Roguelike on Erebus

I'll try to fix magic, even If it would delay the realize!
Hey, I'm just one guy with one personal opinion =) After all, creation of roguelike is a lengthy process, it takes years and many many things can change... I don't know if it is better co try to create complete framework in one go, in one release, or to be flexible on that...

Global map of mana flows
My Gods! That the end of the puzzle! I was thinking how to finish the system, to make it balanced! Thats the answer! Just secondary map of mana on global map transfered to local one. It would make local play more stable, and some REAL fun for global gameplay!
Ah, great! I was afraid that your two-part magic system and exogenic mana would be more of a... you know... not game concept but a storyline thing or just a way to make the same cake with different fruit. I'm glad I was mistaken, really!

I played the game a little bit more as a dwarven warrior, explored town, smelly cave and first level of Broken Sepulcher. I was surprised by the variety of weapons and weapon skills, I must admit!

I initially wanted to say many things about the game lacking this and that, but I think you are aware of most of them. Still, just a short list, just in case:

- no way to rest/heal and I couldn't find anyone selling potions (I've found a herb shop but it's empty)
- no way to sell things (?)
- locked containers - no way to open, for warrior at least (skeleton key is expensive!). Generally, little interaction with objects and the world
- continuing previous point - limited NPC interaction
- no map (BTW I was wrong with global fog of war, there's only local fog - got myself confused =) )
- spelling errors and such. That's something I could help with, editing texts... I don't know how, however, and I don't know if you need this, but just in case, don't hesitate to PM or email me at afoninv@mail.ru
- bugs, but not very much of them. Something's wrong with message log, I got some weird messages me hitting goblins while I was in fact hitting undead at Broken Sepulcher.

That was some feedback on playing. Now, a bit of concept suggestions.

I. Storyline
Spoiler Storyline :

I am not in for FfH lore heavily, not rubbing shoulders on lore subforums and so on, so just general suggestions on where to start.

You can use classical storyline pattern. At the beginning character struggles to solve his personal quest/conflict (revenge for killed relative, search for new fortune away from home, jailbreak beginning, whatever) then in the process of fulfilling his personal quest he gets involved in a larger global quest such as preventing world destruction. FfH has armageddon concept, so the second part is easy: Game Over is either killing the chief armageddon bringer and closing the way for Hell, or bringing armageddon for PC's own sake, depending on players choice. That's if you go global. If not so global, then you can place a conflict between some civs in the center of the second part of the storyline.
I can think of a thousand possibilities for the first ('personal') storyline part, but it should be decision of a game designer I think to choose main direction of it in his own game =)

Also considering storyline, generally, you want to know two things: a time and a place. There is a couple of Erebus maps (unofficial ones but lore-correct) including this one in modmod subforum. You could use them to roughly define where the game starts, what civs are nearby, and define storyline progress so that player travels through most of Erebus and meets everyone interesting.
As for time, it's more difficult... I'm not educated in Erebus official history, you probably want someone from the lore subforum to give you a hint on the timeline of Erebus. If you do find some quick description of history please let me know, I'd be happy to read it too =)

II. Magic
Spoiler Magic :

I have come up with some vague idea that using magic can disrupt mana flows - an effect somewhat similar to 'pollution'... say, if you cast many fireballs in one place, something happens with the mana flow - it either 'drains' away (other manas can rush in to fill this 'vacuum'); or 'bad vibes' ('pollution') accumulate and spell effects become unpredictable and dangerous. Weak players do not suffer from this because their magic is limited and so is their ability to influence the 'environment'. But as you get stronger this becomes important. So no 'stand at the door and hurl 100500 fireballs at enemies', you need to be environmentally aware =)
Again, there are a lot of great opportunities. I am not yet familiar with what's already in place for magic, sometime later I will play mage and read carefully what you've written about magic system on the previous page, maybe I could come up with something more realistic.

Thanks for PMing me! We have a great dialogue going on (and I should say to all readers and rpg fans that this guy is very perceptible to concept suggestions and encouraged me a lot to give away my hot-air ideas =) ).

I'd like to post some things that were interesting to discuss from my side, in hopes that forum dwellers would possibly comment and evaluate them.

As it was already mentioned, FfH the Roguelike has a unique magic system framework. It is based not on player having his 'magic' (like memorized spells and mana pool) with him all the time, but rather on magic being a dynamic characteristic of a world location and surroundings. Magic in this regard needs to be both evaluated and tapped in order to have an effect, in most cases not 100% predictable but roughly manageable both on local and global levels.
This leads to very peculiar possibilities and a lot of fun on the world map, while adding depth to local map tactics and giving an incredible feel of exploration.

If you think of mana winds you will get a basic idea of magic concept. Now, for my suggestions how to utilize it.
As I imagine it, mana nodes (the same mana nodes you deal with in FfH) act as a source of wind, which can be redirected, hampered or amplified by standard game actions, no scripting involved. Moreover, wind intensity influences surroundings and a player: say, strong Death mana flow through graveyard territory would cause unrest in the dead, raising skeletons and zombies, increasing their strength and so on. A player could tap strong Death magic at this graveyard if his skills allow (although it won't do him much good unless he goes a-necromantic: skeletons are immune to death damage spells). On a more global level, a player could set up mana traps or manupulate existing mana sources and collectors via specialized rituals, which will influence the dynamics of mana wind and thus the world in general. And when I mention dynamics I mean it: mana wind could simulate actual liquid or gas flows, with turbulence, flow collisions and so on - not just the global variable for 'direction' and another one for 'intensity'. With this, I predict a lot of fun for players as they could come up with comprehensive configurations of manaflows by smart manipulating.
As such, ideas how to utilize the possibilities offered by this framework are incredibly valuable!

Another fundamental thing I would like to point out, is how one could introduce more fun for melee class gameplay. In most RPGs, when you push through a storyline and level up, nothing really happens: rats get replaced with dragons, fireballs with fireblasts, copper with mithril and that's it. For warrior-type characters, even more so, as the primary tactics for melee character continues to be stand in the corridor and click, click, click on enemies who come one by one - tedious at the very least. I'm exagerrating a bit, but basically that's true for most games I've played.
One of possible solutions would be to let a character grow into more hero / army leader role as he progresses. That is, if one simulates real strategic conflicts on the map with stacks of troops fighting for control over resources and territory, player character could be given an opportunity to influence the global scheme of war (and politics) by helping one side of a conflict with real in-game actions, rather than fulfilling storyline quests. For example, AI controlled regiments fight for a narrow mountain pass on a local map. As the pass is narrow, attackers just can't get through. If a player intervenes and dispatches defenders (brute-force way or by striking in the back, or reverting mana flows that give defenders a necromantic edge or whatever), then attackers have a possibility to win. Attackers fraction gains control, situation on world map changes - and no scripting involved!

These are rather hot-air suggestions from my side, but I believe they could reshape the way we think of RPG's if implemented.
I would be very grateful for any comments from you guys!

I didn’t surrender and continue work. Next version isn’t coming soon, but It would be major update, as GUI, as gameplay.

The game will start at 172 year of the age of rebirth. When the first small civilizations have emerged and matured a bit, but most of Erebus has not yet been investigated and is filled with monsters, wild animals and so on. Golden age for adventuring.

Some finished changes (exept secret and that I forget about ;))
Spoiler :

Changes and additions:
* Butchery (you can butcher defeated enemies, separating the limbs).
* Pop-ups(adjusted to the size and font).
* Inventory has been changed. Here is lot of work to do, but now It is not so inscrutable as mysterious ancient Egyptian writings.And free slots, yes, free slots!
* Completely redesigned character creation.
* Helmets and boots, and gauntlets etc
* Time and Date. We have 20 months, 18 days each in FFHtR.
* Merchants update their trade goods every month.
* Font changed. (looks a bit better).
Creatures with less than 4 INT can not talk (done as preparation for the domesticated animals, and possible troubles for PC and NPC). (Any animal who has more than 4 INT, got the ability to speak, but it's magical, animal, I think).
* Random encounters:
-- Calculated on the fly, depending on the global map object zones of influence.
* Wild animals (predators).
* Domesticated animals (like cows etc).
The dialogues has new commands:
-Ask character yes / no,
-check whether the player got specified amount of money or skill.
-give/ take money.
-heal for player.
* New colors for fonts.
* Unique creatures and treasure chests now in Res\Custom TXT files.
* Merchant profiles now in Res\Custom TXT files, too.
* New item class «MEDICINE» appeared. Medical potions, and all the remedies. (old style healing potions will disappear in new version).
* Healing potions now also have a cooldown, but less than magic.
* Firebolt hits the area. (kipar).
* Perks. ( for fractions, right now)

fixes (bugs):
* Balancing quality and material. (kipar).
* skillpoints and experience were rebalanced. (kipar).
* The appearance «BLANC» item a thief.
* New corpses (for cooking, Bon appetite!).
* Found (and eliminated!) bug, when sidebar, at a resolution of 1024x768 occupied half the screen.
*Fixed typo with «you / your» messages in combat and couple of other minor typos.
* Player is no longer talking to the NPC like idiots, repeating his questions three times.
Melee (brawling) is no longer such am IMBA as it was. Thus, the danger of low-level monsters dramatically decreased. (1,5 goblin will not dismantle the player in one stroke).
More advanced melee will be dangerous, but It is not available for every Tom, Dick and Harry.
*Message that the merchant don’t want to buy anything from player or visa versa. It was not obvious.
* Improved text windows.
* Small manual.
* New system saves. You can select «softcore» =) gamemode.
* «V» menu is available wherever Its possible.

