Tips for Mordern Warfare Tips needed!

Alvin

Warlord
The thign about mordern Warfare is that it's so confusing. I always lose when i get to the mordern age. I don't know why? Bunch elephants killing my MAs and consprict Riflemans killing my MI and the infamous losing to spearman with a veteran tank(full health). I need some tips bad!

Build up larger forces before you attack. Don't just send single MA's against your enemy, and don't guard your towns with single MI's. Send stacks of at least 10 MA, and guard cities with 2 or so MI (maybe more for those important border cities). Artillery/bomber backup is also nice, helps to beat your opponent to a pulp even before your MA attack.

You might want to check out some of the warfare tips around here, especially the War Academy; they have some great tips there.

bomb the crap out of cities before you attack them, and bomb the crap out of any enemy units that you can see to send them scurrying back into a town. i'm in a horrendous land war in one of my games right now ... i haven't counted the actual number but i have AT LEAST 50 artillery, and about 15 land based bombers. i only have about 20 infantry with the artillery ... when i get near a town i shell it and bomb it down to size 1 and with all the defenders having only 1 health left. then the infantrymen can easily take on the defenders, or even tanks and calvary if i am lucky enough to have some around. but normally i can just use infantry and i rarely lose anyone.

also make sure to have lots of railroads to shuttle troops to the front lines quickly. if you are invading by sea prepare a MASSIVE force of defenders as well as offensive units ... invading another continent is harder than you would think.

as far as tanks and calvary, try to avoid attacking when they only have 1 movement point left ... they usually can't retreat in enemy territory if they only have 1 move left.

but my best strategy for winning wars in the modern age is to win them in the industrial age first :) once your enemies get tanks and bombers you really have to be good to take them out.

gud luk!

Originally posted by nihil8r
but my best strategy for winning wars in the modern age is to win them in the industrial age first :) once your enemies get tanks and bombers you really have to be good to take them out.

Easily fixed, find the source of rubber and or aluminum, pillage, continue for all sources, then mop up what they already produced. Viola, one very large advantage on a silver platter. After that, Egypt fell pretty quickly to my panzers since they couldn't produce anything but riflemen. :lol:

Modern armor, lots and lots of modern armor. They defend almost as good as Mech Inf and nothing atttacks better. The only way to win is by taking over your enemies territory, art and bombers cant do this. I might loose more units by not bombarding but I will have more modern armor since I dont build bombard units.

I must agree with Woody, I never use Artys alot.

I think in the modern age bombers on carriers are more conveinent if they dont have many SAMs and fighters. And even if they do just use stealth bombers instead, I prefer them because artillery is rather slow.

Originally posted by Alvin
I must agree with Woody, I never use Artys alot.

once you get modern armor, artillery isn't really necessary. But in the industrial ages where defense rules with the 10 def infantry, artillery is the only way to guarrentee successful attacks. Most of the artillery I have in modern ages are just leftovers from industrial times.

I agree w/ nihil8r. My favorite strategy recently, is to identify and take all the oil on the map in the industrial ages. Once you secure it, it's hard for the AI to take it back since infantry are so defensive. Then you just holdout until you get tanks, and you've pretty much won. You can even start trading motorized transportation, mass production, etc. to the AI for gold and not worry because the AI won't be able to build anything!

Modern Armour is nice, but infantry/artillery stacks are better.

If you encounter size12+ cities defended by MI, you will lose many MA. That is not so bad if you can outproduce the AI, but this is quite tough when playing deity.

I find resource denial to be key. Forget about oil, but rather go straight for the rubber. I will sometimes bomb rubber resources from carriers, but it is much more effective to just march a MI/MA army straight to the rubber and disconnect it. This works best if you use a small stack, as armies can't pillage.

I also find myself with 100+ artilleries in the end game. I produce large numbers of catapults and spearmen in the early game, cause you can use them right through the game.

