FAQ: Civ4, Warlords and BtS on your Mac - in OS X or Windows

Product: All

Platform: OS X

Question: How can I play mods with more than 18 civs in the Mac version?

Answer:
Adding more than 18 civilizations in a third party mod requires a custom DLL, and the Mac versions of Civ4/Warlords/BTS/Colonization do not support these at all. The only way to play more than 18 civs is to run the recompiled versions of BtS supplied by Aspyr, which have the modified DLL code code built in. Road to War is an example.

Product: BtS

Platform: OSX

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, i couldn't find it, but how can I stop Civ4 BtS from creating a folder in Documents (i.e. is there a way to move it somewhere else)?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, i couldn't find it, but how can I stop Civ4 BtS from creating a folder in Documents (i.e. is there a way to move it somewhere else)?

Sadly no, at least not that I've found.

If you move it somewhere else, CIV will just create a new folder in Documents the next time that you launch it. I know because I have tried to move it. Some bright guy at Aspyr, most likely emulating a similar genius at Firaxis, hard coded it that way.

The road to war mod with
1936 - Global Assault (Hitler - Hirohito).CivBeyondSwordWBSave or
1936 - Global Assault.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
both have 30 playable civs.

That's correct. But those are recompiled versions of Civ4 created by Aspyr specifically including the Road to War DLL code. I have clarified my post to say you can't install a third party mod to play more than 18 civs.

Product: Bts

Platform: Mac OS X

Question: I can not send an e-mail in PBEM games when I finish a turn, how can I fix it?

Answer: Here's a fix by a friend of mine that lets you send e-mails in a PBEM game, assuming no other problem occurs, such as a blocked port etc. :

1 - Locate the file CvAppInterface.py. It should be found in /Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/EntryPoints/ or, for the Steam version, in /Users/-yourusername-/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/EntryPoints/.

2 - Either load Text Edit or sudo vi/nano in a terminal window, and add the following 118th line:
Code:
szPath = szPath.replace( "\\", "/" )
, preceded by a tab.

The file should then look like:

Code:
114         part = writer.nextpart()
115         part.addheader('Content-Transfer-Encoding', 'base64')
116         szStartBody = "application/CivBeyondSwordSave; name=%s" % szFilename
117         body = part.startbody(szStartBody)
118         szPath = szPath.replace( "\\", "/" )
119         base64.encode(open(szPath+szFilename, 'rb'), body)
121         # finish off
122         writer.lastpart()

3 - Save and reload the game.

E-mail can now be sent.

:cry: I've bought a brand-new iMac, moved my whole account + filesystem (with Migration Manager) from the old one to the new, and now Civ4 doesn't start any more. Civ5 works great. Does anyone have an idea, how this can be solved?

:cry: I've bought a brand-new iMac, moved my whole account + filesystem (with Migration Manager) from the old one to the new, and now Civ4 doesn't start any more. Civ5 works great. Does anyone have an idea, how this can be solved?

Did you migrate applications as well? How did you buy Civ4? You may need to reinstall it.

Top Bottom