TSG3 Results and Congratulations

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
A list of submissions for this game is assembled here. It includes all posted details to date.

We had after action reports from 57 players. The info for the results comes directly from your posts in the After Action Report thread. I am not able to parse them at this time as I do not have the software. :)

The tables are displayed in increasing finish date order. For want of any better criterion, I have used the Final Score to sort equal finish dates.

The three fastest victories that met the objective of a Culture victory beat 1600 AD, and were played by DaveMcW - 1525 AD, CharonJr - 1575 AD, and ssjos - 1580 AD Nice work! :goodjob:

Please let me know if these manually processed results contain any errors or omissions.

I would also like to let you know that TSG4 is being delayed pending the release of another patch. Haven't got a firm date but have read it should be soon? :please:

Congratulations to DaveMcW.

@Leif: Have we been able to make a point about not allowing gifting away cities for the "real" games, or do you still need some additional information (or maybe are not even convinced that it is too big of an advantage)?

CharonJr

I think if anything the winning result shows exactly how bad gifting cities is for culture games.

The three fastest victories that met the objective of a Culture victory beat 1600 AD, and were played by DaveMcW - 1525 AD, CharonJr - 1575 AD, and ssjos - 1590 AD Nice work! :goodjob:
Well Played! :hatsoff:

Please let me know if these manually processed results contain any errors or omissions.
Leif - I had a Diplomatic Victory for TSG3, you're spreadsheet has me listed as Cultural. Turns, Date & HOF Score are correct as shown. I neglected to post it in the AAR thread, but my Base Score at Victory was 2719, if you want to add that for historical purposes.

Congrats to DaveMcW, CharonJr, and ssjos. Many thanks to Leif for running the game and tallying the results; it was a good time, :thanx:

Any idea about what's up next?

@Leif: Have we been able to make a point about not allowing gifting away cities for the "real" games, or do you still need some additional information (or maybe are not even convinced that it is too big of an advantage)?
Yes, you have made an impressive point. The Staff will be looking at it more closely once we get a chance to have a better look at the games.

:thanx: for all your effort on this. We appreciate your, and others, playing skill.

Not sure yet. We are discussing it but think it best to see what the final patch looks like. ;)

Hmm, so I finally get one of the highest scores for a game, right when we decide that score is irrelevant? :lol:

(Where is my silver medal ... :trouble: :lol: ;))

dV

Well I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the sponsored VC will be diplo. Difficulty could probably afford to step up to emperor since we've done king twice now. So far we've had lots of land to muck about on, so I'm expecting something more like an arch map. And we've had two classical civs and one european, so maybe we can look forward to an american or oriental contender this time. Nobu for the win?
That's what I've been practising anyway :p

I wouldn't mind seeing a Diplo Emperor game on a fractal map, with someone like Siam or Japan.

Wow, I did far worse than I thought :(

I guess that's what I get for trying to rush through and not paying attention to details. Just wondering, is there some sort of strategy article in regards to cultural victory? I find it astounding that you could get one by 1525

At this point, I do not think there is a specific strategy article written.

Your best choice is to read through the posts in the After Action Report of the players who achieved early dates. I think there is also some info on cultural victories in the HoF threads as they ran a recent game.

The question now is whether we ban the techniques used in the fastest games as an exploitation of a bug in the software, which seems likely, for future xOTM competitions.

BTW, ssjos should be at 1580AD, IIRC we finished just 1 turn apart.
Yes, the results do say one turn apart. I took the dates directly from your posts in the forum. Probably the date for the turn after victory?

You still have bragging rights. :p
In truth, not really. I think some of the 7000 ish base scores have higher final scores if those had been reported by those players. And my high score late is perhaps more reflective of a broken scoring formula (not enough time decay) than any achievement on my part.

(That is why I had so many :lol: in my post ... laughing at the self)

dV

I failed with the note taking so just decided to wait n see where I popped out in the rankings. Turns out the 1800 cultural victory wasn't that bad at all. I know its been posted SO many times before, but does anyone else have a good way to get screenshots and notes taken?

Thanks, Kid

Yes, you have made an impressive point. The Staff will be looking at it more closely once we get a chance to have a better look at the games.

It looks to me like the new patch may eliminate that "gifting cities" issue:

* Policies must be selected the turn they are earned. (Added 11/18)

If so, it may be a while before anyone tops DaveMcW's 1525 AD date for a cultural victory in a GOTM or TGOTM.

Not entirely. Although there might be a slight loss of efficiency in having to take some policies early on, holding a large number of towns will ensure that you don't have to take many early policies, because they are so expensive. If anything, the change in the patch makes spamming cities, and then getting rid of them again, an even more important strategy relative to 'normal' empire/culture growth.

Not entirely. Although there might be a slight loss of efficiency in having to take some policies early on, holding a large number of towns will ensure that you don't have to take many early policies, because they are so expensive. If anything, the change in the patch makes spamming cities, and then getting rid of them again, an even more important strategy relative to 'normal' empire/culture growth.

No idea what you mean by 'normal', but the new dominant strategy is puppet the planet.

Top Bottom