GOTM 159 Spoiler

Peaster

Emperor
This scenario turned out surprisingly close to history, considering how little control the designer has over the AI and random events. Russia provided a useful distraction in the East. The US was slow to get involved, and France flip-flopped. The Allies eventually invaded through northern France and southern Italy.

My plans were
i) get the Allies organized (to resolve the Atlantic, Africa, etc).
ii) get a solid foothold on the continent, perhaps in or near Amsterdam.
iii) build strong units ... battleships, bombers, spies and howitzers if science allows.
iv) don't screw up Democracy too badly (I don't usually like playing this govt).

I finished in approx 3 long days, real time, and offer these status reports from several Junes, stopping them well before The End.

June 1941 - The Allies are trying to gain control of the seas, but have lost many ships, especially to German U-boats in the Atlantic. We finally noticed the airstrips in Iceland/etc and took the hint. By June, we have a secure ship chain across the north Atlantic. We invaded an abandoned fortress near Amsterdam, flooding it with riflemen faster than the Axis could kill them off. They lost many units there. We have taken Tobruk, Tripoli and Amsterdam. We have started a fairly meaningless ICS in the South.

Axis: 4700g, 22 cities, researching C.Arms.

Allies: 500g, 21 cities, researching Espionage. We are "Strong".

Have 7 transports, 1 BS, 1Bo, 12Armor, 2Fr, 4Eng ..+Misc.

June 1942 - The Axis-occupied French cities did not have city walls. We have taken St. Naz, Paris and Bergen from our base at Amsterdam. But it is unclear how to attack Germany. We've stolen Adv Flight + Rocketry, but the Germans seem to build SAMs instantly, mostly defeating that plan. We shift our greedy eyes from Cologne and Oslo to Berlin, which has no SAM and none on the way.

The long-term plans are now Berlin (remove the capital) and Robotics (Howitzers). We shift away from Taxes, towards Science and Freights. One Oil delivery about this time, for approx 1100g, helps a lot.

Axis: 3500g, 19 cities, researching Econ (several poor tech choices!).

Allies: 1600g, 29 cities, researching Computers. We are "Mighty".

Have 8 transports, 1 BS, 3Bo, 9Armor, 3Fr, 0Eng ..+Misc.

June 1943 - We have taken Berlin + Frankfurt + Taranto. IIRC, we weakened Frankfurt through massive Industrial Sabotage until either Walls/SAM came down. Moving the Axis capital to Kiel did not allow us a period of cheap bribes, as hoped, but it cost them approx 1100g. So, we repeated the Frankfurt plan at Kiel, and removed its Coastal Fortress. Big ships approach !

Axis: 1700g, 16 cities, researching Fundy [lol]. At war with Russia.

Allies: 2300g, 32 cities, researching Robotics. We are "Mighty".

Have 16 spies, 10 transports, 2 BS, 4CrM, 5Bo, 10 Armor, 2 Fr, 3 Eng ..+Misc.

June 1944 - No comment really, except that Howitzers will change everything. In hindsight, the status reports above and most of my other plans seem almost meaningless ! More data on request, but my logs are not very detailed.

1940/6 Three German subs near America killed. Detroit founded.
German tank in N. Africa killed. Lost 3 destroyers and a fighter near England.
Single remaining tank in mainland Europe kills Amsterdam's single defender. Amsterdam captured for 150g and stuffed with 4 vet defenders from London. 2 Partisans appear. Alpine, 2 tanks, and 2 bombers near Amsterdam killed.
Sold unneeded structures.

1940/8 Axis kill 3 units around Amsterdam and reach peace with French. Airport rushed in Baghdad.
3 Axis units killed around Amsterdam. 4 submarines sunk.
Tobruk captured for 90g. 2 partisans appear and are killed.
2 battleships barely kill the 2 defenders of Bergen which is captured for 67g.
Advanced Flight stolen from Kiel. Gems from Manchester to Frankfurt for 390.

1940/10 Axis kill 5 units around Amsterdam. -> Espionage -> Labor Union.
2 Axis bombers, 2 battleships, and 3 other units killed. Tripoli rendered defenseless.
Domestic delivery for 248.

1940/12 Axis kills a tank and brings a lot of forces near Amsterdam.
3 Axis bombers and 11 other units killed. Tripoli captured for 128g.
Barbarian Irish partisan bribed for 102g.

