What where the greatest/best military systems of all times?

I'd have to say the American Carrier Battle Groups.
They are capable of striking anywhere in the world in 24 hours, and they have enough firepower for everything short of a full scale invasion, or the defense of a full scale invasion.

Pap

great topic BTW

speaking of Historic-Battles the new members are coming in slowly now, so please join if you havn't.

I'd say the swiss military system;every man got a machine-gun;his uniform and 24 cartridges home and does a few weeks training/year.It's impossible to invade a country where everyone got a gun.

Originally posted by Damien
I'd say the swiss military system;every man got a machine-gun;his uniform and 24 cartridges home and does a few weeks training/year.It's impossible to invade a country where everyone got a gun.

It was also 'impossible' to invade Singapore from the land, cross the Owen Stanley Mountains, or invade France through the Ardennes.

Ha!

It's perfectly possible to invade Switzerland. The only thing in question is 'Would everybody bother fighting with their pop guns under the weight of advancing heavy armour?'

I'm betting 'No'.

I'm a big fan of the military model employed by Costa Rica.

Originally posted by Hamlet

Ha!

It's perfectly possible to invade Switzerland. The only thing in question is 'Would everybody bother fighting with their pop guns under the weight of advancing heavy armour?'

I'm betting 'No'.

Swiss got advanced weapons too.Anyway guys in their tanks would've to get out of it. :lol:

anyways why invade the Swiss they have all you money! ;)

has anyone else heard that story that Japan were planning to invade the US after Pearl Harbour but didn't as they knew that every american owned a gun and knew how to use it?

just a little story i heard relating to the Swiss military system:lol:

Swiss got advanced weapons too.Anyway guys in their tanks would've to get out of it. :lol:

One assumes that the advanced weapons would be destroyed by the invaders. Wouldn't be much point in invading if you can't get past the initial line of defense.

As for getting out of the tank, there is one way to solve the problem. If the entire population can be assumed to be armed combatants, they will have to formally surrender before they are not considered legitimate targets, with or without their weapons. Aircraft are not known for their ability to take prisoners.

The more I think about it, the more it would concern me for every man in the country to be considered a combatant. Not from the invader's stand point, but from the invadee's standpoint. Pretty much makes most private homes into barracks, doesn't it?

Not that I think Switzerland has anything to worry about. Just thinking about the concept and what it could mean. Plus the fact that invading Switzerland is not impossible.

Everyone's got a machine-gun home!
how to do?annihilate most of the pop is the only way.
It's guerilla warfare.People are shootin on you but you don't know where it comes from.
One shot from the window and then nothing anymore.
Explosives are put in tunnels moreover.
Every new building(built from 1994 or something like that) got an anti-nuclear shelter as basement and there are kms tunnel underground.
Swiss practice stages yearly.

Wow, if everyone has a machinegun the violent crime rate must be really high (at least according to American left-wing theories). What methods do they use to keep crime down? Do only certain people get guns, or is it truly everyone like you said?

Edit: and to be on topic, I think the best military system is the ability to strike with nuclear weapons both from land and sea, and the ability to threaten to do so.

All able-bodied men from 18 to 60.
Civic behavior keeps crime down.
The problem with all cinema armies with nuclear weapons etc is that they're weaker than guerilla and more expensive.
You can't launch missiles on every man with a gun.

Back to the original question :)

I think that the Roman Legion was the greatest military system of all time.

Top Bottom