Random SG 01 - The Randomness Begins

I think switch straight to the Shrine and finish the Monument after is a good idea, to get as much food out of the hunting pantheon as possible. Agreed on the research, and I guess our plan is to put in a worker next in the queue after Shrine and Monument to get those camps up and running.

Going a little ahead of ourselves, I say we should try to settle a second city by Mt Kilimanjaro and the Wine before Persia does so, because it looks like the best spot in this landscape. Maybe on the tile where there used to be a ruin, right next to Sheep and Wine? And unless our Warrior has something better to do it could stand watch for Persian Settlers coming in that direction and try slow them down.

(On another note: the play order says Polus has played already but has he really? I only recall Bugsy and Eric playing the Indonesia start.)

Mt Kilimandjaro is very, very sweet, but Darius is close, we'll need to settle that very early.

I'd finish the Monument, but I'm not sure what's best here. I've had that choice multiple times since the patch came out and I keep going back and forth, so I'd say do what you feel is best.

Definitely agree with AH into Trapping, connecting luxuries early is a must.

We will almost certainly have to go to war with Darius. Not necessarily early, but it's something to keep in mind.

Going a little ahead of ourselves, I say we should try to settle a second city by Mt Kilimanjaro and the Wine before Persia does so, because it looks like the best spot in this landscape. Maybe on the tile where there used to be a ruin, right next to Sheep and Wine?
There's the Gold as well, so that's Gold, Wine and Kilimanjaro. I don't think we can allow Persia to settle that, that would leave us with just Truffles and the one Wine, that's very meagre.

I think we should build a settler before a worker, otherwise it'll be turn 50 or so before we get that settler out, after shrine, monument and worker. We're giving too much time to Darius that way, even without that time he can easily beat us to it.
Carthage is nearly at size 3, I'd have it build a settler at that size. We'll be at 5 happy at size 3, still at 1 happy after founding a new town. That leaves still some time to build a worker and improve a lux, our towns will grow slowly anyway as long as the terrain is still unimproved.
The monument is mainly to some foody tiles in early, but that's not such a priority if we build a settler first and only improve luxes later.

I would go shine-monument-worker-settler.

If that's our landmass we will want to head toward optics soon.

A war will Darius will require a lot of ranged units. Immortals are tough.

3600 BC, turn 10 continued: We decide to switch to building the shrine now that's available. Set research to Animal Husbandry.

3560 BC, turn 11: Also Pearls show up in the south. At least there's more than just Truffles.

3520 BC, turn 12: The scout can grab a ruin, but I let it wait a turn, as Carthage is growing (if it is a citizen, you would rather have it just after the town has grown than before, as each citizen becomes more expensive in food).

IT: Darius asks for an embassy. No. I've understood having an embassy in your capital encourages the AI to settle in your direction.

3480 BC, turn 13: The ruin holds culture. We choose Tradition. I believe that was the favourite and we need the border expansion. It doesn't look like a map for Liberty > Masonry > Pyramids. Masonry would do little for us.
Carthage grows to size 3. This is all that it's doing just now:
Spoiler :
3440 BC, turn 14: Just moving units.

3440 BC, turn 15: Same thing. I'm moving them towards where Cape Town and the barb camp is. Some XP for the scout would be nice, to get him extra vision.

3440 BC: The shrine completes and I switch back to the monument. This turn is for the next player, but I wanted to switch back to the monument incase it got forgotten otherwise.

Here is the south of our continent:
Spoiler :
And here's where I would put our first town:
Spoiler :
It's a defensive position on the hill, right next to the mountain, and it gets the gold.
I saw that I made a oversight in my post earlier: we're only at 4 happy, so we would be at zero with a new town. I don't know if we can afford building a worker before getting the settler out, though. Or we could build a scout to help block any Persian settler coming. We'd need 2 units in the north to block a settler.

Here is the line up. I did short change Polus so he's up next.

Bugs
Optional <= just played
Polus <= UP (play 15 turns)
Teproc<= on deck (play 10 turns)
Gurra

Good set of turns Optional. The only time I accept an embassy is when both sides get one.

As for next city I was also looking at 1SW-1W of the dot. I think the dot is better because it gets the gold.

Go easy on attacking that barb. IIRC, the barbs do not have a combat penalty on level 7.

I would bring the warrior back to the gold to hinder Persian settlement.

Here would be my big question: Do we build a warrior before the settler for defense? Right now I am thinking settler first, but I can be convinced otherwise.

To hinder Persian settlement one warrior would do no good, the settler would get around that. But 2 units just north of Persepolis would block access completely until Darius gets Optics. What we could do is build a scout now, that's just 25 hammers, to join up with the warrior in the north and then give ourselves the time to build a worker before the settler.
I would expect us to have time to build a worker first - before the settler - when we block Darius' land route.

By the way, if it's Polus' turn, after the next border expansion of Carthage I would maybe buy a better tile to work if it's available.

I like the scout first plan. Good headwork Optional.

So we are looking for two things
1. Polus to say he/she has it.
2. Input from our other teammates.

