All Cities producing Gold but still having Science ?

PunkO

Chieftain
All my cities were producing Gold (instead of Science) but I still had +8 science ..? How is it possible ?

Maybe you have a courthouse , bonus, maybe you have a resource like silk how give +3 science or something like that.

great scientist in your city

Libaries give 2 science and Universities give 4 science when you're focusing on Gold. Also, you still get the bonuses from researching Uni or Literacy first etc.

No, the ONLY way to get 'base' research in you cities is to discover the TECHS Literacy, University, and possibly others first

Buildings MULTIPLY or add to Tiles, they never add to cities (except for Culture, they will add culture)

I seem to remember reading somewhere in the manual that libraries, universities, markets and banks all add to your science/gold even if you aren't focusing on them (although it may be 2 and 5 not 2 and 4, I don't have it at hand), in addition to multiplying your base rate.

Interesting.Very Interesting. but I doubt it because you can only focus on one of them, not both, are you sure you didn't have a small forgotten city producing science?

I seem to remember reading somewhere in the manual that libraries, universities, markets and banks all add to your science/gold even if you aren't focusing on them (although it may be 2 and 5 not 2 and 4, I don't have it at hand), in addition to multiplying your base rate.

You're right, it's in the manual (pages 16-17 in the UK edition under "Changing the City's Focus" which discusses the city toggle between Science and Wealth). Anyway, according to the CivRev Civilopedia that's not the case, at least not for libraries and universities. If you read the Civilopedia section on "Technologies: Increasing Science Point Output" it says that the city must already be generating some science output in order for libraries or universities to be effective. It specifically says "However note that the city must be generating at least some research for these to be effective - two times zero is still zero".

I wonder which one is correct.

Well it IS possible to have science/gold without focusing on it

so
city focusing on gold, but gets +1 Science for free (first to University)
the *2 from Library or *4 from University (or *1.5 from Democracy) still applies

that may be what the manual is talking about.

Yeah, but the manual says +2 or +5 for a library or university, not *2 or *4, its the 5 instead of 4 that's odd.

Top Bottom