IO6 - Civilization V!!

That sounds like a penalty to me - should that be decreases construction? Or maybe increases production? Or am I just reading this wrong?

50% increased construction rate. He left out a word.

You are correct.

So, here's my PPP

Settle 1 NW, on the first turn.
Research Mining->Animal Husbandry
Build Worker
Explore stuff

That will be enough for ten turns. Agreement reached?

.... disengage lurk mode

I've been wondering about how to comunictate tile locations using hexs.

This is what I think. Obviously #E, #W, #NE, #SE, #SW, #NW work fine. However when you want to indicate N or S I think it has to become a multiple of 2 e.g. on your starting screen gold would become 2N. Why 2? Well because it will take two movement points to reach that hex (always treat it as uninhibited movement even if its a hill etc).

Another example from your starting screen would be 2N1NW for the hill between the gold and the deer.

Sorry if this is obvious or misleading. Please post your thoughts on this!
engage lurk mode....

Here's how I propose that it work:

Directly east is direction E
Southeast is direction SE
Southwest is direction SW
West is direction W
Northwest is direction NW
Northeast is direction NE

that covers all six.

Playing now BTW.

Kibitzers Comment:

The number pad works and no confusion, once you get familiar with them. Move 333, move 344.

Well now, some stuff happened this turnset. I went screenshot happy because it's a new game and it looks pretty good, so even though I only played ten turns, I managed to take 12 screenshots. Odd.

To wit:

TURN 0

I found the city of Kyoto on the spot agreed:

Revealing... well nothing really.

TURN 1

Our warrior found a ruin:

A very shiny ruin.

TURN 2

So, in turn, I move our warrior to pop the ruin.

It reveals where the barb encampments are. Joy. If you really want to know where the two are, just look on the map. They're the random circles in the fog.

TURN 3

We meet our (hopefully) soon-to-be ally, the City-State Helsinki!!

They're only about five turns from our city, so they'll be easy to defend if, say, Russia (it always seems to be Russia) attacks.

TURN 4

Nothing.

Turn 5

We find another ruin!

Also, as you can see, north of us is tundra. What say you to expanding southwards?

TURN 6

We pop the ruin and get:

An extra citizen for Kyoto! Now at this early of the game... THIS is useful.

Turn 7

Our warrior nears some barbs...

IBT

The barbs attack!

But, they don't do as much damage as we do:

TURN 8

Now, let's take a look at the odds, shall we?

Those look like pretty good odds.

So...

We attack, we win, we get 25 gold, we pass GO, we collect 200 dollars.

Let's move on. (None of you will get the reference here, but I'm putting it in anyway)

TURN 9

We discover our FIRST tech!!

Mining!! I also tell the warrior to heal up, because he's at like 2 HP now.

TURN 10

Nothing.

So, while this set was uneventful, I decided to spice it up with lots of pictures!

Also, here's the save:

Oda Nobunaga 3600

Now, I haven't decided on a roster yet, have I?

However, since Rex will get his on the 25th, I guess Gererun is up now. So, the roster is now set!

IdiotsOpposite - Just Played
Gererun - UP
Rex Tyrannus - On Deck

I found some +culture ruins two turns in so the time for everyone to make their decisions for the first social policy is now.

I'd vote for Honor to syngerize with our unique ability; heading towards Military Tradition first and then Professional Army.

Other than that, I figure Pottery is our next tech and we can decide whether to go for Stonehenge or The Great Library from there.

The worker farming the wheath is a no-brainer and since the culture is going to expand over the sheep naturally; I send him to mine the gold hill instead of buying it outright.

Another warrior should be in order once the worker comes out.

I found some +culture ruins two turns in so the time for everyone to make their decisions for the first social policy is now.

I'd vote for Honor to syngerize with our unique ability; heading towards Military Tradition first and then Professional Army.

Other than that, I figure Pottery is our next tech and we can decide whether to go for Stonehenge or The Great Library from there.

The worker farming the wheath is a no-brainer and since the culture is going to expand over the sheep naturally; I send him to mine the gold hill instead of buying it outright.

Another warrior should be in order once the worker comes out.

I'd also vote for Honor, if for different reasons.

Watch out on farming the wheat. It turns out, I found out, that farmed wheat is just 4 food here. Just a thought.

t10
I send our warrior over yonder on the gold hill to see what's on the other side and behold: another ruin.

t11
Our warrior excavates the ruin and discovers numerous ancestoral artifacts giving us the ability to select a new social policy. We choose to follow the path of honor.

t12
Our warrior scouts south to find another gold hill and a barbarian encampment!

t13
Not liking our chances, I put a river between us and the brutes.

t14
The worker finishes and sets upon farming the wheat. He'll be done in six turns, which is incidentally the same time the border will hopefully pop over the sheep. Our warrior retreats to friendly territory. Construction of a new warrior for a tag team barb killing duo begins.

t15
Our warrior fortifies to lick his wounds.

t16
We learn the secrets of Animal Husbandry and research on Pottery begins. Great joy as we discover horses just beyond the sheep.

t17
The barbarians are making a move!

t18
They cross the river and arrive on Kyoto's doorstep. After the city defenses soften them up, our warrior scores a decisive victory by making a rapid crossing of the river behind them at dawn to ambush their flank.
In honor of Japan's first great military victory; he is given a commendation and promoted to Drill 1.

t19
Our warrior heads into the city to heal next turn.

t20
Our second warrior is made and our first unit should be healed up next turn. Our worker is done with the farm and Kyoto will grow again in 12 turns.
However, our culture has expanded over the silver instead of the sheep. No matter as the sheep hex will only cost 50 gold to buy.

The fate of Nippon is now in Rex Tyrannus' hands.

IdiotsOpposite - On deck.
Gerurun - Completed turns.
Rex Tyrannus - At bat.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ccjq9r9gtwcw59d/IO6 SG.Civ5Save

Let's go for the GL slingshot gentlemen.

Update. Civ5 arrived this afternoon. I'm installing now. I'd like to play an SP game for a few hours. Look for me to comment on the state of affairs tomorrow, probably play Sunday.

Let's go for the GL slingshot gentlemen.

Hmm... I'll vote on that right after you explain it.

Update. Civ5 arrived this afternoon. I'm installing now. I'd like to play an SP game for a few hours. Look for me to comment on the state of affairs tomorrow, probably play Sunday.

Will do Rex. Can't wait.

I get a runtime error when I try to open Gerurun's save. I can open IO's, however. Can anyone else confirm this?

Notice in the screenshot that I'm running the DX10/11 version. Should I be running in 9?

Since I've updated my drivers Civ V runs fine in DX11 so I'll be using that mode from now. I could re-save it if you want.

Okay. I'm still getting the runtime error in DX9 mode as well. Could you try to resave it? Also, could this be a patch/version issue? I look for a "check for updates" link but can't find anything in the interface. Does this Steam BS take care of that under the hood?

Lurkers Comment:

At the screen to select single player they display the patch level at the bottom. Steam should have automaticaly updated to 1.0.17. Not sure about loading while changing the DX level, I use DX11.

Top Bottom