That city location is even better than the one I suggested earlier, but I didn't see the Gold resource then. I too like the scout plan.

Disagreeing to the embassy is a wise choice for now. We already know where their capital is so there is no need until later when/(if) we want to do more diplomacy with them. I usually only agree to early embassies if city states have a quest of finding the civ and I really want influence and know their lands probably are far away or unreachable.

I like the scout blocker plan. It's possible that the continent ends at Persepolis, and in that case Darius will definitely want to expand that way.

I definitely agree with Optional's suggested settling spot.

For research, I still like AH > Trapping

Sorry, I've been out of touch... trying to wrap everything up before the holidays. I thought with the new game I was going to be the last to play, so I wasn't being particularly diligent with checking the thread :lol:

I will read through the comments then grab the save and play in the next few hours.

Pre-turn assessment:

I notice the barb threatening our scout; I check and we do get a 10% combat bonus. However, I agree that attaching is a slightly riskier option. It’s very clear that Persia can be easily choked off in the North. Will build a scout after Shrine to land lock Darius.

Turn 1 - Move scout in the south to hill, hoping to incite an attack from the yellow lined barb. Send warrior east to begin land locking Darius.

IBT - Persia founds Oral Tradition Pantheon (+1 Culture from Plantations); Animal Husbandy researched. Warrior attacks and redlines himself on scout.

Turn 2 - Set research to Trapping; due in 11 turns. Fortify my southern scout on the hill until either fully healed/kills a kamikaze barb.

IBT - Shrine completes in Carthage

Turn 3 - Begin Scout in Carthage, due in 4. Keep Scout healing and Warrior heading east.

IBT - Another Brute spawns in the south, our intrepid scout is getting surrounded... New policy pops

Turn 4 - Select Oligarchy as I want Legalism ASAP and I don’t think we will be building wonders particularly soon.

IBT - A Brute attacks our southern Scout.

Turn 5 - Warrior is in position to block Darius westward expansion

IBT - More attacks on our Scout, but he gets promoted.

Turn 6 - Take Sentry with southern Scout; it appears that Cape Town is on the edge of our particular land mass. Move Warrior to hill in the north which reveals a Persian Settler. Will keep our Warrior on his toes.

IBT - Darius moves his Settler out of our Warrior’s visibility. More attacks on Scout by barbs. Scout complete in Carthage

Turn 7 - Send newly minted Scout eastward to the front Persian line. Set Carthage to Worker, due in 10. Note, we dipped to -1 Gold this turn

IBT - zzz

Turn 8 - Continue Scout east

IBT - Darius has sent his Settler west... Time to dance a little and see if we can slow him down. Unknown civ chooses God of War pantheon

Turn 9 - Scout east, move warrior to force Darius’ Settler to move to a hill next turn.

IBT - We are 4th on people who like to smile the most.

Turn 10 - Move our warrior again to keep Darius’ Settler in hills.

IBT - More Settler movement

Turn 11 - Position our troops to slow the Settler. We now have both in position and should be able to keep Darius at bay with some micro every turn.

IBT - Tracking completes. Darius moves north.

I decided to pause here as I want some input on what do with research. I really don't have strong thoughts on the path to take, but I suppose Writing or Sailing wouldn't be terrible. I can either play my final 4 turns after consensus is reached or hand it off to the next person up as is.

Attachments

• DidoSG_2920BC.Civ5Save
    707.2 KB · Views: 88
Dancing with Darius now in theaters starring Polus as Kevin Cosner.

Personally I think we're going to be in a war soon. Military techs would be my priority.

Given that Darius moves the Settler and Warrior together every turn (always leaving them on the same tile) it should be possible to block him right there practically "forever" unless they decide to settle where they are. If they move to the snow hill or flatland to the north, you can block by sending the Scout 1NW and Warrior 1NE. And if they move back to the tundra hill or snow flatland to the right of where they are now - just move our units back.

Writing seems like a pretty important tech to me, but I don't know. Libraries are good, I guess. I usually play King on my own (probably moving up to Emperor soon though) so I'm not used to being as behind in tech as you are on Immortal.

Given that Darius moves the Settler and Warrior together every turn (always leaving them on the same tile) it should be possible to block him right there practically "forever" ...
They better, if the warrior wouldn't cover the settler we should immediately declare war and take the settler! :yeah:
But they'll stay together, you're certainly right about that.

I was afraid Persia was building a settler already, as Persepolis was at size 3 on turn 8 and still at size 3 at turn 15. Expansionist civs on Immortal are quite likely to get a settler out this early. I had expected Darius to be somewhat slower, then we could have held his settler a bit further back as well.
This situation now is a bit precarious. I can see a dance happening for a little while, provided we get our own mover right of course, but at some point I expect the AI to either settle or turn around to go elsewhere.
But Darius might not have any land available south of him, remember he sent his first settler straight over the ice towards us. That would be a strange thing to if there was better land south of him, unless the AI's scouting is a completely random shot in the dark. I don't know about that, though.

Top Bottom