End of Empires - N3S III

I might be able to make it, then. Right now I am in the middle of a story. It explains some aspects of Jiphan / Jiphanese / Jiphani (?) society and religious structures. As I'm writing it, I'm wondering if I am being far too liberal in my interpretation. Should I run it by you first, NK?

The League Of Gallasa

Chapter One: Government and Politics

Since the Concord of Sirasona, and the fall of the military government last led by Ilunate, a man who tried to make his regime justified by infusing the Faith into his petty dictatorship by taking a new title, the League had been forced to adapt a new outlook on the running of their nation. While Gallasa was pressed in a fight for the Faith, Gallat still feared the re-establishment of tyranny over their lands. It was determined that though preventing a tyranny was necessary, the victory of the faith was necessary to ensure the survival of not only Gallat, but of its heritage. Balancing these two ideals, the League would find the solution in the Treaty of Perena.

The Treaty of Perena established the limitations of the League and the power that the cities would retain. Each city would have three leaders. First, a Lightprotector who would be responsible for the protection of the city and the maintenance of the cities military forces. Next, the Lightgiver, who would be responsible for the domestic runnings of the city- taxes, trade, and diplomacy. Finally, each city would have a Ward, who was responsible for the matters of the Faith in each Gallatene city. The system ensured that each city would remain independent, though the military and the Faith, two entities that had dominated Gallatene politics for generations, would still retain their influence in the nation.

Though the League's first measure was to ensure that cities would have a form of independence in their affairs, it was noted that there would need to be a way to coordinate the efforts of the cities to ensure the League's success. Each city would send a Servant as a representative for their city to the Council of the League. In some cities, the Servant was elected directly by the people, and in others, he was appointed by the city's Ward, though in most cases, the Servant was an appointment by the Lightgiver. The Servants, though representatives of their city's interests, were tasked with guiding the policy of the League to ensure her prosperity, and while in the Council, each Servant's vote weighed the same as a Servant from any other city, though the Servants from the wealthier cities did have more influence than those from smaller and poorer cities. After the Concord of Sirasona, the Council became more influenced by the Wards, and took upon the duty of ensuring the strength and preservation of the Faith. The Council was tasked with the appointment of delegations to foreign nations, the negotiation of treaties between foreign powers and the League as a whole, to act as a mediator between conflicts within the League, to declare war upon foreign powers, and other tasks not left to the individual cities.

The leader of the League, and the man who represented it at the highest levels was the Lightholder. His powers include the signing of treaties with foreign nations, and the presiding of the Council of the League. In one of the most important duties of the office, the Lightholder was tasked with, once at war, to summon the Council of Light to bring together the Lightbearers, the highest and most talented military commanders Gallasa had to offer, and to direct the goals of the conflict to the Lightbearers. Elected by the Servants in the Council, the Lightholder is elected to a two-year term, to be renewed up to four additional times. The Council of the League is located in the city where the Lightholder hails from except when the League is at war, in which case the Council is located to a safer location. Because of this enormous benefit, the League has decree that the Lightholder may not be from the same city as the previous Lightholder. Though initially the Lightholder has been seen as the highest authority of Gallasa, with the war against the Aitahists, the Faith has inserted herself into the office. The most important part of the ceremony of taking the office of Lightholder is gaining the Seal of the League from the High Ward, and if the High Ward disapproves of the Lightholder, the seal will be withheld, forcing the selection of a new Lightholder, causing the Faith to be put firmly into the center in the political life of the League.

I'm trying to edit the Parthe page in the wiki, but it won't let me. Please add this to the top?

Spoiler :
= History = The Partheca were once an isolated, primative people with intense local blood-line relationships who spread across the islands. In the ancient times, the legendary Jarthen dynasty established Parthe and spread their suzerainy across the entire south of the island, to slowly decay with the coming of Iron and the Plague. The local Thewen Dynasty, overcoming large towns near the weakened Parthe by introducing Iron from Kitaluk, revitalized the new Kingdom of Partheca. This is when contact was made to the western lands, or the Main Nes. Expanding from their homeland and utilizing the Hanuencas to suppliment the older technique of blood-line assimilation, they have expanded deep into the south and cultivated Indigo, which they and the Leun agreed to monopolize. To the north, the dreaded Terror, or Zarcasen, were more resistant to Parthecan expansion. As the Kingdom expands and centralized, some even look beyond their home island for new places to settle, as the second city in Parthecan history was established; the Tarwen, or Eastern Hearth.