I will try it when it is finished :)

Hello !

I wanted to try your game but unfortunately I could not find the download link. Am I that dumb or has something really awful happened? Or something?

I noted that you say:
FFH using directX, so it works only with windows, as you can understand.
This is a bug that should be fixed as soon as possible :D

Honestly though. According to your screenshots, you don't need DirectX for this game. SDL is easy to use and should be more than enough. If you plan on adding shader effects or 3D, you can use OpenGL instead. I made several games using SDL, it is easy and I was able to compile it both for Linux and Windows. (In fact, I cross-compiled the game from Linux to Windows.)

Rogue-likes are for nerds, not for Windows users :D (this paragraph was definitely a troll)

Edit : I see that you made your game in Delphi. Never mind then, Delphi is for Windows anyway. Unless... unless you're willing to try Lazarus and FreePascal. But I guess I'm beginning to ask too much here ;)

Hello !

I wanted to try your game but unfortunately I could not find the download link. Am I that dumb or has something really awful happened? Or something?
Nope! I removed all downloads of 0.0.4 versions, because I don't like them anymore. :)
New version (0.0.5) would be much, much better, because I had spent lot of time patching It up. Number of changes (part of it you can see upwards) is bigger than all realizes I did before, but It needs, at least 2-3 weeks of hard work.
Also, now It is not only "I", but we! Good pixelart artist joined FFHtR development, and Afoninv, from this forum, helped me greatly with ideas and motivated me to continue coding, when I was about to give up!
So, as you can understand watching people downloading old and ugly versions gives me real pain!
Of course, new realize would not be "what I want from" FFHtR, but It would be less shameful than before.

Edit : I see that you made your game in Delphi. Never mind then, Delphi is for Windows anyway. Unless... unless you're willing to try Lazarus and FreePascal. But I guess I'm beginning to ask too much here ;)
Now-days Delphi can generate binaries for any os, but...

This is a bug that should be fixed as soon as possible :D

Honestly though. According to your screenshots, you don't need DirectX for this game. SDL is easy to use and should be more than enough. If you plan on adding shader effects or 3D, you can use OpenGL instead. I made several games using SDL, it is easy and I was able to compile it both for Linux and Windows. (In fact, I cross-compiled the game from Linux to Windows.)

Rogue-likes are for nerds, not for Windows users :D (this paragraph was definitely a troll)
Heh.. FFHtR doesn't need SDL, It need better programmer. :D
I understand the limits of abilities as coder, really puny ones.
Well, I am coding FFFtR the way It could be changed from DirectX to something else with minimal pain. Who knows, maybe later...
But I made myself to stop thinking about it. before 0.1.0 version. :)

I have not coded with Delphi for about 7 years. Just out of curiosity, do you use special libraries or components to draw frames and stuff (such as the inventory) ? Or do you only have one big canvas and draw everything (frames, text, icons...) yourself ? If you're using components and they are DirectX-specific, it will be harder to port your game.
But I made myself to stop thinking about it. before 0.1.0 version. :)
Yeah, focus on making the game you like. At least you'll actually have something to play ;)

I have not coded with Delphi for about 7 years. Just out of curiosity, do you use special libraries or components to draw frames and stuff (such as the inventory) ? Or do you only have one big canvas and draw everything (frames, text, icons...) yourself ? If you're using components and they are DirectX-specific, it will be harder to port your game.
No. Use only blt and video surf. operations. Frames, inventory, canvases e.t.c. are handmade. :)
Yeah, focus on making the game you like. At least you'll actually have something to play ;)

Oh. You got the point!! :D

It's been 2 weeks, anything new ? :D

0.0.5_Alpha pre-realize build compiled and testing by our team. Then comes fixing some OMG! Bugs, polishing and It would be done.
Maybe, It wouldn’t everything planned for this realize, but It would be solid and more mature than before, I can say than now It looks like rogulike that has a chance to be something, maybe in a year or something. :mischief:

Screenshot from test:
Global maps with reworked tiles
deleted

Local map, goblin cave.
You can see, at least, 1 bug, Your character is skeleton and affected by hunger.
deleted

This looks great and promising!

