Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

ok pink! i have my civ installed and im starting up a new game. first thing i notice... i lost barium to magna graecia couse of those samnites... is this intended? i remember we talked about this. i think it is best to not have the capture flag... flagged lol. get back to me on this

I obviously don't know how to post well, because I replied when I just meant to submit normally... Anyways- I thought I would add some Customization stuff I just tried that seems to work well and some details (take no offense to my presumtiousness):

Difficulty on MOST AGGRESSIVE:
So far it is 256 BC I think and I am in Sardinia during my First Punic War on turn 2... :D AWESOME... Random tangent- how did you get Carthage to be so aggressive? I love it!

Carthage already brought Macedonia in against me.

I've only just fought off some horsemen on the border by Pisae... I know I am still barely into the game, but it feels like I can accomplish a lot more.
What did I do?

1- Deleted Barium and placed the 2 presaedium, 1 each in Messana and Croton and the 1 velite in Croton I think.

2- I have (excuse my lacking Latin) pre-built Fabricas, Mercanti, Moenas, and Ponti (where applicable) in every Roman city.

3- I made all Republican governments (except Civil War) have +2 more support in Town and City... But no add. to Metropolis to signify the waste/lack of support per size/prosperity, besides keeping Rome weaker on a large scale.

4- I gave a +1 more HP to the Legio, Legio Consularis, and Legio Imperatoria to signift Roman training, besides make Legios stand more of a chance, besides the logic to make up for 2 pop. loss for Cons. and Imp. Also- Legio Mercenaria would begin the decline of the troops

Hope this helps anyone or inspires you at all, pink... Or tell me contrary? I dunno, I'm just having fun! Althought truly frusterated before. Why does Civ 3 have to be impossible or too easy, arg!? So far I don't feel that way using this new game... Only time will tell...

:crazyeye: wow, I can't spell, anyways
I forgot to mention that I have added 2 mines (no road) to the radius of every city in Rome, but slave value is normal... I hope to conquer tons of slaves to finish more! I am satisfied with the production from a city with starting fabrica, no upkeep :) and 2 mines so that units or gold from capitalization (forgot the term in RFRE) are available
Plus- no waiting to make the cities better by drawing resources away for buildings, instant action for an instant enemy...

Btw- I started my Punic War on turn 2, but did not report from then, I don't know how to write :p

More things I've run in to along the way:

- Praetoriums are Great Wonders? Why not just make them Small Wonders?

- the time it takes to clean up the Slave Revolt (aka pollution) needs to be reduced a little bit. For example, it's taking my stack of 17 slaves about 10 turns to clean up a Slave Revolt on a hill.

- Immolatio Christiani: the Christiani created by the buildings from the Wonder can't be sacrificed or anything. They're pretty much worthless. Also, WAY too many units are created from this Wonder. Considering how large the Empire should be by the time it's built, we're talking, well, a massive amount of units suddenly being created. I don't think the Christians were persecuted in that large of numbers. :p Maybe just make the Wonder itself create a Christiani every turn or something instead of creating a building in every city that makes them every x turns?

- Cohortes Praetorinae can't upgrade to Cohortes Impraetorinae. I checked, and it's just because the Cohortes Praetorinae don't have the Upgrade Unit flag checked for their actions.

- Bovianum or Barium should really be moved or removed. Later in the game, that area becomes so crowded that the cities don't become very great. Could Bovianum be moved North or NorthWest a tile or two to prevent this crowding problem? Or perhaps just removed Barium altogether (unless itg had some kind of significance?) and make Bovianum a coastal city?

- Plague can happen. In the times of the early Roman Empire. Intended?

- Hadrian's Wall can be built anywhere (even in Rome) in the Empire. Maybe you should put (and create) a new type of resouce in Eburacum's city radius, called Hadrian's Wall or something. It can be invisible and do absolutely nothing, other than be required in the radius to build Hadrian's Wall. You can even require Antionine's Golden Age as a pre-req to even see the resource, thereby guaranteeing that only Romans holding that city will be able to make that wonder. The price on Hadrian's Wall will also need to be drastically reduced if it's ever to be created; in my current game around 56 AD, it would take roughly 250 turns (because of corruption, only 1 shield is not wasted per turn) -- 500 years in total. I don't think Hadrian's Wall took that long to create. :p

- the Science Advisor graphics tells me that Antonine's Golden Age requires Siege Engineering to be researched before it can be researched, yet it isn't. I think what the Science Advisor graphics imply make sense, too, since Siege Engineering has to do with Rome building up its fortress and walls along its borders, and then later Hadrian's Wall being one of the major accomplishments in northern England.

- The wording when talking about Alexander the Great for Port Tyri's Civilopedia entry is kind of funky. You may want to look into that.

- Addressing that issue of stopping Rome from conquering the Barbarians that they really didn't in history: you can do what you did with the Germanian's capitol and Pictii; place the cities/areas that weren't conquered by Rome over Marshes. Then the Romans can't capture those cities! :goodjob:

- the Servi looks odd when he "Fights Slave Unrest" ... did they fight slave unrests by doing the booty shake in those days? :lol:

- Crux Lesi & Bibla cost an awful lot considering that they have to be built in Jerusalem, and Crus Lesi can't be built after the discovery of Philosopher on thed Throne, which comes pretty fast if you don't stop your technology completely.

- Once/if Rome starts conquering most of the world around the Mediterranean, technology starts coming WAY too fast for them. Running with Science at 10%, I was still flying through technologies (one every 10 or so turns) and going way too fast in the 2nd era. I had to completely stop my research so that I didn't get too far ahead. You may have to set a higher number for the lowest time that a tech can be researched in.

- the "Limes xxx" wonder's prices need to be reduced a bit, esp. the ones that require resources because they're generally going to be built in small/medium-sized cities with rampant corruption.

- the other civs are way behind in their techs. At 132 AD, Weak civs like Nabatea are still researching 220-190 BC; stronger civs like Egypt, Persia, and Germania are still only researching 138-88 BC. The prices for the AI-only techs need to be reduced. I wouldn't really worry too much about Nabatea and those other weak civs tho; they'll all be conquered before they can really make use of anything that they do get from the techs. :p

- "Annus Quartorum Imperatorum" (Year of the Four Emperors) -- shouldn't it only take a year (or well, 2 since a turn by that time is 2 years) to make? :p Although it's already cheap, it would make sense to lower this to 10 or 20 shields so that it can be built in one turn.

- the "Required Improvement/Wonder" setting for Thermae (which requires an Aqueduct) needs to be removed or changed; many cities on rivers never even got a chance to build Aqueducts, and thus were unable to build the Thermae to grow past size 12. Roma is included in one of these cities that were unable to build Thermae. Speaking of Roma, wasn't it supposed to be the largest city in the Empire? With the resources and terrain around Roma how it is right now, it's constantly being outgrown by many of my other cities.

IXIRandyIXI said:
- the time it takes to clean up the Slave Revolt (aka pollution) needs to be reduced a little bit. For example, it's taking my stack of 17 slaves about 10 turns to clean up a Slave Revolt on a hill.

The point is that you are supposed to clean up Slave unrest with soldiers, not other slaves!!

Here's a picture of only part of a sneak attack force from Persia. There's a LOT more not shown in that list I pulled up, PLUS about 30 scattered around not on that stack. Then there's the ones that they still have running around still inside of their empire! Naw, Monarchies don't have too much military support! :lol:

Attachments

• persia1.JPG
    persia1.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 938
If you look at your mini map I sure think the Pathians should do something against it.. . :) and besides, you have a massive amount of gold, you probably could work against them, right?

But ok, there are many soldiers, I agree. :)

mfG mitsho

I can't sign military alliances with Pontus. :( Only RoP. And yeah, I basically kept buy/rushing Praesidiums in all my cities to slow them down until I got my massive Ballista horde over there and cleaned them out. That force would be completely devastating if it weren't for Ballistas and how they are right now tho (no support cost, can hit up to 3 HP per bombard).

wow im impressed you got that far. can you give any details of how the rest of the game went? from most of my games i get to a certain point then make a change and start over lol. and if you could post a savegame id like to see it. thanks

Encountered a problem with the Sarmatian Swordsman's .ini file (a Load error). I simply fixed it by C&Ping all the files from the Ansar Warrior folder that the Sarmatian Warrior uses into the Sarmatian Warrior folder, then changing the code under the [Sound effects] part to:

[Sound Effects]
BLANK=
DEFAULT=
WALK=
RUN=AnsarWarriorRun.amb
ATTACK1=AnsarWarriorAttackA.amb
ATTACK2=AnsarWarriorAttackB.amb
ATTACK3=
DEFEND=
DEATH=AnsarWarriorDeath.wav
DEAD=
FORTIFY=AnsarWarriorFortify.wav
FORTIFYHOLD=
FIDGET=AnsarWarriorFidget.wav
VICTORY=AnsarWarriorVictory.wav
TURNLEFT=
TURNRIGHT=
BUILD=
ROAD=
MINE=
IRRIGATE=
FORTRESS=
CAPTURE=
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
[Version]
VERSION=1
[Palette]
PALETTE=

And the problem is fixed!

i was just fiddling and i came up with something to make carthage less impregnable. i took away that city's forge. i know in the long run this doesnt make a huge difference, but well see what happens...

Foot in mouth, too easy with what I tried. Starting mines make it too easy with beginning production... gonna try deleting them and also - only + 1 HP for first Legio, no others for power balance... also only + 2 to Cities and no bonus from original for Towns for Unit Support in all Republican Govts except Civil War.

Fine timber is essential for ballistae, so I fought a war with Irryia and captured a source. It got depleted almost immediatly. Is this supposed to happen?

loki, it's not intended. But resources are meant to disappear. Your next best bet will probably be a war with Macedonia to grab their source of Fine Timber, else you may want to restart since the rest of the game is pretty much impossible without Ballistae. :p

And some more things as I go along:

- consider removing the Standard Tile Penalty from Anarchy so that large cities do not suffer so much when switching to Civil War and back; I consider Anarchy just an extention of the Civil War, and since Civil War has no tile penalty, Anarchy shouldn't either.

- again, having problems with technology going too fast (even with scientific research set at 10%) in the 3rd era. I entered the 3rd era around the "correct" time -- around 220 AD. Then technology just kept flying and I found myself 40-50 years (and growing) ahead again. Prices on these techs need to be increased and perhaps the minimum time to research techs needs to be increased.

- Opus Imperator-Soldati: the price for it needs to be decreased so that it can actually be built and produce something before it goes obsolete 3 techs later. Perhaps even increase the rate at which the Legio Mercenaria are generated from it to 4 instead of 8.

- since the "Renovatio Diocletiani" & Diocese improvements go obsolete (or well, the Diocese are meant to go obsolete) with the technology right after the technology that lets you build them, the prices on the "Renovatio Diocletiani" & Diocese need to be drastically reduced so that they can be built and actually be of some use before they go obsolete. Maybe make both of them go obsolete with the "Division of Theodosius" and lower their prices a bit?

- Edictum Mediolani's price needs to be reduced quite a bit; after all the Civil War, loss of granaries & the wonder that doubles city growth, and switching to 2 governments that do a Forced Resettlement (Absolutism and Christian Imperialism) in such a short amount of time, you've lost a massive amount of population and your once-great cities like Rome don't have much production any more, so this wonder takes a very long time to build.

- because of Byzantium's low production, it takes the city 150 turns (with 18 shields per turn!) to rebuild the Capitol in it! :eek: Thus, I'm going to try adding a Hill with an Ore resource on it (no roads) on the tile NorthWest of Byzantium. The price of building the Capitol needs to be reduced quite a bit as well.

- since the Christian Imperialism government's corruption is Communal, Italy, Spain, etc. etc. isn't hit so hard as intended when the Capitol is moved to Byzantium and all the corruption-reducing improvements go obsolete. Thus, I'm going to try making Christian Imperialism's corruption be Problematic.

- in all my time up to 230 AC, I had no problem whatsoever with running over the barbarian nations. Thus, I'm going to try giving their foot troops 2 movement points and no penalty costs in forest movement. I know, I know, I'm digging my own grave. But oh well! :goodjob:

Going to try starting a new game now with all these changes I've recommended. :goodjob:

Guys, answering all this great feedback and comments will take me yet another full day. This mod will get me fired :)

Just a quick 2 points comment, critical:
1) Since it seems wonders don't get obsolete as I thought, the whole game is currently unbalanced. With the praetorium not going absolete by 200AC, Rome will indeed never go down or even slow down. Big problem, I have too think about it.
2) AI techs are all set at a very high cost so that the all the AI nations should actually get each tech at the same time after 50 turns (max. research lenght). How come the AI can lag behind?! This need serious checking as well.

These 2 elements combined explain many of the issues raised about fast tech et invincible Rome in the later part of the game. Geee, that screenshots of Parthia is impressive :) What date is that?

The +1 HP for beginning Legio is still too much... So I'm gonna try just +1 Attack to give the Legio a better chance at not dying so easily... That way, one does not sacrifice a HP between Legio and Consularis Legio and the Consularis is still superior.

Randy- Good observations. I'm gonna try the same, but still use +2 support for Cities in all Roman Govts. (except Civil War) and initial Delubrum, Mercantus, Moena, and Fabrica in all starting cities. Also- I am putting the Min. Research time at 12 and Max. at 70, because without building any research buildings the techs go too fast and why have the buildings if they're not needed? Might be too much, though. I have Road momement at 5, Ballistae Rate of Fire reduced to 2, All North Barbarian units able to ignore Hill and Forest movement cost.
Guess we'll see what happens while awaiting the newest installment =0)

* I also changed the turn progression to 1 year per turn until 0 AD, because I am usually past the date for the 2nd Punic War while preparing to be a contender VS Carthage.

pinktilapia said:
Guys, answering all this great feedback and comments will take me yet another full day. This mod will get me fired :)

Just a quick 2 points comment, critical:
1) Since it seems wonders don't get obsolete as I thought, the whole game is currently unbalanced. With the praetorium not going absolete by 200AC, Rome will indeed never go down or even slow down. Big problem, I have too think about it.
2) AI techs are all set at a very high cost so that the all the AI nations should actually get each tech at the same time after 50 turns (max. research lenght). How come the AI can lag behind?! This need serious checking as well.

These 2 elements combined explain many of the issues raised about fast tech et invincible Rome in the later part of the game. Geee, that screenshots of Parthia is impressive :) What date is that?

:lol: I know if I had a job, I would've gotten fired by now because of this scenario! :D

1) D'OH! That's one of the things I forgot to fix in my edited version! :( All you really need to do is make the Praetoriums go obsolete with a tech that the Roman player will be researching around that time period that they are meant to go obsolete. Problem solved!

2) I noticed that when I was looking thru the .biq file earlier today changing things around. I found out what the problem was, tho: you split the techs into 50-year sections. Since it'd take all of the AI to research each tech at 50 turns, it makes sense to do this (very smart! :goodjob:) so that even the weak ones can keep up. HOWEVER, what you forgot is that after 200 BC, every turn = 2 years! Thus, the AI will be researching a tech that only covers a 50 year period in 100 years. This is why they fell behind. I just fixed it by combining a bunch of the 50-year techs into 100-year techs and reassigning units/buildings/wonders to their appropriate technology and, so far, it's been working flawlessly. :D

Eh, I forget exactly when that Parthian SS was from. Sometime in the 100's AD. Those were tough times :mad:

1) D'OH! That's one of the things I forgot to fix in my edited version! All you really need to do is make the Praetoriums go obsolete with a tech that the Roman player will be researching around that time period that they are meant to go obsolete. Problem solved!

Yes, it can be made that simple, but the idea was to have the Roman to face no choice but to go ahead in research (aka history) and not freezing at the Antonine Golden Age (with working Praetorium). At the end, it seems anyway I will have no ther option...

2) I noticed that when I was looking thru the .biq file earlier today changing things around. I found out what the problem was, tho: you split the techs into 50-year sections. Since it'd take all of the AI to research each tech at 50 turns, it makes sense to do this (very smart! :goodjob so that even the weak ones can keep up. HOWEVER, what you forgot is that after 200 BC, every turn = 2 years! Thus, the AI will be researching a tech that only covers a 50 year period in 100 years. This is why they fell behind. I just fixed it by combining a bunch of the 50-year techs into 100-year techs and reassigning units/buildings/wonders to their appropriate technology and, so far, it's been working flawlessly.

I don't believe I have been so stupid as to overlook that :eek: :suicide:
The good news is that it can be fixed in a couple of minutes - you saved my day, Randy!

blitzkrieg80 said:
The +1 HP for beginning Legio is still too much... So I'm gonna try just +1 Attack to give the Legio a better chance at not dying so easily... That way, one does not sacrifice a HP between Legio and Consularis Legio and the Consularis is still superior.

Randy- Good observations. I'm gonna try the same, but still use +2 support for Cities in all Roman Govts. (except Civil War) and initial Delubrum, Mercantus, Moena, and Fabrica in all starting cities. Also- I am putting the Min. Research time at 12 and Max. at 70, because without building any research buildings the techs go too fast and why have the buildings if they're not needed? Might be too much, though. I have Road momement at 5, Ballistae Rate of Fire reduced to 2, All North Barbarian units able to ignore Hill and Forest movement cost.
Guess we'll see what happens while awaiting the newest installment =0)

* I also changed the turn progression to 1 year per turn until 0 AD, because I am usually past the date for the 2nd Punic War while preparing to be a contender VS Carthage.

I will post a summary of next patch for discussion soon, so that we might have a version 0.7 on which everybody agree. Just a word of caution about changing Max research time, it will wreck the whole game mechanism (which is already in serious need of a fix, as you can guess following above posts ;))

Instead of making Archers just another moderate attack, low defense, defensive bombard unit, they can become a sort of siege unit -- that is, low (2) defense and attack so that they are not made for actual combat, with low (4ish, so that they have a very low chance of destroying city defense structures), yet ranged and offensive (meaning Bombard range = 1), lethal bombard, with 3 Rate of Fire and lethal land bombardment. So instead of being that unit that you just sent against the enemy to waste or maybe finish off a weakened unit, the Archers can be used for what they really were used for -- softening the enemy and reducing their numbers before attacking or before they attack. Since massing them could also be a problem, they can also require support. As for graphics, you could probably request for one of those unit graphics guys to make a Roman army archer unit. I'm sure they'd be willing to help out with such a great scenario. And, of course, remove the Oriental Goods requirement from them since some people may not be fortunate enough to conquer that far by the time they're available.

You will see that I followed many of your ideas, especially the archer idea! I would keep the oriental good requirement (since most archers used by Rome where from Syria and Asia in general) but the players lagging behind will have the funditores as a similar unit available as soon as some Gaul Goods have been secured.

the earliest Legios are given 1 more defense so that they can defend themselves slightly better. Also, either all of Rome's Legios can receive an extra HP bonus (representing their superior military training and organization, even in the days of the early Republic), or all the enemy civ's foot troops can have their HP bonus reduced by 1. Either way works, tho the latter would likely be the best -- less HP means that the lower-HP units such as Cavalry actually stand a chance against foot troops. Either way, with these changes, the Roman Legios really need to have an HP bonus over the other civ's foot troops.

