New Computer: Civ V & Beyond Earth?

Monbijou

Chieftain
Good Day all,

First off, the post probably belongs in a different tread, but I'm hoping to get a more prompt and complete response from the CivFanatics.

I just purchased a new computer after many years;
- AMD 6300 3.5ghz six core
-Nnvidia gt 640
- 16 gigs ram

I have $100 to spend on some new games to try out my system. I am an older gamer (35 yrs old.) Civilizations series have always been my favorite.
I have on my new computer the following games: Planetside 2, Civilization V, and Warthunder.

I Need you help Civ Fanatics, With a $100 I'm looking at getting the following games. Of course i can't buy all right now, but which would you choose on steam;
- Company of heroes 2
- Company of heroes 2 Arden. offensive
- Far Cry 3
- Far Cry 4
- Civ Beyond Earth

I am having troubles on which to choose. I love WW2 setting, and company of heroes 1 i loved. I am a civ fanatic for true, but i did not care for the beyond earth demo. I loved and finished farcry 1 (one of the few i have finished) so im very interested in the part 3 & 4.

Help Fanatics

Glen

- did not care for the beyond earth demo
- company of heroes 1 i loved
- im very interested in the part 3 & 4

Looks like you should buy games in the Company of Heroes or Far Cry series. Without a sale, though, you can get Far Cry 3 & 4 or all the Company of Heroes content, or a mix, but not both.

IMO buy the one you want the most and hope for a sale.

Don't get Civ BE if you didn't like the demo. I think that's pretty straightforward. I already own BE, but if I didn't, I'd keep an eye out to see how peoples opinions of the game change after 1 or 2 major patches and, if you can wait, see if they announce an expansion pack next year or something.

Civ V and Far Cry 4 simply because they put Far Cry 3 on sale at a pretty decent price. Its regularly $29. I got it for <$15. Far Cry 3 was awesome.

Football manager 2015. :D

Another option is to go back to Diablo 3. Recent RoS and recent patch enhance the game. Multiplayers games have some fun aspect. Farming gems and legendary sets remind me, in a way, a run for scientific victory in a Civ game, with no end.

I spend a lot of hours on this game last month.

Starting today you can get "Company of Heroes Franchise Edition" for 75% off ($25, normally $100).

You can get the "Far Cry 3 Franchise Pack" for 40% off ($24, normally $40).

You can also pick up CivBE for 30% off ($35).

Moderator Action: Moved to Other Games : All Other Games

Good Day all,

First off, the post probably belongs in a different tread, but I'm hoping to get a more prompt and complete response from the CivFanatics.

I just purchased a new computer after many years;
- AMD 6300 3.5ghz six core
-Nnvidia gt 640
- 16 gigs ram

I have $100 to spend on some new games to try out my system. I am an older gamer (35 yrs old.) Civilizations series have always been my favorite.
I have on my new computer the following games: Planetside 2, Civilization V, and Warthunder.

I Need you help Civ Fanatics, With a $100 I'm looking at getting the following games. Of course i can't buy all right now, but which would you choose on steam;
- Company of heroes 2
- Company of heroes 2 Arden. offensive
- Far Cry 3
- Far Cry 4
- Civ Beyond Earth

I am having troubles on which to choose. I love WW2 setting, and company of heroes 1 i loved. I am a civ fanatic for true, but i did not care for the beyond earth demo. I loved and finished farcry 1 (one of the few i have finished) so im very interested in the part 3 & 4.

Help Fanatics

Glen

Company of Heroes 2 is $10 on Steam for the base game for the the next two days or so, $25 for the franchise pack which includes the DLC and the original (but does not include Ardennes Assault). Ardennes Assault is unlikely to go on sale later in the Autumn Sale or in the Winter Sale.

Far Cry 3 is on sale for $18 but is rather likely to drop down either later in this sale (which runs until the 2nd), potentially to $7.50. If it doesn't, there's a good chance it will during the Winter Sale which will probably start a couple weeks after that.

Far Cry 4 is also unlikely to go on any real sale though it is possible that it may go on maybe a 25% or 33% sale during the Winter Sale. Unless you need to play it right now I'd probably give it a bit of time.

If you didn't care much for the Civ BE demo then I would likely skip it for now, though as m15a said, keep listening for any major patches or expansion announcements, as they could potentially change your mind on it.

If you purchase CoH base rather than the collection and are willing to stretch a little then you could probably get them all besides FC4.

Are there any other games you're looking at, or other genres? What exactly about the Civilization series endears itself to you? With a bit more detail we could probably make other recommendations that you might wish to pick up.

Far Cry 3 and 4 have absolutely nothing to do with Far Cry 1 or each other, none of the games share a story line. Far Cry 1 was also developed by Crytek, but Ubisoft owns the franchise and has made Far Cry 2-4. I wouldn't get Far Cry 4 without a new graphics card, your GTX 640 will probably struggle with it. Ubisoft is also just very anti-consumer in general and their PR and marketing teams have no problems lying.

There is a a "thanksgiving" sale on Steam right now and they will have their annual and huge Winter Holiday sale in a few weeks, I recommend going through that and checking out what is on sale.

Just remember this handy guide for Steam sales though:

Top Bottom