Status at Dec 1940
Objectives: 18 Axis objectives: 17
Population: 18.8M; Cities: 21; Techs: 71; Government: Democracy
Gold: 936; Cost: 334; Trade routes: 18;
Useful Wonders: Pyramids, Shakespeare, Newton, Adam Smith, Suffrage, Hoover
Units: 2 Engineers, 49 defenders, 18 attackers, 4 fighter planes, 17 warships, 8 transports, 2 diplomats, 1 spy, 3 vans
Goals: Defending Amsterdam to keep the battle focused and predictable, capturing Oslo and Italian cities, more trade for money and tech, stealing Rocketry when Axis finally discovers it.
Russian: 31 cities, 63 techs, Communist, 26 objectives;
Turk: 5 cities, 61 techs, Monarchy, 2 objectives;
Axis: 20 cities, 66 techs, Republic, 16 objectives; Michelangelo, Copernicus, Bach, Eiffel; War with me and Neutrals
Spanish: 9 cities, 61 techs, Monarchy, 3 objectives; Magellan;
Neutral: 3 cities, 57 techs, Monarchy, 2 objectives; Allied with me, war with Axis
French: 11 cities, 64 techs, Democracy, 2 objectives; Allied with me

Opening Moves: Axis take Paris. Sub kills destroyer. Axis take Amsterdam. One tank in
France survives.

June 1940:
Belfast Cruiser disbanded. Retreat surviving tank south of Cherbourg, end up meeting german
tank stack; kill stack at 2/3 strength, but tank severely damaged. Kill 3 subs in the
Atlantic.

Plan: Robotics is only 2 techs away, and if I steal advanced flight I will put most of the
research into computers. Will then take Kiel, unload howitzers there and use the German
Railroad to take out the Reich. Will cut science and use freight for the necessary tech.

Taxes to 80%. Sell buildings; treasury up to 3522 from 1442; mostly universities sold.
Arrange production. Lift tank from Washington to Suez, another armor from New York to
Alexandria. Lose vet destroyer in North sea attacking German destroyer.

French make peace with Axis. Lose tank in Europe, rifleman on coast of England, and cruiser
and destroyer near America.

August 1940: Jerusalem Engineer, Suez Hides, Alexandria Oil, New York Dye, Washington Hides,
Edinburgh Oil, Manchester Oil, Southampton diplomat. Kill bomber.

Transport and Armour from Alexandria take Tobruk, 67 gold, sell police station. Axis demand
democracy, but I refuse. Take Bergen (44g) with units out of Edinburgh, but lose a marine.
Steal Advanced Flight out of Amsterdam. Sell buildings and rushbuy stuff. End turn with
3388 gold.

Lose cruiser to Axis BB, another BB kills itself against Southampton costal fortress.

October 1940: Suez Hides, Alexandria Highway, New York Highway, Washington Highway, Begin
Computers, Newcastle Airport, Manchester Airport.

Alexandria oil (d) to New York For 1918 gold. Kill 2 Partisans, battleship, 2 submarines.
Alexandria will now celebrate, so I regret selling its Aqueduct.

Somehow it is already October 1940!?!?! I guess turns are 2 months, not 1.

Axis units die attacking my stuff. Neutrals make peace with Axis.

December 1940: Jerusalem oil, Suez Highways, Alexandria Copper, New York Oil, Washington
Hides, Computers, begin Robotics, Edinburgh Airport, Newcastle Highway, Manchester Highway,
Southampton oil, London dye.

Reduce Alexandria trade to free Oil demand in New York, Suez Hides (nd) to New York for 542
gold, oil demand restored. Manchester oil (d) to New York for 1008g. Washington Hides (d)
to Ankara for 548g. Build Camport north of New York to have another airport into America.
Kill cruiser.

Axis develop Rocketry, kill rifleman in Crete. Camport airport, Jerusalem airport, Suez oil,
Tobruk temple, Bergen Temple, Alexandria Wine, Belfast Offshore Platform, Southampton
airport, London Airport.

Feb 1941: Take Tripoli for 107 gold (2 defenders, attack with 3 tanks), kill 2 partisans
also. New York oil (d) to Alexandria for 1853 gold. Alexandria copper (d) to Washington for
859 gold. Kill sub. Hire scientist in Athens to trigger discovery. Rush artillery enough
so that they will be produced as howitzers.

Cruise Missile attack against Battleship. 2 cruise Missiles and several bombers attack 2
battleships near Kiel, one dies, the other in the red. Bomber attack against Bergen kills
tank, razes city.

April 1941: Athens Silver. Robotics, begin Labor Union. Scapa flow beads, Jerusalem salt,
Suez salt, New York Wool, Washington Hides, 6 howitzers produced from upgraded artillery.