Don't forget Cruise Missiles, they're cheap to build and will kill any unit with 2 health points (sometimes with 3 HPs). I found them to be extremely invaluable in a war, if you build at least 7 or more of 'em. Don't forget that CMs are unit killers, unlike bombers and artillery. So you don't necessarily have to send in a MI or MA unit to take out a similar strength unit with only 1 health point. you can hit it with a CM to wipe it out completely if it is very stubborn to destroy with normal land forces.

I wonder what happens if you used a CM against a barbarian settlement?
Would it destroy the barbarian and the encampment or just the barb geezer!

but u gotta hand that there's a myor fault in the strength...there shoeld be an xtra skill something like ranged, rifle or something....an Spearman in the real thing can never defeat a tank unit....lets see 50 speaman or 15 tanks state of the art...machineguns everything...NO WAY SPEARMAN WIN!!!..but still they do

I agree with using artileraly, but I like to use them heavily with tanks, just a few MI for defense. Cutting resources can be key, but is not always needed... If they have the resources they build less units beause they cost more... because of that it sometimes is not worth the bother, although if it can easily be done than do it...

I belive that Massive air power,naval bombardment and overwhellming Artillery will do the trick. I usually have the smallest armed forces in my games but I have around 200 stealth bombers and 100 bombers with 100 fighters, 100 Agis crusiers and 50 Artillery pieces and a couple of cruise misles AND I ONLY HAVE AROUND 100 tanks, I still slaughter an enemy who has 5 times the tanks beacuse I hit them with everything Air land sea in one coheesive bombardment and use the MAs to sweep and the MIs to secure. I developed this kind of mentallity after being sick of having to roll 400 tanks to invade a decently strong nation. With this I bombard, sweep, secure, move up and repeat its efficient but incredibly time consuming (1 turn took me 15 minutes at hieght of one of my difficultest battles....stupid Germans wont die with outa fight :) )

o yeah and dont forget to load up marines on choppers to cut of reasources.

and if your fighting some one a ways away with my army load up on transports that are half tanks half artillery with a group of around 20 carriers and 20 agies cruisers and land ALL YOUR TROOPS IN ONE SPOT dont disperes cause youll get mutalated. USe air power to destroy all the roads surrounding the fleet to slow down reinforcements witch will land and fortify on high ground. After that Use the remaning air craft to bomb the surrounding enemy ships. Use the cruisers to pick em off one by one. THEN If u have some air power left over use that to get a head start on lowering the enemy city count. NEVER CAPTURE enemy citys on foriegn continents unless your vastly culturally advanced (I cant remember all thoose times I lost alot off men having a break to that stupid culture flip)....use the stratagie above from here and youll be alright...

Natrually, if you can get 200 stealth bombers, those guys are so damn expensive. You can buy two MAs with that amount of shields. Do you even have that many carriers.. UNless you use some cheats and trainers.....

:D ow well, i always slowly with small operation cut em back while i prepar trully un undefeatable line, then i overwhelm them cause they often lost a lot of production thnx too my strikes. then i burst out with everything i got slowly and steadely pushing the line foreward (will not work iff u don't have Battlefield medicine)

Originally posted by DiamondzAndGunz
Build up larger forces before you attack. Don't just send single MA's against your enemy, and don't guard your towns with single MI's. Send stacks of at least 10 MA, and guard cities with 2 or so MI (maybe more for those important border cities). Artillery/bomber backup is also nice, helps to beat your opponent to a pulp even before your MA attack.
ill try and get a screenshot of my attack force before my future war. i have 500 MA's in 3 differwnt sides of the americans, 100 radar infantry, 40 full transports with ground units and 50 stealth bombers
now i want to wait for the AI to be up there forces to give me some sort of challenge.
so i ythink that build as many as you can, and make a few friends.

Personally I like to declare war, wait for the enemy forces to mass, nuke them and finish them off with my troops.
This can eliminate virtually all nondefensive enemy units at the start of the war.

I then use a sweeping wall of tanks while nukeing everything in front of my troops.

Meanwhile a massive navy {which i always build} keeps off the nuke warers.

Note: this only works if you get nukes first.

Additionally remember that carriers are superior to cities for fielding air craft as they can move bombers to the line of assualt much faster.

Top Bottom