Kotaku Reviews CivRev Singleplayer

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
A new review at Kotaku focuses on single-player gameplay for Civilization Revolution across the range of the five difficulty levels. The article is nicely divided into features and aspects that they loved and hated, praising the interface while lamenting the unchangeable map size. Although they gave no rating, here is their conclusion about the game:
For the most part, they've made the right calls. Sure, the game can be too short, and too small, and in some cases a little rough, but what Firaxis needed to do if this game was to ultimately succeed was take that core Civilization experience - the discovery, the advancement, the combat, the diplomacy - and ensure that even a streamlined version of the game still had you up at 3 in the morning, telling yourself you'll just have "one more turn". Which it does.

Judging by the comments in that link, it looks like Firaxis made a well-judged call in their approach to Civilization Revolution. Sure there will be gripes, but it looks like many Civilization virgins and other people who normally don't go for Strategy games will be drawn to the genre thanks to the simplified CivRev formula. Brilliant idea, even if it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

Yeah, lots of players who are new to the series have posted that they found the demo to be very fun to play, thanks to the highly accessible and simplified design. Getting more players into Civ is always a good thing. :)

It's not just new players. I think many veteran civers would find CivRev to be a refreshing change.

I do agree that Firaxis could have given players more options to customize the game when starting a new game, so people have some control over the world they play in.

What strikes me about all of the screenshots I've seen is that the game is zoomed in so far. Is there really no way to zoom out to a tolerable level? That would drive me crazy.

Ultimately, CivRev is the gateway (drug) to the serious addiction (the PC versions).

Ultimately, CivRev is the gateway (drug) to the serious addiction (the PC versions).
I've always thought of it like that too. As long as the PC versions keep their structural integrity, then the Civ series will always stay the "fine wine of the strategy gaming world."

Top Bottom