Attack Kiel, lose fighter. Take Kiel, 315g, city walls intact. Kill partisans, engineer, 2
alpine troop in Berlin (howie raid). Kill destroyer, sub. Alexandria wine (d) to Newcastle
for 984g. New York Wool (nd) to Washington in attempt to free oil demand, 72g, and it works.
Suez oil (d) to New York for 1965 gold.

Lose bomber near kiel, cruiser at Gibraltar.

June 1941: Athens airport, Scapa Flow diplomat, Jerusalem Highways, Suez Wine, Tripoli
Colosseum, Kiel Barracks, Alexandria copper, New York Oil, Washington Gems, Southampton
highway.

Kill various units, take Berlin, 420g, walls and barracks intact. Lose fighter and cruiser
attacking Amsterdam, before realizing there are several units in the city. Take Amsterdam,
133g.

Jerusalem oil (d) to Washington for 1302g. Washington hides (nd) to Alexandria for 430g.

Russians and Axis declare war.

August 1941: Athens Superhighway, Scapa Flow diplomat, Amsterdam Diplomat, Jerusalem cloth,
Suez Barracks, Alexandria wine, New York barracks, Washington Barracks, Labour Union, begin
Espionage. Edinburgh highway. Paris, in Disorder, costs 1644g to bribe. I'm not short of
cash, so I agree. Get 260 back, but unfortunately only 3 alpine troops, one defender. I
guess I really do need spies. Axis offer rocketry, then 700 gold for cease-fire. Refused.

Kill units, lose artillery, tank. Take Dresden, 270g, Take Cologne, 272g, Frankfurt 192g,
Munich. Prefabricated fortress built outside Munich to defend howitzers.

Athens silver (d) to New York for 1120g. Edinburgh oil (d) to New York for 817g. Washington
Gems (nd) to New York for 72g. Alexandria copper (d) to Edinburgh for 680g. Southampton oil
(d) to New York for 1120g. Suez hides (nd) to New York for 530g. Jerusalem salt (nd) to New
York for 444g.

Science to 10% to ensure discovery of espionage. Will rush a few diplomats to ensure a
supply of spies after production updated.

Axis move capital to Prague, various axis attacs, no losses.

October 1941: Disorder in Camport. Athens wine, Paris Colosseum, Amsterdam diplomat,
Jerusalem gold, Dresden Barracks, Frankfurt diplomat, Washington oil, Espionage (after all my
rushbought diplomats), begin Combined Arms, Munich Cathedral, but still disorder.

Attack Oslo with Battleship, victory, but lots of damage. Take Vienna and JS Bach's
Cathedral, 257g. Assault Taranto with 3 tanks and howie, city not emptied.

Milan defended by 3 troops and missile. Take Milan, 192g, clear Rome of its three defenders,
take city for 211g and Mike's. AXIS DECISIVE DEFEAT! Taxes back to 80%. Take Venice, 142g.

New York oil (d) to Alexandria for 1853g, and alexandria still demands oil. Suez Wine to
MAnchester for 380g. Suez salt nd to New York for 542g. Take Budapest, 73g.

Will finish the war with bribery, so rush many spies and not much else.

December 1941: Camport Temple, Paris spy, Amsterdam Spy, Mosul Engineer, Budapest Spy,
Dresden Spy, Frankfurt Spy, Kiel Spy, Cologne Spy, Newcastle Spy, Venice Spy, Milan Spy, Rome
Spy, Vienna Spy, Berlin Spy.

Take Prague, 307 gold. Axis give 1300 gold for cease-fire. Subvert Oslo (disorder, no
courthouse) for 130x2 gold. Cease-fire expires. Pay 102 gold for Partisan. Bribe Krakow
for 607 gold. Bribe Konigsberg for 607 gold. Bribe Warsaw for 759 gold. Bribe Bucharest
for 835 gold. ZERO AXIS OBJECTIVES. GOTM COMPLETE. Take Taranto. Only Axis city is Helsinki.

Wow! You finished by the end of 1941!? I say that is unbeatable. You probably have the gold medal and the green star on top of that. Make sure you mention when Axis decisive defeat was achieved for the green star calculation.

1941/2 Axis kills 6 units. 5 Axis units killed, a destroyer lost.
Domestic deliveries for 197.

1941/4 Axis develop Rocketry. Axis kill 2 naval units. 6 Axis units killed and a tank lost. Oslo captured for 98g; 2 partisans appear. Irish barbarian partisan bribed for 102g.
Domestic delivery for 344; foreign oil for 644. Rocketry stolen from Frankfurt. Spy turned vet.

