TSG103 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG103 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your or Camel Archers?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
- Did you utilize your Bazaars?
- Did Shaka being so close cause you any problems?

Well guys i got my ass kicked. I was just casually walking past shaka's cp when he ask me if i was planning war. I had a few pikes and all the rest ready so i thought why not. Then out of the fog of war came 4+ impies which slautered my army. I pulled back and made piece just the same time Aztecs declare war on Shaka. With his army at my borders on half health Shaka died quick. Then peace ensued for a few short turns. I pursued my normal tech research when Aztecks full musketman army walked over me like thunder in the clouds.. RIP....

@Staff: Reloaded last turn because forgot to save the game before quitting.

Turn 148 domination.

Screenshots:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Nothing really fancy. The map isn't very Arab-Domination friendly though. Not many luxes around you, no city states, not that many horses.
Went for a quick wheel to chase barbs and harass shaka. Stole 2 workers from Shaka (on his marble). Then settled Medina very quickly to hook 4 more horses. With 6 chariots I took Ulundi then took Warsaw and Mumbai. I waited for Chivalry before finishing Gandhi because of the great wall. Upgraded 7 camel archers which already had a couple logistics (T111). The rest of the game is a faceroll of conquering everything else in around 30 turns.

Was a bit disappointed I couldn't field a second camel archer army quickly enough, lacked gold and horses and since I had happiness issues my cities weren't very productive. Maybe I should have split my first a little. No city states for a long time made my days difficult for happiness.

Went Liberty followed by Honor.
Spoiler :

Game: Civ5 GOTM 103
Date submitted: 2015-02-03 01:18:06
Reference number: 32266
Your name: Acken
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 760AD
Turns played: 148
Base score: 1000
Final score: 3448
Time played: 2:46:00
Submitted save: TSG103_Win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Acken_C510301.Civ5Save

Well I am going to consider my game lost.

Spoiler :
As mentioned in Opening Actions, I did not have a plan and that killed me. After I took Ulundi, I unwisely decided to turtle a little bit and go for Edu, and kick off the war again with a post Edu Machinery, XBows. Although I kept the AIs fighting each other, Caz continued to run away, I was not teching great due to happiness issues, and by turn 100 I knew I had made a mistake. Played on anyway, and took Montezuma's cities, 50 defense most of them, with pretty bad terrain, slow going, while I was keeping an eye on Caz, who was warmongering and teching like a champ.

Meanwhile, I had to decide whether to again go to the top part and get to Public Schools or continue to Arty on the bottom. I could already see that all chances of quick domination were gone. Took the decision based on which one was going to be quicker and went for Arty. Caz and what remained of Shaka decided to attack me then, my army is half way back from Monty's cap and I have built 3 artilleries in my cap, which can be in Ulundi in 2 turns, so I will kill their carpets of doom, but they will probably take Ulundi and will have to take it back, and even if they don't take it, will have to regroup for 20 turns and then really slow going for 150 turns with 25+ units and high complexity, likely going all the way to bombers, maybe nukes and Xcoms, and I just don't have the heart.

So I will consider this one lost and figure out the learnings. I have never played an immortal domination game. I saw that Acken went for CAs and then Camel Archers, he obviously had a plan (and skill), unlike me.:) I should have remembered what Cromagnus says: in domination, movement is everything.

Tried to go besties with Shaka. After all, he invited me to party at Casimir's place (Caz had settled in Shaka's face).

I took some chariots, archers and horsemen along for a ride in the country. Tripping over Shaka's warriors and then booted out when he took the city (open borders not possible) so a march around to Kraków just in time for Shaka's newly acquired city to be retaken and then for Shaka and Casimir to kiss and make up. Out of position and outnumbered, my meagre force was torn apart.

Sued for peace and limped home to have Monty settle in my face. No space for a third or fourth city. The citizens were unhappy and...

Wait a sec...

What's that?
Monty's red and turquoise pikemen you say?
Lots of them?!?

Ah cr@p...

Rage. Quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slight Write Up:

Spoiler :
My biggest mistake... I made plenty, but my biggest was settling the capital for Petra and going in the wrong direction in the tech tree to secure it. I missed out on it and I think Poland got it around turn 73. It was ok though because later down the road I took his Capital and ended up with Petra anyway. Long game for me but that is because I like to play with Rocket Artillery, Nukes, Tanks... etc.

Another noob mistake was that I opened Freedom to get SoL and switched over to Autocracy to secure Prora but forgot you need a coastal city to build it and I did not get it until I captured Siam on the last turn. I could of built all three Wonders including the Kremlin but since I fouled up Prora I decided to just stick with Autocracy for the rest of the game. At the end of the game I started to sell science buildings to buy a few more nukes. Nukes for only 630 gold is always nice and I hit Siam with 10 total on the last turn taking the last two capitals with 5-6 Xcoms.