I understand this is an issue in the first part of the game, but soon the Roman will often have a HP advantage on opponents (either due to battle experience or the presence of a triumphus). I really wouldn’t like to have a conscript legio having better HP than equivalent enemy troops. With better def, better def bomb, and AI more likely to lead army on the field rather than massing militia in towns, let’s see if more bonus is needed for the Roman after next patch

Cities built on the very edge of the map are weak (not enough city boxes to ever do much), hardly visible and generally annoying. I do not know if you've seen/heard of the main concept in Rhye's Civ. MOD, but less cities on a map speeds up the game, thus weak cities on the edge of the map also would bog down a potentially already slow loading scenario (like one with lots of cool unique units). YOU do not have such cities (Thank you!) but some of the terrain on the edge of your map has the possibility of being settled by the AI to everyone's dismay.
So when I customize my games - I always make the terrain on the 2-3 spaces of edge of the map forest/desert/mountain/tundra/swamp, whatever fits the climate and area and cannot be settled... I think you should consider this...
ALSO - Did you know that you have desert terrain checked as ABLE to be settled on in the game rules?! I think that should definitely be no - desert terrain sucks and would only create weak cities...

Only Rome and the Germans have access to a very few settlers (all wonder generated, to replace city ran over by conquest). But I see spots where he might go settling a wrong tile. I will fix it. Desert allow city, I was lazy to check the box, since no settler can enter deserts :)

I noticed on your website that you show the area of ancient Persia as Parthia - Thank you! I have always thought Rome scenarios should have the real enemy of the east! - but in the game itself it then says "Persia"... and even though the Parthians took over the Persian empire... I think it should be Seleucids or Parthia, but not Persia... just a thought... also the Parthians came later so it doesn't make sense for them to start there and the Seleucids would be in power. I have found it impossible to simulate the Parthians taking over the Seleucids though (before or after Rome in the East). One is always more powerful or both weak. So I like Parthia alreadying being a bad boy.
PresidentMarco made the same remark before I think. What is called in-game Persia is both Parthia AND the Sassanids (in the latest part of the game as reflected by new units). I tried to find a name that could include both of them. I am open to suggestions though!

What's the point of the Roman city Barium? I delete it for my Customization and the game seems better off without it. I can see wanting Rome to have to defend it, but its too close to other cities and makes them weaker and Rome is already too weak, but I also like spaced out cities for the same reason mentioned previously about game speed, besides later power
Bovianum was added later on. See next post.

I think making Gaul more powerful would be necessary for a later challenge (I don't know since I can't ever get close to defeating Carthage, but if I did, I have a feeling that Gaul wouldn't have a chance against my combined lands of Carthage and Rome)
I need feedback on that! The point (which is ruined in last versions due to a defect in my brain :cry: ) is that Gauls and especially Germania were to get new powerful units by 0AC (Bellatores Loricati).

I like how Gaul goes over onto Britain... Although it weakens the Britains (not good at all), I did it myself in the past on the TAM MOD because its too easy to not care about Britain and conquer mainland Europe, so having the pissed off Gauls attack from Britain still after you've taken the area of France would force you to go there too.
Thanks, although it was mostly designed so to prevent the AI to mass troops in Britain ;)

You have a lot of accurate city locations which I must commend you for , but just my opinion, Delphi does not make sense where its at.
To be correct, the capital of the Etolian League should be Ambracta, but I thought Delphi was much more a siginificant city, plus I had to place the oracle there! Besides, is the location that bad? It is just max 2 tiles from where it should be…
I also have some issues with locations such as Burgundi in France where they long last settled as well as with ownership on some Barbarian tribe cities, such as Visigoths being German rather than Sarmatian, since Ostrogoths are considered Sarmatian.
Burgundi were a tribe which settled there for a while (on one of the hundred map I used for the mod). Check it, they are not (yet) in France but the other side of the Rhine! For the Goths, I agree, but theey were split on a geograhphic basis (there is that huge pripet swamp in the middle!). Plus, the 2 goths lines have a very different history later on, going in different places and conquering different peoples. I would keep as it is now.
*Also you could add more tribes than the same name with a space after it. Nothing thats too big of a deal so I will not go into it unless you really care, since you probably already realize it.
Done :) Check some Nomad tribes

Greece, Asia Minor and the East seem too weak (fractionalized) to make much of a challenge after the Second Punic War. I can't get there though so I can't verify that, but in other scenarios, once I have Roman land + Carthage land - there has to be a strong and solid East to stop me. An alliance under Mithrandates would make sense though.
Very true, thus my wish not to weaken the AI civilized units (which never improve) too much. Mithridates should in theory be a challenge for you. With sufficient feedback, Pontus, the Seleucids and the Ptolemeans can be made much stronger.

On the same topic as 7 and 4... What is to stop Rome from trashing Germania and Sarmatia once it has Carthage, Gaul, and the Mediterranean? In other games I've found that the game is over by then, unless you pump up the North.
Their new units, which don’t arrive on time right now but this will be fixed! :( I might place all their cities on marshes to avoid Roman conquest but I would prefer something less drastic (with some Roman conquest of Germania possible for example).

Slaves work too slow to get the production needed for Rome to build units in time to survive, mainly because Rome can't conquer and enslave enough of them because of their weakness... I've tried placing 2 mines already built for each city of Rome and giving every city a pre-built Fabrica, but its still not even close I've even tried giving slaves a worker strenth of 200 like Legios, which did help, but I do like the concept of needing a LOT of slaves like in history, but just cannot get them
Really? I usually get many of them (as long as you use legion and not velites to carry-on the main part of the action!). You also have the engineer who can greatly help in cutting your olive trees and mining your once idyllic hills…

ok pink! i have my civ installed and im starting up a new game. first thing i notice... i lost barium to magna graecia couse of those samnites... is this intended? i remember we talked about this. i think it is best to not have the capture flag... flagged lol. get back to me on this
Welcome back to Civ Coltrane :), the Samnites are so pitiful that you must give them that. They are not much of a threat even so. Plus no flag on capture allows no AI offensive strategy, remember!

I made all Republican governments (except Civil War) have +2 more support in Town and City... But no add. to Metropolis to signify the waste/lack of support per size/prosperity, besides keeping Rome weaker on a large scale.
Sounds logical! My approach was opposite, only in favour of the larger cities but now that I think about it, the more martial provinces were those at the borders and lightly populated (Illyria, Gaul, Noricum, Rheatia, etc.) while Asia (densely populated) was supposed to be effeminate and not very warlike :)

I forgot to mention that I have added 2 mines (no road) to the radius of every city in Rome, but slave value is normal... I hope to conquer tons of slaves to finish more! I am satisfied with the production from a city with starting fabrica, no upkeep and 2 mines so that units or gold from capitalization (forgot the term in RFRE) are available
Plus- no waiting to make the cities better by drawing resources away for buildings, instant action for an instant enemy...
With increased mine production and slave market bonus, I don’t think I would do that. Too much boost to the economy. Early legion are not really expensive, just need population and to be supported. Between legions, you can build one improvement and let the city grow again. I think it works quite ok as it is.

Plague can happen. In the times of the early Roman Empire. Intended?
There was at least a couple of serious plague that I can remember during the imperial times of Rome

the Science Advisor graphics tells me that Antonine's Golden Age requires Siege Engineering to be researched before it can be researched, yet it isn't. I think what the Science Advisor graphics imply make sense, too, since Siege Engineering has to do with Rome building up its fortress and walls along its borders, and then later Hadrian's Wall being one of the major accomplishments in northern England.
The arrow is hidden behind siege engineering… You need AGA to get that tech, not the other way around (same idea anyway).

the Servi looks odd when he "Fights Slave Unrest" ... did they fight slave unrests by doing the booty shake in those days?
Not choice, to get the possibility to have the AI strategy Terraform flagged, I need to check every worker action :(

Top Bottom