News: TSG104 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 104
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the One Hundred and Fourth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomacy. All VCs are enabled but players results will be published by fastest Diplomacy victory.

In this game you will play as Attila and lead the Hunnic Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized map played at King difficulty and at standard pace. Diplomacy is the designated VC for this game. You will have until March 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V BNW - TSG104 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: - Attila - The Huns
Total Civs (including player): 8
Total City-States: 16
Map type: Oval
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: King
Game pace: Standard
Game options: You will start in the Ancient Era. Quick Combat is enabled. Raging Barbs are enabled. (You may turn off Quick Combat using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.276. Wonders of the Ancient World, Mongolia, and Denmark DLCs are required for this game and the Gods and Kings expansion is required.

In this game, you will be playing as Attila, you possess Scourge of God - Raze Cities at double speed. Borrow City names from other in-game Civs. Start with Animal Husbandry technology. +1 production Production per Pasture.

You can train the Battering Ram, a Unique siege unit that replaces the Spearman. It has increased combat strength versus cities and may not melee attack other units. It possesses Cover 1 promotion to protect itself from ranged city and unit attacks. Only the Huns may build it.

You can also train the Horse Archer, a Unique mounted ranged unit that replace the Chariot Archer. This Unit has a slightly higher combat strength and can move through rough terrain without the Chariot Archer's movement penalty. They also start with the Accuracy I promotion. As a mounted unit, the Horse Archer is vulnerable to Spearmen. Unlike the Chariot Archer, the Horse Archer does not require Horses.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends March 15th, 2015.

The save will be available for download on February 15th, 2015, midnight Central Standard time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

The first vision I has when I read this:

Attila: "Vote for me now"
CS: "Why would I do that, you've been stealing my citizens for milennia?"
Attila: "Because I said so" (20 horse archers appear behind Attila)
CS: "Yes sir!"

:lol:

Good to see after a 100+ editions, we can still have fun with this..

Wont be able to play this until I get back from hols, but I wiil play then. Love diplo, never played Attila. No idea what oval is.

Oval is an oval shaped pangea map with random lakes and bays of water in the middle. the map wraps all the way around like a typical pangea.

Ah i was thinkong ring

Even though the shape of the map is fairly known for scouting reasons, the inland bays and lakes makes getting places a challenge early. Bottlenecked pathways and not having Open Borders early will slow some of that. Test games gave me many different layouts even though they all shared the Oval shape.

Ive never played Ring map in SP. It was layed out for MP games i think.

Ive played it on both its an interesting option, with a limited access to neighbors and a CS. Side question i havent seen an earth or terra map, any reason for that?

None I'm aware of. Leif and I havent overtly tried to avoid them. There was one map awhile back that I pondered doing an Earth map but that was before we revealed map types. Even though you know this is Oval, there is still a lot of variables in the layout. Earth maps, not so much as the continents are standardly defined. But we might work one in. It has honestly not come up in a while in our discussions, at least more than a year I think.

I dont play Earth maps personally because it takes very little time to know where you are and then plan accordingly. But I should try a Terra map to see how they feel.

OK, i'm right in the mood to crush some clueless king level AI and Attila diplo is ... :lol: so i will give this one a try.
Don't expect great finish times :blush:
Side question i havent seen an earth or terra map, any reason for that?
Terra maps tend to be very large making end game much slower than usual. New world is an interesting idea but with the way research tends to progress, even if you try to rush astronomy by the time you have found the new world and moved an army and settlers, unless you are spain and your settlers are your army (conquistadors) you'll probably be in industrial so those new late game cities will slow you down more than help you. I don't miss them.

Might be worth noting this map has Raging Barbarians

You know, that starts looks pretty bad. No pastures, no 2,1 tiles, no mountain. Will have to move the settler. Maybe just go and settle one of the hill tiles, maybe the one with the river?

I generated a number of test maps in the world builder. Some observations:
Land always in the middle, oval shaped land, water outside.
Water usually carves in lagoons into the oval land, sometimes forming choke points, or even cutting oslands from the oval land.
I think we are in the centre of the map. The water to the north is a lagoon from the ocean and it may be Quite close to the north pole actually.

I do not like the starting location either. Send warrior to the hill E, may settle the hill SE if warior reveals something, or might move the settler to the silk and settle along the river further away.

I never played Huns. I wonder if head all out science, or to get out some horse archers and fight.

Either E or SW down the river indeed. Send the warrior up the hill to get a good look. River + hill is nice, but some Pastures would also be. As Atilla you start with Animal Husbandry so those horsies should be visible.

I think the designers are messing with us, as with normal coding the start surroundings of Atilla are rigged towards at least one horse tile and sheep and/or cows.

Will be interesting to play Atilla as a somewhat more peaceful civ. Unlike Genghis and Shaka Atilla does have some qualities. Early AH means early trade routes and the production from Pastures can be used for Wonders and such.

What will your strategies be?

I'm thinking a bit of Tradition (get that +15% on wonders), Freedom and later Patronage (and a bit of Honor for the barbs).

Since I am looking to get better at that game... I will give this a try.

I can do well on Prince but always get DoW'd on King and then, I can't do anything... getting trampled by AIs.

I won't submit if I can't win, but I will at least try! Just for fun!

Top Bottom