Editor gives error messages when starting, doesn't work 100%

Babylon746

Warlord
I've installed C3C on my new computer (Windows 8).
The game itself works, but when I try to open the editor, I get a series of error messages:
Spoiler :
Could not locate Civilization III: Play the World
Could not locate Civilization III: Conquests
These two end with the sentence:
"Please make sure the game has been properly installed and try again."

All error messages that follow end with the sentence:
"Check to make sure the editor is run from the folder where Civilization III was installed."
Could not open file: Art\Units\Palettes\ntp00.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\xtgc.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\xpgc.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\xdgc.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\xdpc.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\xdgp.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\xggc.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\wCSO.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\wSSS.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\wOOO.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\polarICEcaps-final.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\xhills.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\hill forests.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\hill jungle.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\floodplains.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\deltaRivers.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\mtnRivers.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\waterfalls.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\irrigation DESETT.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\irrigation PLAINS.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\irrigation.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\irrigation TUNDRA.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\Mountains.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\mountain forests.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\mountain jungles.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\Mountains-snow.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\roads.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\railroads.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\Territory.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\grassland forests.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\plains forests.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\tundra forests.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\tnt.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\goodyhuts.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\x_airfields and detect.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\pollution.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Terrain\StartLoc.pcx
Could not open file: Art\Cities\rAMER.PCX
Could not open file: Art\Cities\rEURO.PCX
Could not open file: Art\Cities\rROMAN.PCX
Could not open file: Art\Cities\rMIDEAST.PCX
Could not open file: Art\Cities\rASIAN.PCX
Could not open file: Art\Cities\AMERWALL.PCX
Could not open file: Art\Cities\EUROWALL.PCX
Could not open file: Art\Cities\ROMANWALL.PCX
Could not open file: Art\Cities\MIDEASTWALL.PCX
Could not open file: Art\Cities\ASIANWALL.PCX

After clicking through all these, the editor will open.

Then, when opening a BIQ, sometimes the whole thing starts over again; sometimes I 'only' get the first error message (with the ntp00.pcx).

The BIQ does open. But the terrain isn't displayed correctly - sometimes only the civ colours are missing (see attachment 1, from the Swedish Empire scenario), sometimes only a few resources and overlays are shown (see attachment 2, from the Middle Ages conquest that comes with the game).
Editing is possible in theory, but depending on how much of the terrain actually shows on the map, practically impossible.

For an unknown reason, a few weeks ago it was possible to start the editor without all the error messages, and I thought the problem was fixed. But today it reappeared.
I've now re-installed the game (in a folder away from Program Files - also to get rid of the VirtualStore stuff), but that didn't help at all.
Obviously the editor is looking for terrain files - and these files are all present in the correct folders (the game itself has no problem finding them). But why can the editor not find them - and how can I fix this?

Attachments

• editortrouble1.jpg
    editortrouble1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 421
  • editortrouble2.png
    editortrouble2.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 346
Oh ho ho welcome to my world. The only way I can fix this is by doing this:

NOTE: It will fail just like you mentioned unless you have a target folder within reach in the same place of the scenario's location.

-My scenario is named 'Earth'

1-Open your scenario, and go to scenario properties and make sure the 'scenario search folder' target is correct. My scenario's target folder is also called 'Earth'

2-Make sure inside your target folder you have your graphic terrain and player starting location for example: Folder named Earth=Art-Terrain.

3-Place your scenario and scenario's target folder in the same directory for example: Conquests/Conquests or Civ3PTW/Scenarios. THEY MUST BE TOGETHER or it blanks out again.

4-Open it as you normally would and click ignore all error messages. It should now be reading directly from your folder and it should work as normal. Thats what i do and it works.

Good Luck!!!

I forgot to mention you need to put city files in as well. Basically you have to have a copy of each file that is giving the error message inside your folder. If its too much work for you (It sometimes is for me) just restart your PC and hope it works lol. Tho i dont do that anymore since i got my files set up...

I've been having this exact same issue with one little exception: it seems to happen randomly. One day everything will work fine with the editor, no error messages or anything and the next I get the error in the OP. I haven't be able to narrow down anything that might be causing this to happen.

Is it a probelm with Windows 8? Because that is the only thing it seems we all have in common and I never get this error on my other laptop that has Windows 7.

Okay, so I think I've found a work around for this issue:

Try opening the Civ3ConquestsEdit.exe as an administrator and use the editor to open up your .biq file. I have tried this twenty times in a row to make sure this works and it has worked every time without an error message. Just to be sure I tried opening Civ3ConquestsEdit.exe not as an administrator and the error messages all popped up again.

So it looks like with Windows 8 you can't open the .biq directly, you have to do it through the editor as an admin.

I've got the same problem under Win8 and solved it by copying the missing files from Civ3/Art to Civ3/Conquests/Art. There seems to be a problem with installation paths under Win8.

I wonder what it is about Windows 8 that makes the CivIII editor go crazy like this?

I've also got this problem today.

This is weird, because for the past ~8 or so months of using Windows 8, I've not had any such problems.

I have Civ3 in 2 separate locations on my harddrive (one in Programme Files, and another in Documents, which is all the scenarios and stuff I copied from my old hd) and have been both editing and playing from both locations without a single problem until today. Weird.

suddenly my civ edit stopped giving me the drop down options. I also get the random message "cannot open file for writing" However ive had that message for years every now and then, but the pop up still appears and I can edit the scenario.

Suddenly the scenario properties and the edit tab do not bring up the box.

hot keys don't work either. I can use the right side of the edit bar to scroll down to "units" or "Eras" or whatever, but nothing happenes when I select the field to edit. Strangest thing to happen so far.

all mods, and scenerios are having the same issue.

Ive reinstalled steam, and civ complete. Changed out keyboard and mouse. Run as administrator. out of answers....

any ideas?

Attachments

• Image15.jpg
    Image15.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Image14.jpg
    Image14.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 281
  • Image13.jpg
    Image13.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 454
Yesterday suddenly my Civ III suddenly would not run. I got an ERROR LOAD FONT
(Error code 28)!!. I found a fix. But now I get. LOAD ERROR FILE NOT FOUND
"Sounds\Button OK. Wav" and of course the program will now close. How do I fix this this problem?

I have the same problem too the terrain got all black and its so hard to use when its black

The editor actually works fine for me on Windows 10, but the actual game crashes all the time.

If you are having problems opening your bic or biq especially with Windows 8 and 8.1, Commodore is correct. You need to set the Civ3ConquestsEdit.exe to Run as an Administrator.
If you want to edit Civ 3, set the Civ3Edit.exe to Run as an Administrator.

Then you can directly open and edit any bic or biq saved files by Double Left Clicking them.

For Civ 3 Conquests... Right Click the Civ3ConquestsEdit.exe and Click Properties. Then Click Compatibility. There under settings, place a check mark in the box for "Run this program as an administrator". Click Apply and OK.
For Civ 3... Right Click the Civ3Edit.exe and Click Properties. Then Click Compatibility. There under settings, place a check mark in the box for "Run this program as an administrator". Click Apply and OK.

I am using Windows 8.1 Pro system 64.
I just had this problem happen after getting Updates. Never happened before.

This is an easy fix for those of you that have the same problem.

Top Bottom