completed even though the hilt is gone.
Reload, kill panter first, grab hilt, attach it to unit. The thing has no movement points, how do I bring it home? Do I actually have to do that?

Once you attach it to a unit it is a promotion of that unit.
So that unit can walk to your next city with a forge and drop it there.

ah sjeesh i'm supposed to press pick up instead of, you know, create a group. didn't notice the pick up and drop options before.
thanks

Well finally finished this beast of a scenario, first try on noble.
Just got a score of 20619 and it took me 18 hours! but still a augustus caesar rank so yeah..i pad myself on the shoulder.
Most important I had such a fun time and wanted to play again!
So i did..on prince..dead after 20 turns..:mischief:
Anyway, just want to let the creators of age of ice know how i feel, this thing rocks! It's obvious to me a lot of play testing and attention to detail went into it and I appreciate it.
Spoiler :
When papa mama & baby ice bear discovered mulcarn it was such a sight unexpected that i was actually taken aback...congrats!

Well finally finished this beast of a scenario, first try on noble.
Just got a score of 20619 and it took me 18 hours! but still a augustus caesar rank so yeah..i pad myself on the shoulder.
Most important I had such a fun time and wanted to play again!
So i did..on prince..dead after 20 turns..:mischief:
Anyway, just want to let the creators of age of ice know how i feel, this thing rocks! It's obvious to me a lot of play testing and attention to detail went into it and I appreciate it.
Spoiler :
When papa mama & baby ice bear discovered mulcarn it was such a sight unexpected that i was actually taken aback...congrats!

try FfH 0.25 :)

I'm echoing the sentiments here. The battle lasted 500 (mostly eeking out survival before i built an epic road across the map and got Iron from capturing Mulcarn's capital.) years but after i actually decided to attack it was over for the Doviello and Illians in about 30, proper blitz krieg stuff.
The battle with the dragon in the end saw me lose Kylorin's firstborn Seth :( but i got him in the end with the second born, who was an assassin.
One thing did strike me. Pikemen are quite easily exploitable, i would just get my best city to make them and give them successive promotions, then combine and uncombine essentially rinsing some of their promotions and concentrating them onto a single one. When this single one happens to be my highest ranking Child of Kylorin, with the Mark of the rat, dog, bat and raven, and full level 6 combat upgrades, i ended up with a bit of a beast. I basically made him take an army of longbowmen, not that the longbowmen ever fought; they just stayed and guarded the cities he singlehandedly captured.

As a final note. Fantastic work fellas, most fun i've had in civ for an age.

Is this worth unstickying and letting drop into oblivion? It doesn't serve much purpose now that there is a sub forum.

Top Bottom