1941/6 Axis gives up on attacking heavily fortified Amsterdam and kills 2 units elsewhere. Battleship survives 3 cruise missiles. 2 Axis units killed.

1941/8 Axis kills 4 units including my last transport in Mediterranean. 2 Cruise missiles render Paris defenseless. I can take it but I cannot hold it. I will wait.

1941/10 Axis starts fighting Russians and manages to kill only one unit from me.
Domestic delivery for 349.
Spy destroys city walls in Kiel and turns vet. At the cost of 1 Marine, 4 defenders of Kiel are killed. Spy destroys coastal fortress and is captured. Kiel is protected by 2 wounded ships.

1941/12 Axis kills 2 of my assault units around Kiel. Labor Union -> Combined Arms.
Domestic Oil from Suez to NY for 1528. Najaf and Lorestan founded. T3L3S4
3 wounded defenders of Kiel killed and the city taken for 252g. 4 Partisans appear; all are killed. Lost 2 fighter planes. Taranto attacked with 7 tanks and captured after losing one. There were a lot of fighter planes there. Lost 2 units attacking Berlin.

Status at Dec 1941
Objectives: 19 Axis objectives: 16
Population: 20.4M; Cities: 26; Techs: 73; Government: Democracy
Gold: 2070; Cost: 365; Trade routes: 28;
Useful Wonders: Pyramids, Shakespeare, Newton, Adam Smith, Suffrage, Hoover
Units: 5 Engineers, 45 defenders, 16 attackers, 3 fighter planes, 1 bomber, 15 warships, 8 transports, 1 diplomats, 2 spy, 5 vans
Goals: Capturing Berlin, bribing most other cities.
Russian: 32 cities, 63 techs, Communist, 26 objectives;
Turk: 5 cities, 61 techs, Monarchy, 2 objectives;
Axis: 17 cities, 68 techs, Republic, 16 objectives; Michelangelo, Copernicus, Bach, Eiffel; War with me and Neutrals
Spanish: 9 cities, 61 techs, Monarchy, 3 objectives; Magellan;
Neutral: 3 cities, 57 techs, Monarchy, 2 objectives; Allied with me, war with Axis
French: 11 cities, 64 techs, Democracy, 2 objectives; Allied with me

Make sure you mention when Axis decisive defeat was achieved for the green star calculation.

It was the second last turn.

Was there any particular reason you didn't go directly for howitzers?

I figured I needed spies even more and in retrospect that was an ok decision. Then I expected massive assault on Amsterdam and thought that mech infantry would make a big difference. Germans pulled back after a couple of turns though. Thus in retrospect that was a bad decision. Next I opted for combined arms which was a dumb decision. I was probably half asleep when I did that.

1942/2 Russians attack Helsinki. Axis kills 2 tanks and a battleship.
Domestic deliveries for 74, 288. Foreign Oil for 616.
Lost 3 spies trying to take down Berlin's city walls. Decided to go after Paris instead which has no city walls.

1942/4 There are 11 units in Berlin! 4 Cruise missiles kill 4 defenders of Berlin. A bomber kills another. Then vet tanks and artillery move in and kill the remaining units. Lost 2 vet tanks in the process. Berlin falls for 357g. Axis government flees to Dresden which has 6 units inside. It has to be wait for next turn. Sold my 10 cathedral to raise funds. Rome bribed for 2920g. Spy turned vet. Got Michelangelo, 131g, 7 units, and 14 structures! 2 Partisans appear and cost me an AEGIS, a tank, and a fighter plane to get rid of.

1942/6 Axis kills 5 units. 4 defenders of Milan killed and the city captured for 105g. 2 Partisans appear on mountains. Domestic Copper for 448. Revolting Paris bribed for 1176g. Spy escaped. Got 133g and 7 units, unfortunately 6 are defenders. Accepted Axis offer of 700g for cease fire as my treasury is low and my units exhausted. Another 700g for peace is eagerly accepted as well. AlAlamein founded.

1942/8 Russians capture Helsinki. Axis do not attack me. Combined Arms -> Computers.
Domestic deliveries for 300, 408. Foreign deliveries for 1127, 894, 128. Insisted that Axis remove their troops and they complied rather than declare war. Attack on Dresden protected by 6 good defenders resumes. I have 1 cruise missile and 10 vet tanks to throw at it. The battle costs me 3 tanks and 1 cruise missile. 5 partisans appear. One bribed away for 160g. Venice falls next at the cost of a cruise missile. 2 Partisans appear; one is bribed away for 155g. Vienna bribed for 1355g. Spy turned vet. Got Bach, 32g, 4 defenders, and 2 cruise missiles. Only 2 partisans appear. Munich bribed for 1058g. Spy escaped. Got 30g, 4 defenders, a cruise missile, and a bomber. 2 Partisans appear. Prague bribed for 952g. Vet spy lost. Got 3 defenders and a cruise missile. Axis decisive defeat achieved. Frankfurt falls at the cost of 2 Cruise missiles. 2 Cruise missiles and a tank spent on Warsaw before it is captured. 2 tanks and 3 riflemen spent on Konigsberg. Advanced Flight -> French -> 625g. Railroad, Industrialization -> Neutrals -> 75g. Krakow bribed for 1017g. T4L3S3

1942/10 Axis loses a couple of partisans attacking mine. Other partisans pillage. Bach causes quite a few celebrations. Lost a cruise missile, a tank, a cruiser, 3 riflemen, and a fighter plane attacking Konigsberg before it is captured for Copernicus. Cologne bribed for 692g. Vet spy lost. Lost a plane attacking Budapest before it is captured to pave the way for the capture of the objective city of Bucharest. Bucharest bribed for 867g. Spy escaped. Domestic Silk for 26. Axis has one city (size 1 Yaroslav) and no objectives left.

I thought I'd give this GOTM a try (though I know I won't be winning any stars), I'm a bit of a history nerd and couldn't pass up the opportunity. It sounded like a perfect scenario for a Let's Play too, so here it is. I'll have 8 episodes total, and should have them all posted in about a week. Here's the first one though...

Link to video.

Welcome NeptunesNook. Glad to have you in the competition. Make sure you submit your game based on the submissions guidelines in the first post of GOTM 159 thread.

Transport and Armour from Alexandria take Tobruk, 67 gold, sell police station. Axis demand
democracy
, but I refuse. Take Bergen (44g) with units out of Edinburgh, but lose a marine.
Steal Advanced Flight out of Amsterdam. Sell buildings and rushbuy stuff. End turn with
3388 gold.

Hitler demanding democracy. That was hilarious.

Hi,now I search hidden resources on the map WW II Europe played more times with all,but december 1941 is incredible...Wine near Basra,wine near Khursk,coal near Krasnoyarsk,etc to play for fun after the end:) Exists in forum the list to no waste time ? Thanks.

Not sure what you are asking. Could you please elaborate?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Examples : near Berlin,if make a forest in a grassland river tile can obtain silk(or wheat,wine with more work),near Warshaw if transform grassland tile in hills,coal,near Orsk,too,coal,near Kursk wine,etc,etc.When I played more years this map with all,I maked just these changes to increase the production,Axis can be defeated in 1941,1942,but must eliminate all to win the map:)).
I asked if exists a file in forum archive with this places,resources appears with terrain modified.I'm a player with patience,can play a map won,in this case keeping Washington and London for trade,every turn garrison killed,just for fun,to obtain a size 20 in a 'strange' city,near Krasnoyarsk,just mountains,gold near:)).For this 2 options,a save with Stalin but fundamentalism,no more trade,and with Hitler democracy,save with Churchill maybe in a CD,have just a save from other map,WW II Eurasia.
I try to verify all tiles,now see near London coal,near Alexandria wine,I will continue if I have time,but maybe exists a list,to not waste time.
I think explained clear now.
Thanks.

I saw that post,don't understand too much.The map is premade,Europe WW II,have already fixed I think locations of the resources can appears after transformation of a terrain.Is a formula too in this case,the map WW II Europe ? I don't hate formulas,ecuations,was mathematics teacher one year:)).

Catalin72, when we play on a "Known map" as is the case here, you are allowed to open the map in map editor and take a look at it. You can also quickly replace grasslands with another terrain type to discover the locations of hidden specials.

Catalin72, when we play on a "Known map" as is the case here, you are allowed to open the map in map editor and take a look at it. You can also quickly replace grasslands with another terrain type to discover the locations of hidden specials.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friend,I'm not an idiot,sure open the editor,I played that map like new scenarios,one time giving some engineers for russians,number of turns modified always,a 'nice' scenario giving more troups for neutrals to see the fights between Hitler and Stalin,the sounds of stealth planes fighting,Moscow erased from map,too much liberate:)),etc.
I verified a part of allied territory,tile with tile too see if have resources if transform terrain,coal near London and Bagdad,wine near Basra,etc.
But is a huge map,to verify all tiles =more time lost,and can work for NOTHING,this list with resources can be in this forum,a post.
Understand now friend ?

Top Bottom