Poll: Do You Play Multiplayer or Single Player Games

What Type of Civ Game Do You Play?

• Only Single Player, me against the machine

Votes: 76 65.5%
  • Only multiplayer, I want to win over thinking scheming humans, by whatever mean necessary

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Mostly single player

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • Mostly multiplayer

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • About half and half

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • I don't play civ games; I am just here to read fine literary expositions on this forum

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
I gave up on MP a long time ago. Some humans were worse than Noble AI and the only 1 truly, closely fought and interesting game ended when my opponent left after 2 hours. Finding an opponent in the lobby is quite hard, also.

Mostly single player, but a little multiplyaer with my son. He's younger though & not very sophisticated, gets beat at prince, so it's not really playing, not really true multiplayer.

I would love to play multiplayer; I used to play vgaplanets 10 years ago, and even played origninal civ and Empire hotseat with friends 15-20 years ago. Two things hold me back:

1) I've a busy life with lots of commitments, traveling for work, family etc, I like & need flexibility with my time. I maybe play 3-4 hours one day, then not at all for 3-4 days. Pretty doubtful I'd find anyone to fit that schedule (though maybe I'd make effort to even my time commitments out a little if I did PBEM)

2) I would be afraid and very very disappointed to start a game and play it over a long period, then suddenly have one or more players just drop out. In ohter words, to trust commitmetn of other player. This happend often with VGAPlanets. Even if the game kept going, the winner was often determiend by who was near the locations that had AI taking over playing, not by who was playing best when persons dropped out.

If there were some way to get over those two issues -- and balance them, find commited players who also understand there might be need to suspend game briefly sometimes, a tough balance -- I think I would love to play MP.

I've always prefered Civ multiplayer to SP (been playing since Civ 1), Hotseat vs. friends back in the day was awesome. Now I play with some of those hotseat ppl online (so much nicer having everyone on their own machine!), as well as 'random' gamespy games. I still play the SP a fair amount when I don't have time to commit a solid 2-3 hours for a session (though usually my SP time is playing mods, not Vanilla/Warlords). However, nothing is better than defeating an actual human opponent (Especially when you get to harass them about how badly you whooped them when you see them next!)

Top Bottom