OOC: Please inform me of any glaring inconsistencies.

IC:

This is part one of an ongoing narrative describing the life and times of a man named Jitanu.

"What did Deoali tell his companion at the Battle of Leuce, before they drew swords together and cut into the Kratoan wall of iron?" Amiph Lindrujit paced from mat to mat within the sultry warrior's chamber of Temple Deo. None of his pupils answered immediately. The amiph's bare feet slithered along the golden, teakwood floor, like a serpent from the temple's moon grove. He gently dragged a thin, but weighty staff behind him, lightly clipping the knees of pupils as he passed.

Jitanu was twelve at the time, young compared to many of his peers, but not the youngest. As the amiph sought an answer, Jitanu stared forward unwaveringly, his legs crossed, back upright, and palms laid upward on his bare knees. Amiph Lindrujit paused at Jitanu's mat, and still, Jitanu kept his composure. The amiph did not look at the boy, or any of the other pupils, but instead stared forward, eyeing the wall-sized, ornate tapestry occupying the entirety of the north wall. It was a remarkable work of woven ingenuity portraying the highlights of the Battle of Leuce: King Kuriguzulan fighting off dozens of Uggor, with the Jiphan warrior-prince Siprata by his side, a score of allied troops marching small in the background; in another frame, Siprata directing Jiphan pikes to the Hills of Dinya; and yet in another frame, Siprata plunging a knife into the tyrant Yeridur's chest. It was all rather violent imagery for one of Temple Deo's chambers, but it reminded the amiph of what he had been assigned to do.

"Jitanu," Amiph Lindrujit began. "Do you know the answer to my question?" Beads of sweat began to dance their way down Jitanu's brow. The boy was silent, nary a whimper escaping from his tightened, damp lips. The amiph raised the weighty stick high and lingered over Jitanu. Finally, the boy answered.

"He told him that too much pain is like too much pleasure: with too much of either one, you'll feel as if you are in heaven." Thwack! The stick slapped full-force onto the back of Jitanu's neck. Thwack! Another hit on his right side, below his ribs. Jitanu lurched forward in pain, but quickly returned to his position, tears pooling in his eyes.

"Tell me, class. Was the Battle of Leuce before or after Deoali learned from the Lemnat Poet of the Hamakua?"

"Before," the class proclaimed. Jitanu was ashamed, though he knew the class could easily deduce the correct answer from his incorrect one. Still, no one could give Amiph Lindrujit an answer to his original query. The amiph was restless in his quest for an accurate reply. He began to pace the room again. He asked the question again. He dragged the stick again. It was clear that he was going full circle. He'd come back around to Jitanu, smack him again, make an example of the boy. Jitanu continued to sit upright, fighting the urge to hunch forward and allow his pained muscles to relax. As he heard the stick dragging, he burrowed into his mind, searching for an answer to the amiph's query. With his eyes closed, he pondered for what felt like eternity, until Amiph Lindrujit was once again hovering over his mat, stick raised to his side.

Jitanu raised his hand, and some of the other pupils gasped. "Yes, Jitanu."

"He told him that, like death by old age, killing can be natural, too." Amiph Lindrujit bowed, and lowered the stick. Jitanu resisted a deep sigh, instead allowing his breath escape gradually.

"His exact words were: 'Friend, do not fear sin on the battlefield. For just as an elder may be killed by the natural limits of his body, so too may a man die by the nature of another.'" Amiph Lindrujit walked to the front of the chamber, and used his stick to point to the tapestry on the wall. "And who was Deoali's companion in that battle?"

The question was easy. "Siprata," the entire class replied in unison. The amiph nodded and bowed to his pupils, and they in turn leaned forward on their mats. Class was adjourned.