Fun game but as always Immortal is a bit simple and you can pretty much do whatever you like to overcome the obstacles in your path making plenty of mistakes and still able to achieve your Victory Condition.

Screenshots

Spoiler :

I managed to lose this in 150 turns.
Spoiler :

Had 3 cities and turn 80ish NC but settling Damascus so far east let Shaka found Nobamba.

I tried to take it with the couple composite archers I had built but Shaka already had Chariots. I had to withdraw and turtle out his counterattack, I also wasted production on walls instead of building more units.
I bribed Montezuma into war with Shaka but he made peace a couple turns later and backstabbed me instead.

When Monty took Damascus and Shaka was sieging Mecca I abandoned the game.

Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Sorry for the welcome we gave you with Shaka so close. Please keep playing and we'll watch the improvement. :thumbsup:

Best of luck in future games. :)

The GOTM Server is down so you cannot submit your saves at this time. We are working on it and appreciate your patience. :)

Hey this is my first GOTM and I really enjoyed it.

First off, a turn 148 Dom Victory is ridiculous:crazyeye:. Congrats to Acken!

Basically it took me just under T400 for mine.

I got in a couple of long early wars with Shaka (man he can spam Impis) which really slowed my early progress and sapped whatever momentum I had B-lining to Chivalry and getting my UU. This gave other civs plenty of time to develop resulting in a ridiculously prolonged game.

Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Glad you joined us and enjoyed your game. Keep reading what these guys are doing and soon you will be running along with them. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Won a T279 domination victory.

Settled Medina next to Uluru and Shaka got the 4horse tile in his second city. I settled Damascus next to ivory in the W and later the oil city. I started an early trireme to scout city states.

I stole a worker from Shaka early and never settled for peace with him. I went for CBs and tried to get the second city from Shaka, but I was a bit weak. But he offered it to me in a peace deal :king:

In the meantime I made some friends with Netherlands, Poland, Siam and India, who were buying my salt, ivory and furs for sweet cash. Love the bazaar's double reousrces.

I beeined education and then chivalry and with 6 camels I attacked Monte. I didn't want to break up my friendships early, so then returned to Shaka and then Poland, Siam (who settled cities between Poland and India, but the cap was isolated in the N with Great Wall. Then India, Greece and finally Siam's capital. Later my second artillery/flight army took Netherlands and attacked Siam from E.

I managed the diplomacy very well this time. I briebed Monte to Dow Netherlands and then attacked him couple turns later. When I DoWed Shaka, all my friends denounced him. When I DoWed Poland, nobody cared. Only when I DoWed India, they were concerned. But then Alex become a friend as he joined my wars.

After chivalry I beelined industrialization, then scientific theory and artillery, then flight. My first artillery helped a bit with Delhi, but I would get it with camels anyway. They rock with range and logistics. Two of them can easily kill cavalry, or riflemen.

Hapiness was an issue all the time. I was a lot in the unhappy part, so I went order as I really needed all the hapiness. Once I was -22 and my Siamese city nearly converted. Pagodas helped a lot and order of course.

In the end I bombarder Siamese capital (101 defense) with artillery and bombers, but took me 4 more turns to bring in landships to actually take it :blush: He had almost all wonders in there as well.

I really enjoyed it, but it was hard due to hapiness issues, lack of horses early, but plenty of oil in the end.

Yes it works. Thanks.

Date submitted: 2015-02-12 15:20:58
Reference number: 32291
Your name: khalid
Game date: 1818AD
Turns played: 279
Base score: 3006
Final score: 5465
Time played: 14:18:00
Submitted save: Harun al-Rashid_0279 AD-1818.Civ5Save
Renamed file: khalid_C510301.Civ5Save

I think my plan was ok, but the fullfilment was not very nice :)

So, I took Zulu, Poland, India and Greece by the turn 165, but after that i got a nice surprise from Shaka who striked me back (he was down to two cities at turn 65) and was managed to even capture my capital (that happened around t170). But i had the might to return my capital back and after that i decided to wipe Shaka totally off the planet. When i wiped him i realized that Monty is now far ahead in tech level and his army is closing to mine. So i have nothing to do, but to "sign" Monty to DoW William and Siam meanwhile gathering forces to invade Zulu territory. When i started my attack (mostly with the Artillery and Cavalry) Monty already had Bombers and Triplanes but i got my luck. Piece by piece i went through Zulu terriroty burning all his cities i captured - but that took a lot of time. Finally i captured the last capital (it was Siam's capital) on turn 312.

