TSG5: Please criticise my game plan

JimT

Warlord
Hi, I haven't really got in to CiV but have been giving it a go. I feel my strategy is lacking in adaptation from Civ IV. Particularly with reference to puppets for expansion in a cultural game. (I think they are overpowered but then refuse to use them, must be a lack of intelligence).

I am hoping that with this GOTM those of you who have finished it can take a look and say where you think I'm going wrong. Attached some saves en route but unfortunately can't seem to get print screen to work. I have the first 93 turns (until China sued for peace) and I hope you will have a look.

Cheers, in advance.:goodjob:

The Theory
Spoiler :
Having read the pre game posts and not having used Aztecs before, I didn't investigate the unique unit/building/ability. Based on this my original plan was:

1) Research Calendar in order to build Stonehenge (should be achievable on Emperor)
2) Research Writing to build National Epic

In the meantime found 2-4 Cities with a production focus for units (determined to use puppets for my gold funds and boost research). I would also build a scout to explore the map. Research philosophy for RA and build jaguars to rule the world (hadn't looked into it so I assumed they were swordsmen replacements.

The Practice

T0-20
Spoiler :
Read opening info. Extra culture seems useful but hardly game making. Jaguars are useless but the floating garden seems like a priority for turns 50+
Stuck to the plan and began researching Pottery. Sent Jag to explore and built a scout to follow him. T1 got 30 culture and used it for tradition with intention of getting aristocracy to chase a couple of wonders. Once scout built I built a monument to access aristocracy for building Stonehenge Find a few ruins but of less benefit. Also most natural wonders are owned by CS. At 4 pop stagnated to boost production and by T20 was building Stonehenge.

Discovered China (near to S), Persia (E), Russia (SW) and France (W). Sold OB to China for 50g.

T21-50
Spoiler :
Completed writing but didn't build library or NE (may regret it). to silver and another gems. Intend to use it as a staging post for future wars. Purchased worker to develop capital. T50 founded city on lake to S close.

T51-93
Spoiler :
In my defence was getting tired and made mistakes.
Finished Oracle and researched iron working (now 21 turns). Had several jaguars ready to upgrade but only one source of iron (2) near my borders, so purchased and set to work building mine, but needed chopping so would be ten turns. Sold luxury to Napoleon for cash and 2 iron, upgraded two swordsmen and went to war with Beijing.

War started unsuccessfully cleared all units but one archer (garrison) but couldn't do enough damage to city. Eventually, having moved out units to heal and supported by a GG, I moved in for the kill. Shanghai is only two pop and resource poor so made peace for cash.

Diplomacy wise RA gave Theology but war meant I haven't taken advantage. Persia and England hostile for no apparent reason. Met all civs and set about selling luxuries for cash. Used 1k in cash from luxuries to ally with Warsaw.

The Present
Spoiler :

Have got 8 policies, widely dispersed and lagging in research. I have three good city sites (one puppet). I put two into the CS relationship which seems stupid now I have only found one cultural ally. Happiness is -1 which is bad planning but will only be an issue until a trade expires or I can develop another luxury.

The Future
Need to boost research with two libraries and NE. Also planning for next war. Intend to grow the cities for research so may sell less luxuries soon. My options are
1) War with Russia who is nearby and cities may become useful puppets
2) War with Persia (who are hostile anyway), a bit further away but might annex Tyre as a production site/military outpost/owner of Eldarado. Will only be second time I have taken a CS but shouldn't pose too many diplomatic issues. I might do this on the basis Darius keeps insulting me.

I probably need Longswordsmen soon to get my puppets, so need to get research up and running.

Was time to go to bed and reflect anyway (wrote this last night). Once again in cultural I'm behind in science.

Errors
Given the science amounts in the early game I now realise NE is a must.
I am planning to declare war on the world, maybe I should have captured Stonehenge
Was war too late, too early or misdirected.
I think I have fallen into the bad habit of relying on RA (especially now GS are so hard to get).
Another scout may of helped explore a bit more (its a big map) and I might have discovered Eldarado first.
Do you agree/disagree, or what would you add.:confused:

Attachments

• Montezuma_0020 BC-3200.Civ5Save
    388.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Montezuma_0050 BC-2000.Civ5Save
    468 KB · Views: 100
  • Montezuma_0093 BC-0550.Civ5Save
    534.4 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom