3-square radius cities mod

This is a great mod, however I have a question - how do you change the distance allowed to establish a city. Currently you can build a city 2 squares away from another city - is there somewhere you can increase that distance?

xau99 said:
This is a great mod, however I have a question - how do you change the distance allowed to establish a city. Currently you can build a city 2 squares away from another city - is there somewhere you can increase that distance?

Add this to your GlobalDefinesAlt.xml

[CODE
<Define>
<DefineName>MIN_CITY_RANGE</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>4</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
[/CODE]

Roger Bacon

RogerBacon:

Can you update your 3-square cities into Warlords Expansion?
I enjoyed this component in regular Civ4. :)

Thanks in advance.

dj_anion said:
RogerBacon:

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I think so, too! now I can not tolerance the 2-square in the Warlord!

dj_anion said:
RogerBacon:

Thanks in advance.

I haven't decided if I will get Warlords yet. It doesn't have anything I'm interested in since I rarely play scenarios. If I buy it I will upgrade my mods.

Roger Bacon

zulu9812 said:
Warlords ain't just the scenarios. There's new modding features as well.

I haven't heard anything about that. What new modding features are in there?

Roger Bacon

Konradius said:
I did it!!!

Thanks to the brilliant guides on this board I made my own version of this mod for warlords.
You can get it here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b714a2/

RogerBacon, perhaps you can add this link to the first post? Or do you want me to make a separate thread?

Enjoy people! :goodjob:

Konradius

Went to your download area FileFactory, only DETAILS there no download???
EDIT ok got your other post, and its posted in my forum area. Thx

Konradius said:
RogerBacon, perhaps you can add this link to the first post? Or do you want me to make a separate thread?

Konradius

I have updated the first post to include your warlords update.

Roger Bacon

It would be better if city radius depended on tech, civic, and/or perhaps actual accessibility of the tile (workability based on movement points it takes to get to the tile from the city, variable with civic).

Each civic would add a value to the workability cutoff. For instance, Feudalism, where workers are tied to the land, adds a small value like 0.5 to the workability cutoff. You add up all the other civics and their contributions add up to 2. So, any tile less than two movement points away is workable. This means that the hill across the river right next to the city may not be workable, but the grassland tile down the road a ways may be.

I guess something like that would be too hard and complexifying for the benefit, but it would add to the feel of verisimilitude much as better graphics do.

It is certainly not impossible, but for the moment a bit too much for my coding skills (or at least my time investment).
However, do know that something like this is already in place.
Because you can only cultivate plots within your borders, a city will have to have a culture rating of 3 to get its full range. This already is something of an obstacle, and you can even increase this difficulty by combining this mod with one that slows border expansion.

I for one mostly like this change because I like to play on larger maps, and this keeps the number of cities down to a managable number.

Konradius said:
I for one mostly like this change because I like to play on larger maps, and this keeps the number of cities down to a managable number.

That was exactly why I made it. :)

Roger Bacon

Hello RogerBacon

I'v played your mod a lot, indirectly though, because I'm addicted to SEVO mod and Fujisan has written a mode based on your 3x3 mod named 'Megapolises' as an add on to Sevo's.

Now I'm addicted to 3x3 cities, can't go back.

The problem is that Sevo has released a new version which leaves me with an incompatible add on (by Fujisan).

Do you think (I'm on my knees actually) that some collaboration with Sevo will be possible so you can release your mode as an add on for sevo's mod ?

I'v asked Fujisan but it's too difficult for him since some DLLs has changed. (nothing I understand)

Thanks in advance.

simkodavid said:
Hello RogerBacon

I'v played your mod a lot, indirectly though, because I'm addicted to SEVO mod and Fujisan has written a mode based on your 3x3 mod named 'Megapolises' as an add on to Sevo's.

Now I'm addicted to 3x3 cities, can't go back.

The problem is that Sevo has released a new version which leaves me with an incompatible add on (by Fujisan).

Do you think (I'm on my knees actually) that some collaboration with Sevo will be possible so you can release your mode as an add on for sevo's mod ?

I'v asked Fujisan but it's too difficult for him since some DLLs has changed. (nothing I understand)

Thanks in advance.

Hi simkodavid,

I'm glad to hear you enjoy 3x3 cities. Some people seemed to think the 'fat cross' of cities was sacred and didn't care to see larger cities.

I'm guessing the new version that Sevo has released is due to Warlords. I don't have Warlords and don't plan to buy it anytime soon because I've been involved in something else recently (I'll be flying an airplane this afternoon if the weather is good).

The code to make the 3-radius cities is in my mod on page one of this thread. It is only two files and I seriously doubt that they changed that part of the code for Warlords. Sevo or fujisan should be able to copy and paste the changes over to the new cpp files and build a new DLL pretty easily.

Actually, Konradius has ported the code to Warlords already. If Sevo mod doesn't use a DLL you can just use Konradius' DLL (which I've added a link for on page one).

Roger Bacon

Thanks RogerBacon

Actually Sevo's last release 3.1 isn't for Warlords yet, I myself and many others don't plan to shift to Warlords as is because the gaming level of Sevo's mode combined with three squars city is much superior IMHO.

Anyway I envy you for flying an airplane.
I'll convey your reply further.

One should always keep hoping.

Thanks

Top Bottom