You should be careful with spelling and grammar though. Here are some things that can be fixed:
You have strage feelings, but then they passed.
-> You have strange feelings, but then they pass.
Or, better :
-> You have a strange feeling, but then it passes.

PLAINS FROZEN
-> FROZEN PLAINS

calabim
-> Calabim
(capitalize)

Please put spaces after all colons

Goblin hit You
-> Goblin hits You
(you can also implement a test to check whether You has to be capitalized or not, but it's not that important)

You deflects the attack
-> You deflect the attack
(but this also requires to implement another test)

carcas
-> carcass
(I think) (but why not simply "body"? because you're a skeleton? then I think "bones" is better than "carcass" as "carcass", if I'm not mistaken, implies some meat)

warrior of legion
-> warrior of Legion
or
-> warrior of the legion
or
-> warrior of the Legion
depending on lore.

This looks great and promising!

You should be careful with spelling and grammar though. Here are some things that can be fixed:
Yeah, thats right, sometimes, when coding... :rolleyes:

You have strage feelings, but then they passed.
-> You have strange feelings, but then they pass.
Or, better :
-> You have a strange feeling, but then it passes.
Fixed, this msg shows up when game tries to make an encounter, but cluster, where PC stays is out of range of any "encounter spot".

PLAINS FROZEN
-> FROZEN PLAINS
It is debug data ;)
technical name of the cluster:
PLAINS_FROZEN
PLAINS_ARID
PLAINS_GRASS etc

in normal game it would be frozen plains, of course. ;)

Goblin hit You
-> Goblin hits You
(you can also implement a test to check whether You has to be capitalized or not, but it's not that important)
You deflects the attack
-> You deflect the attack
(but this also requires to implement another test)
Great, that you noticed! :goodjob: Its already done, but variables were misplaced :crazyeye: in "combat message generator".

carcas
-> carcass
(I think) (but why not simply "body"? because you're a skeleton? then I think "bones" is better than "carcass" as "carcass", if I'm not mistaken, implies some meat)
I am confused too, it is not whole skeleton, but just torso, how it can be named?

calabim
-> Calabim
(capitalize)

warrior of legion
-> warrior of Legion
or
-> warrior of the legion
or
-> warrior of the Legion
depending on lore.
Yeah, I fixed this for creature names, factions and nations should be fixed too.
You know, main problem, that it is combined name, means:
[Creature_name] + [Race_name]+[Prof_name]+[Faction_name]
And it is not flexible enough
I think, that best way to fix it: create additional names for faction.
For example, legion:
Full_name = Legion of D'tesh.
Short name = Legion
Title name = the Legion
Bad name = undead scum
Good name = greate example of necromancy
etc

Thank you for bugfixing report! ;)

You should find yourself a pixel artist. If you don't go with ASCII, good tiles are a must.

I am happy to say, that good pixel artist joined development.
On the screenshot - snow, gui, wolfs are his work.
It wouldn't be done in one moment, but step by step we will do something. :rolleyes:

PS
There would ASCII variant. Also, it exists right now, but it looks awful, because always was like "side work" for me.
I'll fix it, not in next realize, of course. ;)

Well... It is a bit late, than planed, about month or so, but whats done is done.
Here is 0.0.5 version. Still, It has old name. ;)
I'll put plans for 0.0.6 soon, and some vote for new name. :)

Link:

http://rlgclub.ru/forum/download/file.php?id=521

List of changes(all that I remember):
Changes and additions:
* Butchery (you can butcher defeated enemies, separating the limbs).
* Basic cooking, you can smoke meat on campfire.
* Pop-ups(adjusted to the size and font).
* Inventory has been changed. Here is lot of work to do, but now It is not so inscrutable as mysterious ancient Egyptian writings.And free slots, yes, free slots!
* Completely redesigned character creation.
* Helmets and boots, and gauntlets etc.
* Boots affects speed.
* Time and Date. We have 20 months, 18 days each in FFHtR.
* Merchants update their trade goods every month.
* Font changed. (looks a bit better).
Creatures with less than 4 INT can not talk (done as preparation for the domesticated animals, and possible troubles for PC and NPC). (Any animal who has more than 4 INT, got the ability to speak, but it's magical, animal, I think).
* Random encounters: Calculated on the fly, depending on the global map object zones of influence.
* Wild animals (predators) and domesticated animals (like cows etc).
* The dialogues got new commands:
-Ask character yes / no, check whether the player got specified amount of money or skill. give/ take money, heal for player, etc
* New colors for fonts.
* Unique creatures and treasure chests now in Res\Custom TXT files.
* Merchant profiles now in Res\Custom TXT files, too.
* New item class «MEDICINE» appeared. Medical potions, and all the remedies. (old style healing potions will disappear in new version).
* Healing potions now also have a cooldown, but less than magic.
* Cave generator – now it looks like caves and not like ant nest.
* It is possible to eat and drink without opening inventory. (it was easy ti implement, but so comfortable.)
* Basic Crafting (smoking meat, collecting plants etc).
* Satiation and hunger.
* Ranged weapons now works! Really!

