How is your Victoria Game going?

Basqueland/Euskadi is not in the game by default, although it is added in some mods (like the New Nations Mod). If you do pick them, I suggest releasing from France; although you only have one province, you start with more tech, more prestige, and more literacy. Then make friends and take your cores back from Spain.

Basqueland/Euskadi is not in the game by default, although it is added in some mods (like the New Nations Mod). If you do pick them, I suggest releasing from France; although you only have one province, you start with more tech, more prestige, and more literacy. Then make friends and take your cores back from Spain.

Oh I guess the PDM adds it then

I also have a Steam copy.

IIRC it is possible to de-Steamify Victoria II; the different checksum is (supposedly?) caused by a few files steam chucks into the folder. By copying the Victoria II folder to a directory outside the Steam one, its possible to delete the files and obtain the same checksum. It could also be done within the Steam directory, but if you have set Steam to auto-update it may restore them. This is all based on one post I read on the paradox forums. I also don't know which files would need to be deleted.

Out of curiosity, which files?

Playing a game as Mexico right now. 4th greatest power, fighting a world war against the USA, UK and China (all great powers with vastly larger and better militaries) with my only allies being the USCA, Sokoto, and Uruguay. Funnest game yet.

Brief update on my Scandinavia game with the great wars mod I mentioned way back in the thread (AHD has me finishing up my old Vicky game and waiting to start a new one):

First great war was fought between (United Kingdom, Austria-Hungary) and (United States, Germany, Scandinavia, Italy) with minor powers allied to each side in 1906-1908. Austria-Hungary was beaten and dismantled first, wars in the colonies were definitely going the UK's way due to their massive swarms of Indian and African soldiers, Germany fought off UK landings, Italy suffered but survived. I only had one invasion in Denmark of about 70k troops that I defeated quickly, then over the course of 2 months dropped ~180k into England (started occupying from Lincoln and Newcastle down to Canterbury and London). UK's mobilized infantry assaulted my trenches and took massive casualties, around 270k out of 350k engaged. In one battle, I lost 21k of 98k engaged, they lost 138k of 246k engaged. Blockade and occupation followed, UK surrendered.

Colonies were divided up amongst predominantly the Scandinavians, Italians, and Americans because the Germans white-peaced out too early. I now have larger chunks of Africa, India, Caribbean islands, and Australia.

Russia and their Turkish spherelings beat the tar out of Egypt in 1908-1911, transferring 5 regions to the Turks. France might fall to communists in another year or so, they have some serious rebel problems and I think part of their army defected. Next round of great wars have started between the Americans and Italians (don't know what provoked that one) in 1914, and while I am still at peace now I will eventually be drug into it. UK and A-H probably won't join this one, given their recent defeats, but France and Russia will probably jump in, so it's going to be a brawl to the finish.

So, great power listing: United States, France, Scandinavia, Germany, United Kingdom, Russia, Italy, Austria-Hungary. Empire of Mexico has been bouncing in and out of the #8 spot, but they lost tons of territory to some belated manifest destiny and now only have Arizona + modern Mexico. Fascism is now on the rise in A-H and UK, only Venezuela and maybe France will be communist. Germany, despite being on the winning side in all these wars (and recently a faithful ally once we worked out the Slesvig-Holstein problem), is starting to suffer from all the wartime losses and might go extreme.

Finally formed Germany in 1853.

Sorry, had to fool around compressing the images to attach them, since I don't have any outside image hosting service. Everything I got has to be uploaded to Civfanatics.

I have suffered under incompetent Liberals managing my factories all game (despite having the tech for years, they still haven't built a single tank factory and I need them bad), and given my limited population (I was around 3-4 million POPs before the Great Wars), I was not able to compete industrially. Plus, I like keeping my overseas possessions colonies and not granting them full recognition, it just feels right, even if it screws you on mobilization and industry. But since all the stuff I took from Britain was already a state, I made as many of my overseas possessions states as well. Still catching up to the great powers in industry.

Also, apparently the Ottomans are still at war with Egypt, and will likely take everything down to the Sinai once peace is signed. The Russians peaced out after giving them upper Syria and some other random territory I missed.

EDIT: Crud, I suck at spelling after midnight.

Attachments

• V2_MAP_SCA_1914.7.1_1.jpg
    V2_MAP_SCA_1914.7.1_1.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Scandavia Game - Great Powers - 1914 Jul.jpg
    Scandavia Game - Great Powers - 1914 Jul.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 101
Hmm..that Great Wars mod looks interesting, as there are a ton of countries on that map that don't show up in normal Vic2 games. How is it?

Sorry, had to fool around compressing the images to attach them, since I don't have any outside image hosting service. Everything I got has to be uploaded to Civfanatics.

I have suffered under incompetent Liberals managing my factories all game (despite having the tech for years, they still haven't built a single tank factory and I need them bad), and given my limited population (I was around 3-4 million POPs before the Great Wars), I was not able to compete industrially.

Try Imgur; it doesn't need an account.

Why not just appoint a different party?

Hmm..that Great Wars mod looks interesting, as there are a ton of countries on that map that don't show up in normal Vic2 games. How is it?

Most of those countries appeared once A-H was dismantled. The dominions have also appeared after the dismantling of the UK, if under foreign influence (i.e. South Africa is in Italy's sphere... I found it funny that the UK fought back with influence points to regain Canada and New Zealand as spherelings). So the Commonwealth kind of exists now.

I have an earlier version of the mod installed--I haven't done any adjustments in about a month or two since I took a break from Victoria and started playing some AGEod games. So it's likely the new version will be superior (break up Austria and Hungary, for example).

I love the idea of having a Great War at the end. It definitely gives the endgame a darker feel: you start with the Concert of Europe, liberals arise, powers start growing and colonizing, more aggression, more tension, and then finally the world is plunged into the darkness of war and radical ideologies. My previous pre-GW games have been dominated by a few major powers (usually UK, France, occasionally USA and Russia) all throughout, with little chance for the status quo to be radically altered. So the early part of the game was fun, while the end turned into a long grind where you watch the UK or France run away with the game and any war meant to check them usually fails to do so unless repeated a dozen times. With the mod, the game has an appropriate climax where entire empires can be dismantled, nations suddenly freed, and radical ideologies can take hold. There are huge consequences of losing a great war (all overseas possessions stripped, can't raise armies, must pay indemnity, and suffer from terrible events).

Try Imgur; it doesn't need an account.

Why not just appoint a different party?

Gah, I forgot you could do that in HM's Government. I think I did that earlier on before the hiatus, so I have just been really suffering for the last 10 years. However, after the Great War, my militarism was already around 2.5-3 so switching parties might have provoked some serious revolutions, which would be tough to handle given the crummy state of my regular armies (most of my units, especially the guards, were around 20% to 50% strength). I think I ended up granting a social reform or two and things quieted down. Long story short: even if I knew that was an option, I might not have taken it, or have taken it and done different reforms, etc.

Thanks for the pointer on Imgur, if I end up doing an AAR of something I'll use them.

Imageshack works too.
And DO AN AAR! Tht would be great!
I was actually thinking of making one a few weeks back.

Imageshack works too.
And DO AN AAR! Tht would be great!
I was actually thinking of making one a few weeks back.

It's a fairly big commitment, and while I've done some AAR-like stories on my own (my favorite was a Magna Mundi "Channel Kingdom" game, where I had Normandy appear as a vassal of England during the 100 Years War, got independence, and built up to the kingdom-level), I don't know if I have the time to do one online in the coming months.

We'll see. I have a text file of decent ideas (and some old, good ideas to re-play) for AARs.

Top Bottom