The Civ Atlas: BNW Civs, City-States and Wonders on maps

This atlas looks great!! But maybe you should have Carthage in Iberic Peninsula too. I don't remember their city list but Cartagena and Gades are among the first cities, and they're all in Spain.

To whoever brought this back to the top, thanks. Was looking for this everywhere and couldn't seem to find it

This should just be stickied; it's interesting to check out and reference, but there are too many lulls in the conversation to keep it accessible.

Uhmmm, The place in which some of the countries are put is kinda arbitrary. Rome is the worst case, with nowadays Italy's borders

But it is a good work :cool:

Uhmmm, The place in which some of the countries are put is kinda arbitrary. Rome is the worst case, with nowadays Italy's borders

But it is a good work :cool:

Please refer to the disclaimer from the original post:

But first, a disclaimer: These maps are not intended to be accurate. For instance, they don't show most great empires - such as the Mongol or the Roman - at their greatest extent. That would be impractical to drawn and ugly to look at.

Thank you all for the compliments!

It might be fun to make a pink & blue map to show the geographical distribution of land by the gender of the leader. With Catherine and Wu, the world might be surprisingly pink.

:lol: If it's a largest extent map, then Elizabeth would assure pink's victory. Genghis Khan, help us all!

Damn that map is Eurocentric. Half of all civs are all being smashed into one another in Europe and the rest is mostly blank. (Beside Asia.)

Damn that map is Eurocentric. Half of all civs are all being smashed into one another in Europe and the rest is mostly blank. (Beside Asia.)

Except Asia is really empty in western and central China, the whole of Siberia and every in India except New Delhi. Even Mongolia is a bit iffy, there's a lot of different people up there historically in the steppes. (And Japan, Korea and Siam are as good as you could hope for really)

Cahokia and Singapore are currently misspelled on the map. And I'd have to check, but didn't they use the spelling "Marrakech" in the game? (Though we have reason to think that won't be a City-State much longer.)

Cahokia and Singapore are currently misspelled on the map. And I'd have to check, but didn't they use the spelling "Marrakech" in the game? (Though we have reason to think that won't be a City-State much longer.)

Thanks! I've spotted a few mistakes myself, let's wait for a better reason to update it and maybe Marrakech won't be a problem anymore ;)

Iroquois territory should contain Montreal as well, as it is one of the cities in the Iroquois city list.

Iroquois' borders are always trouble, specially because the map template missed the Ontario lake... I'll see what I can do.

Thanks! I've spotted a few mistakes myself, let's wait for a better reason to update it and maybe Marrakech won't be a problem anymore ;)

Iroquois' borders are always trouble, specially because the map template missed the Ontario lake... I'll see what I can do.

1. Draw Lake Ontario if possible (even if it is not accurate; it would be useful for both the Iroquois, as well as the placement of Toronto's CN Tower); Lake Simcoe is in the Iroquois city list as well; Lake Simcoe is a lake just north of Toronto.

2. Montreal is nowhere near Lake Ontario.

3. Lahore is in Pakistan, as well as in India's city list. Perhaps India's boundaries can be extended to the Indus River, but as horizontal stripes.

4. Varna is in Bulgaria, as well as in the Byzantines' city list. Perhaps the Byzantine's boundaries can be extended to Bulgaria, but as horizontal stripes.

Thinking about it, how about a map with only the Civs' capitals, alongside the one of civs' rough territorial range? That's the method I used in the past to determine geographic balance in Civ4. It has its disadvantages compared to the current geographic distribution map, but, on the other hand, it also offers a different way of looking at things.

3. Lahore is in Pakistan, as well as in India's city list. Perhaps India's boundaries can be extended to the Indus River, but as horizontal stripes.

I both agree and disagree with this point, it's a tricky one. The land of India, before the fall of the Viceroy, included Pakistan and Bangladesh and had done for centuries/millennia, and considering the Mughal fort and the War Elephant it's obviously a Renaissance Era - but Gandhi pushes it into the middle of the 20th century, in which case it should definitely maintain it's modern borders and no more.

That pesky Gandhi, always up to mischief.

Regardless of Gandhi being the leader, India as in the game should reflect the historical India at least as partially shaded. It seems that there are few odd choices for sudden hard cultural boundaries in some cases, but not others. The most obvious are:

1. Byzantia appearing to cover no space at all
2. The Ottomans only appearing to be in modern Turkey
3. Rome limited to modern Italy
4. Arabia limited to the Arabian Peninsula
5. India limited to the modern boundaries of India (as mentioned above)
6. Poland limited to it's modern boundaries

In fact, this tends to go on a bit.

Is there a bland version of this World Map?

First of all, great work on the maps! They look awesome! :D

There have been various people saying that some civilizations have their borders wrong (usually limited by their modern ones), and while that is true, if we made every single one of those represent their historical borders, the map would simply be too confusing to understand (just in Europe, everything would be stripes, specially considering the area the Roman Empire covered). Heck, Mesopotamia is already crowded, as it is.

The only way I can see to solve this issue (while still being readable) would be to makes various maps of different time periods - that way, there wouldn't be (as much) overlap, and we could actually see the extent of everyone's borders without too much problem. This would actually make showing the colonies viable too.
Then you could join them together in a neat "little" .GIF! :p

I am aware, however, of the work this would entail, and considering the limitations, I think it works great as it stands. :)

First of all, great work on the maps! They look awesome! :D

There have been various people saying that some civilizations have their borders wrong (usually limited by their modern ones), and while that is true, if we made every single one of those represent their historical borders, the map would simply be too confusing to understand (just in Europe, everything would be stripes, specially considering the area the Roman Empire covered). Heck, Mesopotamia is already crowded, as it is.

The only way I can see to solve this issue (while still being readable) would be to makes various maps of different time periods - that way, there wouldn't be (as much) overlap, and we could actually see the extent of everyone's borders without too much problem. This would actually make showing the colonies viable too.
Then you could join them together in a neat "little" .GIF! :p

I am aware, however, of the work this would entail, and considering the limitations, I think it works great as it stands. :)

The least I would ask is that huge tracks of white weren't left in regions clearly covered by current Civilizations. The most obvious are in the Caucasus, the Sub Continent and the Balkans.

Top Bottom