College Football In Season Thread

Oh wow, sarcasm! I think their point was that LSU's defense has carried the team as far as it got, not that its offense was abysmal. Which I think is pretty much indisputable.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. LSU's offense was god awful, and the fact that they were playing the best scoring defense since 1988 and the only team to lead the nation in rushing, passing, scoring and total defense since 1986 had nothing at all to do with their performance.

When a team fails to move the ball, they have a bad offense. There can be no other explanation . . .

Yeah, I see your point. LSU was a pretty terrible team that just got lucky a lot . . .

That's right, just like KT. Embrace it!

You're just mad Landry Jones is coming back :smug:

Nah, not really. The only criticism in the conventional wisdom that I buy into that our defensive coaching and strategy needs to get better and there has to be improvement in the secondary.

Although I can't say I'm not looking forward to being really hyped over the Belldozer.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. LSU's offense was god awful, and the fact that they were playing the best scoring defense since 1988 and the only team to lead the nation in rushing, passing, scoring and total defense since 1986 had nothing at all to do with their performance.

When a team fails to move the ball, they have a bad offense. There can be no other explanation . . .

I would respond, but apparently the concept in question* -- explained four times on this page and the previous page alone -- is somehow evading you.

*Namely, saying a team is great defensively and mediocre offensively. Apparently there are no shades of gray in the universe, a team is either a GREAT TEAM LOLOLOL or TEH WORSTEST.

Yea, I really thought that was obvious. I mean, LSU did not have a first down until the third quarter of the SEC Championship Game. Georgia's defense is good, but it's not that good as we saw in the Capital One Bowl.

Another point Kraz is hinting at is that not that many teams in the SEC have a consistent offense, with a QB who can smartly manage a game. I don't think this is a necessary byproduct of emphasis on defense or anything, there have been plenty of great SEC QB's from the last decade, it's just a fact that should be acknowledged. It's a caveat to current SEC dominance.

I would offer that Tyler Wilson of Arkansas does...or at least did this season. And he is returning for his senior year too instead of entering the draft.

Yeah, Tyler Wilson was really the only good SEC quarterback this year.

edit: Murray was also decent.

I would respond, but apparently the concept in question* -- explained four times on this page and the previous page alone -- is somehow evading you.

*Namely, saying a team is great defensively and mediocre offensively. Apparently there are no shades of gray in the universe, a team is either a GREAT TEAM LOLOLOL or TEH WORSTEST.

This is actually helpful to me. You misunderstood what we were discussing. We were discussing what was responsible for LSU's poor offensive performance in the BCS title game . . .

I, uh...am really at a loss for words at this statement. Do you really, and I mean really, thing that playing the best defense in the nation had nothing to do with how the offense performed?

Seriously? :confused:

Wow. I just dont see how that makes any sense. At all. Did you expect LSU to run up 400+ yards or something? I dont get it.

Actually, there could be another explanation - they can have a great offense, but simply be playing the best defense in the nation....

This is actually helpful to me. You misunderstood what we were discussing. We were discussing what was responsible for LSU's poor offensive performance in the BCS title game . . .

Because they're a mediocre offense matched up against a great defense? That's exactly what was said, yo.

I, uh...am really at a loss for words at this statement. Do you really, and I mean really, thing that playing the best defense in the nation had nothing to do with how the offense performed?

Seriously? :confused:

Wow. I just dont see how that makes any sense. At all. Did you expect LSU to run up 400+ yards or something? I dont get it.

Actually, there could be another explanation - they can have a great offense, but simply be playing the best defense in the nation....
:lol: Yeah, sorry, that's my fault -- I did the same thing to contre earlier in the season apparently. Azale made a bad post out of frustration and I called him on it, then some of our less educated/informed posters picked up on the reply without reading through all the posts and I figured, "Hey, it's the end of the season, nobody's going to get anything out of this so why bother?" and I conceded their point. Obviously Alabama's defense had a great deal to do with LSU's lack of offensive success in both games, just as LSU limited Alabama's performance. That's what great teams do when they match up against one another . . .
Because they're a mediocre offense matched up against a great defense? That's exactly what was said, yo.
Actually,
. . . lsu's incredibly pitiful offense . . .
was the exact quote being discussed, and Alabama's defense was not mentioned. Reading is fundamental, um, yo . . .

And I know I've mentioned it before, but quoting is also helpful, just as a reminder . . .

Put Bama's QB play with LSU's offense... and LSU's QB play with Bama and we got a REAL ballgame. :scan:

i like how umm has completely ignored my points on how terrible lsu's offense has been in other big games that don't involve bama

Actually,

was the exact quote being discussed, and Alabama's defense was not mentioned. Reading is fundamental, um, yo . . .

And I know I've mentioned it before, but quoting is also helpful, just as a reminder . . .

In terms of reading comprehension, that post was a sarcastic one. Well done, you've treated it like it was serious!

i like how umm has completely ignored my points on how terrible lsu's offense has been in other big games that don't involve bama

If your MO works, stick to it.

yeah okay nobody's buying that one. lsu scores a ton of points off defense and special teams by forcing turnovers and winning field position battles. for example, in the oregon game, lsu gained less than 300 yards and was outgained by the ducks. that's scarcely forty more yards than what they gained against alabama in their first outing against the tide (the tide also outgained lsu in that game, btw). in the sec championship, lsu also gained less than 250 yards against georgia, a team which gave up almost 400 yards to michigan state, which is hardly an offensive juggernaut. georgia also outgained lsu in that game, but unraveled because of turnovers and special team miscues. the way you beat lsu is consistent offense which prevents their defense from capitalizing on your mistakes. lsu's offense is pretty garbage and while fielding a good defense against it is obviously better, no one's shaking in their boots opposite jordan jefferson or jarrett lee.

this post yo

Top Bottom