As the other students rose from their mats, rolled them up, and exited the wooden chamber, Jitanu took his time, his body incapable of swift, sudden movements after such a severe blow to his side. The amiph remained behind, reading from a tome with tanned pages. When Jitanu finished rolling his cloth and storing it in a hemp case, he felt the back of his neck -- it had swollen to three times its normal size, and was as pointed as a ripened durian spike. Finally realizing he could relax, Jitanu allowed his head to slump downward. Amiph Lindrujit noticed the boy carrying his wounds awkwardly. As Jitanu began to head for the entryway, eager to slip his feet into his straw sandals and leave that cursed chamber, the amiph called his name.

"Jitanu." The boy turned, red-faced and unable to look the amiph in the eyes. He separated his legs appropriately and leaned forward slightly, in a posture of acquiescence.

"Yes, Amiph Lindrujit," the boy quivered.

"You are the son of a merchant, are you not?"

"I am, Amiph Lindrujit." The amiph nodded in contemplation.

"What does he trade?"

"Spices, mostly. And exotic woods and incense." Another nod from the amiph, as he scanned the boy.

"Did you travel with him? Go to distant lands by his side? See the beginnings of our faith?"

"Long ago, Amiph Lindrujit. Shortly after I was born. I remember little."

"Yes," the amiph chuckled. "I have noticed that you have trouble... remembering." Jitanu blushed. The amiph became solemn once more. "What brought you here, Jitanu? There are few sons of merchants in the chambers of this temple. Perhaps in Leuce, you may find a few, attempting to flee their family's burden. But not here. Not in the middle of the jungle." The amiph placed his reading material on the floor. "But you are not here to escape a burden, are you?"

"You read me well, amiph. I did not view my family's wealth as a burden. Nor do I still."

"You take pain well, for a boy. I've hit others like that, many times before. Not many can regulate the pain."

"My father taught me to take it well. He, too, sought Iehor."

"A merchant seeking Iehor? Yes, there are many of those. They don't seem to succeed, do they, boy? There's a giant and a foreign god to our north. And many question the authenticity of Iehor, mostly because of your father's kind." The amiph began to stroll towards the entryway. "That is why we practice here, at the Deo. Life is harsh here, Jitanu. But I have faith that you can live through a harsh life."

"My father taught me a harsh life." The amiph appeared puzzled. "He was a pupil here once, too, and later, a master. He was the amiph you once called Samhese." The amiph's eyes widened, but he quickly reverted to his stern face.

"Samhese was clever, but he could only take so much. Perhaps like your father, you will flee when times become difficult."

"That is the lesson he wishes to teach me, Amiph Lindrujit. To flee, when times become difficult."

* * * * * * *​

Five years later, on the eve of Jitanu's seventeenth nameday.

"Beautiful, Jitanu, as usual." Jitanu glided a wide chisel across the bottom of the teakwood sculpture, tapping the edge of the tool with a wooden hammer. He was almost finished with his piece, and was now carving out the grooves where toes would soon form. The sculpture was his first life-sized rendition of Deoali. "It will go in the main hall, by the altar. I'm sure of it." Amiph Euresh always praised Jitanu, much to the envy of his pupils. Yet this was counter-weighted by the extreme punishments he continued to receive from Amiph Lindrujit in the Chamber of Siprata, punishments that Jitanu seemed to relish. But out here, in the gravel courtyard of Temple Deo, Jitanu was treated like a prince for his talents -- not only with the chisel, but with the brush, the mould and deckle, and the thread and needle.

"You have found Iehor, Jitanu, through your talents. May you continue to produce such relics of great beauty."

"Thank you, Amiph Euresh."

For the entire afternoon, Amiph Lindrujit stood in the shadows of the main hall's veranda, keeping a watchful eye on Jitanu in the courtyard of artisans. That evening, when Jitanu entered the Chamber of Siprata, he carried a smile, along with a body riddled in bruises -- all inflicted by the strict amiph of the warrior's chamber.

Jitanu arrived to a room emptied of his peers. Only Amiph Lindrujit remained, and he held his staff in one hand, a book in another. "You are late, Jitanu. Too late."

"I apologize, Amiph Lindrujit. Where is the class?"

"Dismissed, due to your arrogance. You dare arrive here at such a time, long after the lesson begins?"