Graphics:
New terrain tiles from XVs (goodsir). Game automatically makes map from tiles.
New goblin tileset from Toth.
Different tiles for classes and heroes. (well, we don’t have this tiles, but game can use them, if they would be! Anyone, knows pixelart? ;-) ).
Now FFHtR better using video memory. Drawing speed enchanted.

Perk:
Silent Echo - (Balreraph perk) your character share madness with his/here master.
Crazed – Lunatic perk. Gives leveled “Enraged” state in combat.
Gift of Succelus – elfs only perk, doesn’t give anything on start, but would be needed for different selectable perks and so on.
Gift of angels – humans only perk, doesn’t give anything on start, but would be needed for different selectable perks and so on.
Greedy – Khazad faction perk. Gives free Greed skill and bonus for this. Khazad carefully searching for money, so they’ll get additional worth for every coin they find, also, this perk affects different money related situations.
Bretteur – Character got nice bonuses to attack and defense when fighting only one creature at time (no more monsters nearby. Use harlequin high speed, corridors and Tricks to get it).
Fallow - (no need to eat and drink(also your character doesn’t need to drink in this version at all). (nobody start with this perk)
New Skill Class:
Concentration – character gains concentration while fighting and can use it for different combat moves.

Social – mercantile, greed etc.
Greed – check Greedy perk description.

New Skills in existing classes:
Hunting
Exploration – finding hidden locations on global map and enlarge exploration radius.
Camping – creates better camping sites. You will get more safe and better place, for example some food or ingredients.

Acrobatic
Circus tricks – harlequin skill, allows to jump and other acrobatic tricks. Character would be fatigued by using such skills and actions, right now it limitless. There is hidden variable , fatigue, but it doesn’t affects anything, right now.

New classes and changes in existing ones:
Lunatic – crazed warrior from Overlords asylum.
Harlequin – got circus tricks skill, that gives this class more control of combat tactics.
Hunter and thief – hunters starts with bow skill and thief stars with crossbow skill.
Also hunter has all “Hunting” skills.
New GUI, windows etc

Fixes (bugs and etc):
* Tech level determines not only the best possible material for item, but also poorest. It prevents low-end materials for advanced factions.
* Quality setting wasn’t used for merchants and treasure chests.
* Creature natural armor wasn’t used in combat.
* Sometimes screen flipping shows old screen data.
* Monsters “alarm” has been changed. Monsters from other side of the wall would not be alarmed and clutter pathfinding.
* Creature may get skills they are not allowed to have.
* Traveling from/ to global map/ local map doesn’t resets lockpicks and ammo.
* You still can shoot yourself, but now game will ask about it.
* You can leave map by “bumping” map borders.
* Message log showed old messages sometimes.
* Monsters couldn’t “caught” PC sometimes.
* Weapon/ armor rebalancing/ renaming etc.
* Balancing quality and material. (kipar).
* Skillpoints and experience were rebalanced. (kipar).
* The appearance «BLANC» item a thief.
* New corpses (for cooking, Bon appetite!).
* Found (and eliminated!) bug, when sidebar, at a resolution of 1024x768 occupied half the screen.
* Fixed typo with «you / your» messages in combat and couple of other minor typos.
* Player is no longer talking to the NPC like idiots, repeating his questions three times.
* Melee (brawling) is no longer such am IMBA as it was. Thus, the danger of low-level monsters dramatically decreased. (1,5 goblin will not dismantle the player in one stroke).
More advanced melee will be dangerous, but It is not available for every Tom, Dick and Harry.
* Message that the merchant don’t want to buy anything from player or visa versa. It was not obvious.
* Improved text windows.
* New system saves. You can select «softcore» =) gamemode.
* «V» menu is available wherever Its possible.
* Fixed freezing bugs.

Top Bottom