The Netherlands (pre-release thread)

I am interested in the sea beggar unit in a big way. Hopefully, we learn more about it soon. The naval game does sound like it will be much much better. Waiting for GnK is probably going to be a real drag for the next month. I hope somehow it goes by fast.

Good thinking.

Dangerous for the enemy, yes. It slows down an enemy invasion and makes it easier to destroy them.

Marches are the best tiles for defense. They slow enemies, provide a defensive penalty and you may fire over them. It makes ranged units very happy and ranged units are most important when defending :)

It depends on the position of the marsh, your city, your army, and the enemy's army. If the marsh leaves room for your army next to the city while forcing the enemy to either walk on it or make some awkward manoeuvers, then it's great. If it's behind your city, it makes no difference, or may even render your reinforcements slower.

In the 1066 AD scenario, between the two northenmost cities of England, there are two rivers dividing 6+ hexes of marshes, surrounded by some mountains and hills. That patch of land was a nightmare to cross, since the defender had a couple of crossbowmen and a catapult waiting for me on the other side...

A new video showed the Polder, and it is available on marshes and floodplains.
It gives +3 Food, and it is unlocked at Guilds, a new early Medieval tech.
Unknown if it is providing Tulips as a luxury resource.

If it gives Tulips, then it is a great unique improvement with the floodplains and early tech.

I got to watch out for the Dutch. Their Sea Beggars would steal gold from my ports and they will likely be very wealthy.

really? +3 food on flood plain. Netherlands is better than all the desert civs.

It depends on the position of the marsh, your city, your army, and the enemy's army. If the marsh leaves room for your army next to the city while forcing the enemy to either walk on it or make some awkward manoeuvers, then it's great. If it's behind your city, it makes no difference, or may even render your reinforcements slower.

In the 1066 AD scenario, between the two northenmost cities of England, there are two rivers dividing 6+ hexes of marshes, surrounded by some mountains and hills. That patch of land was a nightmare to cross, since the defender had a couple of crossbowmen and a catapult waiting for me on the other side...

don't forget - if the marsh is in your territory (obvious if you're building a Polder there) you can just build a road on it and not have the movement penalty - but the enemy still gets it.

I thought I'd post what Prince William says in his leader screen and translate for you guys:

"Ik...ben Willem van Oranje, stadhouder over de Nederlanden. Behoeft gij iets? Mij staat nog veel te doen."

First of all, nice to see it's not modern Dutch, but probably more like what he spoke at the time (though not very very different. Perhaps it's a mixture of old and new Dutch...)
Translated, he's saying:

"I...am Willem of Orange, stadthouder* of the Netherlands**. Do you need something?*** I still have a lot to do"

*regent? governor?
**plural, which is common in English but not in modern Dutch (Nederland). This may signify the time period in which he lived when he referred to the Netherlands as including more than the modern day Kingdom (i.e. Belgium)
***Some old Dutch (although may still be in use in modern Dutch in some dialects)

*regent? governor?
Stadtholder ;)
**plural, which is common in English but not in modern Dutch (Nederland). This may signify the time period in which he lived when he referred to the Netherlands as including more than the modern day Kingdom (i.e. Belgium)
No, it's called the 'Nederlanden' (Netherlands) because the collection of seventeen provinces in the low countries (Netherlands and Belgium) were called the seventeen 'Nederlanden'.
Belgium was part of Spain in that time, *not* of the Netherlands.

The Netherlands as we now know it was called the 'northern Netherlands' and Belgium was called the 'Spanish Netherlands' or 'Southern Netherlands'.

But what I find weirdest of the leader video is that Willem of Orange speaks Dutch, I was expecting French, actually.
As far as I know Willem of Orange hardly knew how to speak any Dutch.
==========================
And no mention of tulips so I think we can assume that that's no more than speculation.

What he said ^^

damn, out-Dutched by the other Dutch guy on this forum.
You're right of course. I had temporarily forgotten my Dutch history lessons from high school :blush:

...and with regard to tulips...I'll be very annoyed if we don't get our tulips!!

I do wish they would remove the 'the ai gets more happiness then you, deal with it' thing.
Higher difficulties should be harder because the AI uses better tactics and optimizes certain things. Not because they are showered with gifts to give them a head start.

Well, duh, we all want that, the developers too. The problem is that creating a clever and cunning artificial AI is a monstrously difficult task; which is made all but impossible by the very short amount of time people are willing to wait between turns.

The Netherlands I felt was going to be Arabia.2, but it seriously just looks like Arabia and a half IF it doesn't get the tulips. That would be really nice...but still. I just don't think the Sea Beggar and polder make up for a UA which should have had just a little more to it.

The Netherlands I felt was going to be Arabia.2, but it seriously just looks like Arabia and a half IF it doesn't get the tulips. That would be really nice...but still. I just don't think the Sea Beggar and polder make up for a UA which should have had just a little more to it.

Could not agree more. It is a real real shame.
Consider the fact that the bazaar (in vanilla) gives:
Copies of luxuries (at least +4 happiness potential per luxury through trading, with potential for more depending on how many copies are available)
+2 gold for oil
+2 gold for oasis

and compare that to the Dutch UA:
+2 happiness potential per luxury through trading

and you can't help but think they really lucked out on a decent UA.
There are so many awesome things they could have done with it to make them a real trading civ!

I don't like the Dutch UA as well. But the bazaar needs to be researched and built first, whereas with the Dutch, it'd make sense to play a Tall empire (no happiness issues), trade away every luxury you have as fast as you can, netting you gold to invest in f.e. alliances with City States which in turn give you luxury to trade away without losses.

The Dutch will be the big City State oriented civ of the expansion.

So the bonus of the Dutch UA is that
1) you can use it from turn 1
2) it doesn't need any investment.
3) the polder gives you an additional luxury (tulips) just for you to trade away.

VOC may be underwhelming but it really depends on what polder and sea beggar really do. If polders can create >1 tulips then that adds value to the UA that is otherwise not stated on paper. Like Arabs, UA would seem useless but the UB is great as is the UU.

+3 food on marshes and flood plains seemse pretty neat, even without the Tullips.

And if trading works more or less like it does now, their UA allows for an amazing cycle of selling luxuries->buying CS->selling more luxuries, while you keep gaining enough happiness to sustain at least a tall (and perhaps even a medium) empire.

With Polders and the UA, you'll be able to build an amazingly rich and happy tall empire with a focus on diplomacy. That's pretty good, add Tullips and it's excellent,

If its plus 3 food on a marsh and doesn't remove the marsh then its only 4 food just like a grassland river tile. Unless its also affected by biology and civil service not amazing, and it affects floodplains too is that new info? If thats the case I doubt you get a tulip resource for every polder or you could get arab level excess.

Top Bottom