Erebus

On the third morning of your travel by the river you begin to see signs of civilisation again. You pass a lone fisherman's hut at dawn and arrive in a village around noon.

For the rest of your journey you slept well. You begin to ignore your strange nightmares more and more. Until at the third morning you get the same feeling again just before you wake up.

that morning, when everyone was awake mryddyn said:

"ive been having strange dreams ever since we got int othe amurite lands, not so much dreams or nightmares, but more like visions of a sort... its difficult to describe... it started when we crossed the river"

ooc: this is obviously the work of the OO, but do we (the characters) know the extent of OO powers yet? we did get that book about religions, would Tsanal have learnt anything from there about these dreams?

[ Can't we PLEASE make a rule not to talk about what's happening OOC? It's kinda ruining the game :( ]

"I've had the same feeling," Tsanal says, and after thinking about it for a while, he says: "I wonder if somebody is toying with us? This could very well be the work of an enemy mage."

"Might it be the same person who summoned that multiheaded monster??", Munak suggests, happy to be able to add something to the discussion.

Yall too? i thought it was just me...

maybe it's our summoner. we need to keep an eye out.

Surprised that everyone seems to have the same dreams as him, Ken says, "I have been having strange dreams too, now that I think about it, it can't be a coincidence that we all dream the same thing. Whatever is causing these thoughts defiantly has powerful mind magic." After a few seconds Ken says, "Tsanal, as mind magic seems to be your area of expertise, do you think you cold try to discern what is causing this?" Then Ken, still somewhat thinking aloud says, "I think, since my dreams did not try to send me any sort of message or have anything that might suggest someone is trying to tell us something, that it might either be caused by someone or something subconsciously sending us dreams."

"that does sound plausable Ken, if someone was knowingly sending us dreams they would have wanted to tell us something, or worse. why would someone just send a group of traveler the same random nightmares?

i dont think it would be our summoner though, those two kinds of magics are quite distinct"

After hearing Kens comment, Tsanal suddenly exclaims: "Now I see it! As Ken says, these dreams, which we all seems to have had, aren't specific enough to be the intended work of another mage. It could be that someone is subconsciously doing it, but my guess is that it isn't someone, but something! While for a mage to do it, he would have to be both extremely powerful and extremely mad, it could very well be that this area have previously been the battlefield in a war between mages, and that the spells still linger."
He then takes out the books from his bag, and begins to search them for any clue to what it could be, saying that if this is such an important place, it certainly should be in a book about the area.
Also, while the others are looking another way, he slips on his ring.

You finally arrive at Glorairine. After more than a week of every night in a different place getting where you were going is a relief. The town isn't nearly as large as Paradera but it looks still as it had all you need.

You leave the boat, being a bit seasick from the river, and walk past the gates. The atmosphere strikes you as radically different from what you became used to in Paradera. People walking on the streets freely, arguing with each other without being suspected of resistance, craftsmen carrying their tools without papers showing they need them in their trade, and preachers calling people to hear what their god has to say.

The town centre is dominated by a large domed stone building on the east side of the town square and market. You recognise it as the mage guild and council, where the true power lies within. The houses around it are larger and more ornate, suggesting that this is the place where the Amurite upper class, namely mages, resides. On the other side of the square, behind the fishmongers and blacksmiths, you see smaller houses where the common people, who don't have the blood of Kylorin in their veins, lives.

You admire the town for a while but then set to find an inn, which you do. Two actually. One is near the river, a cheap but a bit scruffy one where you wouldn't be surprised waking up without your money, while the other is next to the "better" side of the town, likely much more expensive, but you being accustomed to the peace and order the Bannor troops kept in Paradera, a bit more trustworthy.

I say we go for the safe inn.

(meanwhile, once we get to whereever we decide to stay, i'll slip away to see if i can find evidence of the Heart of Drifa anywhere, and sell the gold thread.)

"I'd say we take the cheap one, we just have to block the doors with bags and furniture, and set up a few wards, a thing that shouldn't be to difficult," Tsanal says, eager to save what little money he has for the mage guild.

We can't make a well-argumented choice between inns without knowing exactly how much money we have. *shrug*

"I think it may be best if Ken and I handle the wards. I have a feeling that arcane magic may be a bit more... Reliable in this matter. Also, I'm afraid the lady wont be able to have her own room, but to be fair, I'd say you then get the first choice about who to share room with. Right?", Tsanal says and looks at the others.
"Oh, and by the way, what is Nindoro doing? He haven't been saying much."

When they get to the inn, and decide to go to bed, Tsanal will link his mind with Kens, and try to make a ward the following way:

He will paint three rows of symbols on the door, and enchant each one, so that anyone who enters first will have some terrible vision sent into his mind, then will be burned, and lastly, will be thrown out of the room. (He does this when everybody except himself and Ken is in their rooms, and does it from the outside on the rooms where he and Ken aren't sleeping, and from the inside in the one where they are sleeping. {They'll have to share one}) He then reminds the others, through the magic link, not to open the doors until they're sure the wards are removed.

The cheaper inn you choose appears even more dirty from the inside, but at least it doesn't smell of fish. As you step inside you are greeted by a cacophonia of swears, curses, foul words and just general grunting, which seems to be the rule here rather than the exception. The ground floor of the inn is simply a tavern, full of workers and soldiers spending their pay on cheap food and drink, mostly the latter.

There are about a dozen tables, most of which are full. Some hooded figures in the corner get your attention as they don't seem to quite fit among the others. You pay for five rooms, each holding two people, and go to see what they are like.

You are quite surprised of their quality. They aren't any palaces but for their price you'd have expected much worse. This makes you think of some kind of conspiracy among the innkeepers in Paradera, demanding much more money for the same. Two beds on opposite sides of the room, with relatively clean linen and a table and a cupboard to fill with junk.

Top Bottom