My biggest mistake was to leave Shaka with the possibility to get back into the game (what he succesfully did) - otherwise i could have finished under turn 250, i think. Also lack of expirience did't allow me to start my conquest with CA - but now it's obvious that it's the most quickest way on immortal.

Acken,

Great game! I can't believe that one can have such a level of determination you showed in your game. I guess (hope) this is coming with the expirience ;)

Spoiler :

Date submitted: 2015-02-15 11:11:30
Reference number: 32313
Your name: Morcar_olmig
Game date: 1884AD
Turns played: 312
Base score: 1883
Final score: 3037
Time played: 26:52:00
Submitted save: Harun al-Rashid_0312 AD-1884.Civ5Save

I'm going to consider my game lost as well, if only by going too slowly. Good learning though.

Spoiler :

As noted in opening actions, I took out Ulundi around T100 on my second attempt.
Stopped to advance tech a bit, get NC up, and settle a fourth city east of Ulundi on the river mostly for the horses.
That took about 30 turns. Took another 20 turns or so to build a decent army and get Chivalry.
Unfortuantely by then Poland and Monte had run away a bit (at least doubling my game score).
Poland was already at war with Alex, so I struck while the iron was hot.
I took their closest city with mixed long bow/CA army.
But stalled at their second coastal city as I ran out of melee troops. Didn't even get to Warsaw.
They also picked off quite a bit of my army, down to half size.

I could keep going, but I'd have to stop and build up again. Meanwhile, Poland and Monte are still way ahead of me. I think the tech is going to stall me and I'm only delaying the inevitable.

My first Immortal domination victory, didn't go my usual tech paths and it seems that it was the right way to go. I beelined Chariot Archers and then Chilvary. I did get NC on turn 150 or something, but it didn't really affect my victory. Mostly my game was rambling with 10 or some (lost some in the end) Camel Archers and getting behind Monty's wast lands (didn't want to go through his 10 or some cities between his and my capital). The order of capitals was Shaka-Casimir-Alexander-Gandhi-Siamguy-William-Monty.

- Did you use your or Camel Archers?
Oh, did I! I beelined Chivalry and after Ulundi I took all of my capitals with camel archers. I used them to take the last capital (Aztec's) even though Monty was already in the Industrial age. Those range and additional attacks made my camels unbeatable. They did get some help from Mandaluke cavalries which some CS gave me.

I did steal couple of techs to get some good ones from the upper part of the tech tree.

It helped me to reach opponents quicker than in continents map and I didn't have to invest in naval troops.

I usually play Immortal but don't go for domination often, so I knew how much AI would get troops. Also used the worker stealing techniques to my advantage.

I didn't invest in faith at all, and started to get it after I conquered Warsaw. I bought some happiness-faith buildings with it and one great general to help me get Aztec Capital.

I did utilize them at the point when they came available as I was friends with Siam, Netherlands and Aztecs. After I started to attack them and they got guarded towards me, I didn't use them at all.

Actually very little. After I took Ulundi I signed peace with him and he didn't attack me after that. That maybe down to some bribes I paid to Monty and Casimir to keep him busy.

It has been awhile since I played one of these and I forgot about the Q&A part of the GOTM so I wanted to answer these even though my game was not a good example of how to win fast I did enjoy the game very much and thank the GOTM staff for keeping up with this idea for the many months that they keep posting!!

- Did you use Camel Archers?

As usual I forgot about these amazing units and played my standard Comp/Xbow style instead. A huge mistake but I kinda play every game and Civ the same which isn't something I would suggest.

Always! I try to use any option that the game gives to my advantage unless the rules of the Challenge suggest otherwise.

I thought the map was a perfect set up for going East to West to clear the map. I have seen more difficult land but this one did have Shaka close by which can cause problems if you don't deal with him early.

Immortal is almost like a sandbox game for me. I find that I can walk around before I settle for about 7-10 turns on Immortal and have no problem catching up.

Faith is always helpful if you get enough. I love to use Holy Warriors if I am going to generate around 8fpt or more because I can buy units and build more buildings.

Bazaars are just pure awesome. I used them but did I utilize them? Probably not as good as I should of.

Not really! I like when he is close because if he is in the middle it is much harder to take him out early!

This is going incredibly badly for me. I have been eliminated by turn 168, or I hang in and win with a Cultural victory. On my 10th try now.

Has anyone managed to win by war yet?

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. Moved this post to After Action thread because we do not wish to spoil other player's games with information they should not know. Once you download a save and open it, please post in the Opening Action or After Action threads for that game. Thanks.

Top Bottom