"Amiph Euresh said it would be acceptable. He gave me his consent."

"A weak fool. Come, Jitanu. I would teach you a lesson." Jitanu approached hesitantly, and laid his mat on the floor. The teakwood creaked as he took a seat on his cloth. "You use your hands much, Jitanu, do you not?" Jitanu nodded. "Why?"

"I channel my quest for Iehor through my hands, Amiph Lindrujit."

"Only the mind can reach Iehor, fool. You seek too much. You worship through your hands, but you are only creating greed for praise and glory. I'm calling you out, son of Samhese. I believe you to be a fraud, like your father before you." He walked towards Jitanu, his staff featured prominently in his right hand. "Your peers are strong. They attempt Iehor through solitary confinement, and, if need be, through bloodshed. They do not carve into wood and call it the 'sights and sounds of the universe', as those enlightened have described. They contemplate and protect, as all good monks from Temple Deo should."

"Your mind is closed, Amiph Lindrujit." Jitanu believed these words to be true, but as he said them, he also believed them to be extremely poor timing. Amiph Lindrujit let Jitanu's words wash over him, and he continued to saunter over to Jitanu's mat. "Why, unlike most other Jiphani, do you shun the arts, Amiph Lindrujit?"

"The arts have made us weak. We are threatened, fool. Threatened by a god who has taken souls from Iehor. Threatened by giants and demons. I disagree with my colleague Euresh. He believes even warriors should know how to carve an image, or paint the strokes of the Hamakua verses. I believe a warrior should hone his mind, so that he may unleash it upon the enemies of the enlightened."

"Just as the warrior-prince did at the Battle of Leuce, under guidance from Deoali," Jitanu replied. "Yet he, too, understood the importance of the Jiphan culture. And he, too, accepted the Hamakua verses as vital to Leuce, just as vital as the Indagahor teachings."

"He faced his threat alongside many allies. We face ours alone," the amiph replied. He now hovered above Jitanu. "Your hands, Jitanu. Lay them on the floor, beyond your mat." Jitanu looked at the amiph. He understood immediately what the amiph intended. Reluctantly, he placed his hands on the teakwood. Amiph Lindrujit raised his staff high into the air. "You must learn this lesson, before you become your father." Thwack! The staff came down hard, laying clean into both of Jitanu's hands. Jitanu pulled his hands away in pain, as Amiph Lindrujit raised his staff again. "Your hands, Jitanu! Your hands!" But Jitanu kept his hands from the wood. The staff now whirled towards his right ear. Thwack! Jitanu fell to the side. "You suddenly cannot take pain? You are more like your father than I had imagined." The staff swung again, this time plunging into Jitanu's kneecaps. He squirmed with pain.

Amiph Lindrujit waltzed around Jitanu, nudging him with the staff, until he found his hands. He raised the staff high, and as it came swiftly downward, Jitanu grabbed it with his calloused palms. Jitanu glanced for a moment at the master of the Chamber of Siprata. He disarmed the amiph with a deft shake of the staff, rose to his feet with a slight limp, and swiftly thwacked the old man's ankles. The amiph fell to the ground, but did not yell or resist. Jitanu stood, Amiph Lindrujit's staff in his hand. Looking down on the amiph, he felt pity for him.

"You fail to realize why a warrior must craft objects, Amiph Lindrujit." Jitanu swung the staff across the amiph's face. A medley of crimson and sweat stained the golden teakwood underneath the amiph's jaw.

"Hearts and minds cannot be won with blood alone." Jitanu let the staff whirl once more, this time towards the amiph's neck. "And just as an elder may be killed by the natural limits of his body, so too may a man die by the nature of another."

NOTE: This map will be continuously updated and reposted as other locations are revealed.
Spoiler :

That should be stats. Let me know if anything's screwed up!

New Due Date: 5 AM EST, Wednesday, May 24th, 2012

These terms are quite harsh. Already we have lost much, and we have not so much more to give. Did not the wise ruler say that it was better to take a cow from a man who had a hundred than a man who had one? Our city might have had an empire, but that future is now out of reach. We would simply like to have our homeland remain in peace -- and we will fight to defend that homeland with more tenacity than a badger defends his burrow.

