IMPORTANT: Loss of Files

Plotinus

Philosopher
Retired Moderator
Very bad news for modders. You've probably noticed that lots of preview images and similar have disappeared in threads. This is because CFC got hacked and all files since July 2007 have been deleted!

This affects both images etc uploaded with the Easy Uploader system and also files uploaded into the Database. In other words, all units, LHs, etc. If you have uploaded a mod or scenario with an external host such as 3D Downloads or Atomic Gamer, that should probably be OK.

Thunderfall has announced this here, so that is the place to ask for further details.

I've started the process of finding what files I need to upload & pull them together. I know at some point I'm going to need to request the help of those who have downloaded some files I lost from a drive crash a few months ago.

Do you think it would be useful to create a subforum where, for example, an author could create a thread with specific requests for help?

I doubt that a sub-forum would be needed (because I'm optimistically guessing that most creators will still have their files); if I were you I'd just make a thread here in the main C&C forum, since I'm sure that anyone who has the files will see it there.

Luckily I have all my units so it's just a matter of uploading them again, but I don't keep the preview gif animations - so it's just struck me that I'm going to have to simply re-make masses of those from scratch before I can re-upload them. Aarrgh!

After my computer was completly deleted in January, I redownloaded a few units...

In fact, I have probably 95% of the units on my HD. I'll burn a DVD this evening just to be safe, but if you can't find one of your units, I probably have it.

I may have changed the name though, and I don't have the previews.

Plotinus, can you explain if there's any specific procedure to upload a unit made by someone else?

Can we do this, or only the original creator? Does it requires relinking?

It is possible to upload a file created by someone else; in fact, when the Database was created, some people uploaded a lot of units by other people to help populate it as quickly as possible. I'm not sure what the procedure is, not having done it myself, but I think it's exactly the same as uploading one of your own files. The only difference is that you enter the creator's name rather than your own. Then it will be registered as uploaded by you but created by them.

With this situation I think it's going to be a matter of going to the page of someone else's file and editing it, rather than creating a brand new download. I know I can do this but I don't know if non-moderators can. If you could give it a go and see what happens that would be great.

It is possible to upload a file created by someone else; in fact, when the Database was created, some people uploaded a lot of units by other people to help populate it as quickly as possible. I'm not sure what the procedure is, not having done it myself, but I think it's exactly the same as uploading one of your own files. The only difference is that you enter the creator's name rather than your own. Then it will be registered as
uploaded by you but created by them.
I know that we can upload "again", the question is can we do it and repair the existing broken link

With this situation I think it's going to be a matter of going to the page of someone else's file and editing it, rather than creating a brand new download. I know I can do this but I don't know if non-moderators can. If you could give it a go and see what happens that would be great.
Yes, that was in fact my question...
Hmm... Perhaps you can give temporarily some moderator powers to some people so we can fix it?

I believe the phrase I'm looking for rhymes with "clucking bell".

Yeah. Could it be, that the hacker has some resentments with you, Wyrm?
That would be an incredibly vain statement for myself. But in the past I have had an almost magical ability to attract complete scum that have done their best to annoy/ruin my life for no good reason.

As far as I understood all files got deleted, but Telefragged managed to restore all that was uploaded before 24 July 2007. So I doubt it has anything to do with any specific member.

Besides if he was out after Wyrm only, he could have chosen just to delete his files.

Yes but I was the hardest hit if you just look at the number of files I have to upload again. And I'm doing that right now, ever so slowly.

True, but that really doesn't prove anything, since you are also the person who submitted most files.

Keep in mind that the civ4 community have been hit just as hard, if not even harder, and they genrally attract much more attention than he civ3 community. (Which is clear by looking at the download numbers, civ4 stuff get downloaded up 10x as much as civ3 stuff).

Hey I'm just stating the facts, let's keep the feelings out. :lol: ;)

I am @ school right now, so reuploading will have to wait untill I come home... >_<

Top Bottom