Trading - where to find tips on trading

homeyg

Deity
Could someone point me to any threads on trading? Thanks

Moderator Action: Edit: just renamed the thread title a little bit

Originally posted by mad-bax
This thread contains pretty much every trick in the book, and helped me a lot.

Moonsingers turn trading exercise

That was a good exercise thread. Many greats tips from some legendary players are in that thread. I had learned a lot from that thread too.:) Thanks for looking up the link!:)

Originally posted by wilbill
I'd been looking for it, too. Thanks, mad-bax. :goodjob:

Now, I'm hurt!:cry: No thanking Moonsinger for starting that thread?:cry:

Just kidding!;)

Humble apologies, goddess. :)
I've referred a couple of people to it in the past, but somehow misplaced the link.
It's one of a handful of threads/articles that I pull up and re-read every once-in-a-while and always find something that had slipped my mind or that I'd never noticed before. One of the best!

Originally posted by wilbill
Humble apologies, goddess. :)

I was just kidding! There is no need to apologize.:)

Slightly OT since this is not the conquest section but I thought I would ask:

So these are great tips, but mainly geared toward Vanilla Civ. With Conquests these change quite a bit since you won't be able to trade maps until much later. Anyone thought of any interesting ideas not involving maps in early trades? I'm trying to move from Regent to Monarch now and I am finding that my isolationist policy is somewhat harder to maintain and causing me more problems than it is solving.

Verax

I would say that you really need to make early contacts inorder to lower your research costs and allow for more options to trade. So, sending a couple warriors out early to make contacts and building a couple boats can really help slant trades in your favor.

Also, I do not trade maps unless I have to and then I will trade with the strongest of the other civs and that is about it. Trading maps and contacts is delayed so going out and exploring has a lot of value. So does buying RoP's. This is the opposite to vanilla c3. Vanilla c3 I would explore a little but then depend on trading maps.

My tech trading strat is a bit different in c3c as well. Since you can spend quite a bit of time in the ancient age, I may go for iron working so that I can secure iron early. All units that are made from iron would be unavailable if you do not secure one source but this varies from civ to civ and level of play and if you want to war.

Originally posted by Verax
So these are great tips, but mainly geared toward Vanilla Civ. With Conquests these change quite a bit since you won't be able to trade maps until much later. Anyone thought of any interesting ideas not involving maps in early trades? I'm trying to move from Regent to Monarch now and I am finding that my isolationist policy is somewhat harder to maintain and causing me more problems than it is solving.

Since C3C pushes communication trading all the way to Printing Press and Map Trading all the way to Navigation, it actually gives us more chance to play the tech broker. I'm not so sure about the easy level, but at Deity and Sid, it actually gives the human player an edge. For example: CivA borders with CivB, CivB borders with CivC, and CivB is in between CivA and CivC. Because the AIs are expanding really fast, most of the time, all the land are filled very quickly. Once the land are filled, they would stop exploring and stop trying to make contact with other Civs. In this case, CivA usually won't meet CivC until Printing Press. Unlike the AIs, this isn't a problem for the human player. If we are playing CivA in this case, we would simply sign RoP with CivB and to go make contact with CivC which would lower the overall value of the tech only for us.

As you see, the human player would have more time to make contact with the whole world before most of the AIs. Therefore, we would usually be in a much better position to become a tech broker for the AIs.:)

Top Bottom