We would propose that peace be had at current borders.

From Haina
To Dehr

While the Haina themselves do not seek any more Dehr land, our Trahana allies' demands are non-negotiable. You are being offered generous terms; your merchants have not been evicted from Haina lands or had their property taken, and they enjoy the same protection from piracy that our fleet provides to all other merchants. We will remain amiable and will treat you on the same terms as any other friend of the Haina after you accept these reasonable terms.

From Haina
To [the tribe there]

My father was granted suzerainty over your lands by the emperor of the Dulama himself. The time is long overdue to act on these claims. The Haina come not to loot nor to plunder, but only to extend and secure our trade network. We do not care to interfere in your internal politics, nor to levy men from your realms. The choice is yours: become our vassals by will, or become our vassals by force.

OOC: I forwarded you that PM from alex a while back NK, can forward it again.

Edit: Sorry Hightower, didn't realize you'd sent NK a PM as well.

NK, qoou's terms are basically the same as the PM I sent you. The map is equivalent. Treat them the same way.

From: Redeemer Avetas, High Prince of the Satar, Accans, Vithana, Xieni, Protector of Manin and Ytau
To: The Taudo

Jahan, my father through the mask, gave an order that no longer would any Maninist be persecuted, as the cruel Lawgivers did before they were deposed. I see fit to grant all the Maninist lands once owned by the Evyni (except those occupied by our brother princes in Cyve and Gallat) to a Taudo prince, that they might live peacefully in their own lands, unhindered by any as long as they do homage and pay tribute to their rightful rulers. This would be a considerable expansion of the domains you already control.

In return for this princedom, your Prince must convert to Ardavan and take the mask. If you are willing to do this thing, your people will be equals with all other peoples under my dominion.

Ayasi Fourth-Frei, Moti Great Family Chief-of-Chiefs, King of Bisria, Protector of Iralliam, Conqueror of Sesh, and sundry other titles besides...

...believes that honour has been satisfied. The obligations placed on my ancestors and myself by our alliance with the Ruler of the Evyni are no longer valid. Furthermore, that which has been placed in the hands of my ancestors by the Good God and just conquest, and then lost through the Evil God and treason, has been restored. If the Satari Ruler is willing to acknowledge this, then there may be talk of peace. If the Evyni could no longer claim the north of the world with my permission, then perhaps the new Ruler of the Satari may prove more adequate to the task.

Of course, it is expected that the armies in my service will be allowed to leave the north in peace and honour, that the Satari Ruler will foreswear all help to rebels in the middle of the world, and that a more detailed agreement may be worked out with regards to the borders of our respective powers later.

To: Ayasi Fourth-Frei, High Prince of the Moti

It pains me to abandon the lands of my ancestors, but my blooded warriors have fought for decades, and have earned a just reward. A border north of the Sesh shall be set in return for the withdrawal of the Moti soldiers from Onesca, which we will not hinder.

Our advice to our brother Prince would be to reconcile with Prince Satores, for he is a cunning leader of men, and I expect he may continue to elude you. But I shall not support him, nor his cause.

Continuing Correspondence from Sayfin Oaeharai

In concord with the Holy Moti Empire's Chief-of-Chiefs Ayasi Fourth-Frei, the Pentapartite Council of the Farubaida o Caroha expresses its intentions to negotiate an end to the warfare between itself and the Karapeshai Exatai. Farubaidan forces will be withdrawn from the lands to be determined as belonging to the Karapeshai. In exchange,all of the captured soldiers and prisoners held by the Karapeshai Exatai will be returned intact and alive as they are now, and the Redeemer Avetas will pay an indemnity, or whatever he wishes to call the exchange of gold, for the actions of his father in the butchering of Kargan.

“Ilanil sayiip şatil.”

Her head lifted slightly with the voice, stirring slightly as the words were spoken again. An unfaltering fierceness bellowed deep from within in her belly; that desire to look up and into those golden eyes that dared to burn wild. Despite her passions, she dared not. Before, countless times before, she had dared to give to her arousal and the result was unbearable. Those times that she had cast her eyes skyward, hoping to catch a glamor of understanding in those cruel eyes, had come to naught. The man spoke the three words, and then departed. He left every day the same; turning on his heels and going away with the same speed as he arrived. The departures were always more cruel than his arrival; by this point she knew he would not return until the next morn, and until then, all she had was the old man without his wits.

He had occupied her cell before her arrival; by his witless state, she would reckon he had for some time. His clothes had been torn to rags (the misshapen state of the man's nails were her suspect), and his beard hung matted and unkempt. The initial fright wore off after the first day; the man was no threat to any- not even the rats that scuttled in the cell without fear. Based off his skin and the loose words that he sputtered every now and then at the start, she judged him to be a far northerner. The words were harsh upon her ears; with limited knowledge she dared them to belong to the islander tongue. A few words she knew of the tongue did not stir the man to speak, and so her companion left her to bask in silence.

“Ilanil sayiip şatil.” He always arrived shortly after the arrival of morning; just after the sun climbed beyond the window's view. His breath vapored; his hollow words being all that he offered in ways of comfort. She knew that he knew her plight; knew that the Warrior knew that she did not take meaning from his words. He knew that she did not understand. At first, she had called out to him; the common tongue at first, others secondly. If he knew the words she begged, he did not acknowledge them. Aside his offering, he gave no more.

Upon her sixth day in the cell, she had tried to break words in the common tongue with the Old Man, and to her surprise, he responded. She had spoken little to him, commenting just only on the strange nature of the man's words. And yet after she spoke, he nodded in agreement. The shock of his acknowledgment was more than she handle, yet it soared her spirits. Pressing her luck, she spoke again- this time asking if the Old Man knew what the Warrior spoke. Again, the Old Man nodded, and for the first time he spoke in the common tongue.

“He speaks the same words every day.” He responded, his words heavily accented yet understandable. Her eyes opened somewhat; the accent placed him from the far east, not the north. His skin lied, to her surprise. Yet, all good his words did for she knew what he spoke already. After breaking his silence, the Old Man fell silent once again, and ignored every other request she asked of him. Speaking in hushed tones, as if ears listened outside the cell walls, she pestered him with dozens of questions regarding his own nature, their location, and of course, their host. And despite her tear-saddened requests, he gave no knowledge of hearing her again.

By the sixteenth day, her fears were confirmed- her belly swelled, and her monthly blood did not come. The meager rations that were shoved through the door were not enough to be the cause. For the third time since arriving in her prison, the Lady wept. The Old Man gave her no heed, and by nightfall her tears had ceased once more. Despite her sorrow, she knew they would give her no recourse- if anything, the Warrior had only scorned her further the first time her had witnessed her tears. The second time, she suspected, he had ordered her rations withheld.

“Ilanil sayiip şatil.” The Warrior returned with his daily gift upon the morning of the second week, in seemingly better spirits. His hair bellowed in the wind; long matted locks of heavy brown fluttering with the breeze as he peered inwards, standing stoic under the stone door-arch. She imaged he would easily tower above normal men back in the civilized lands, a giant among the good men. This morning he lingered, casting his eyes curiously at her, as if awaiting a response. She shook her head, trying to convey once more to him that she did not understand his strange tongue. Tears welled in the corner of her eyes. It took all the strength she possessed not to let them fall, and she was determined to best for once. The Warrior seemingly took note of this, and graced her oddly with a smile. Yet, despite his grace, his hand wandered to the hilt of his sword. She held her baited breath, almost wanting him to draw the blade. The moment passed, and the Warrior turned on his heels to leave through the door-less arch. Hesitating just briefly, he cast a look behind himself and with a crooked finger, pointed at the Old Man, and was then gone.

Inquisitively, she turned her head back to the Old Man, desperate to find some semblance of meaning from the passing. She called out to him through the iron bars, begged him for responses, but the Old Man continued in his fast of silence. A gale of sorrow ripped through her heart, and the Lady found herself once more dwelling on thoughts dating back from the far greener time. Her Husband's good graces, the wise man's laugh; the squeals of court children as they played amongst the city's many gardens.

Day after day, the Warrior returned. Day after day, he spoke just three words. His eyes spoke them as a solemn promise, whatever they meant. Day after day, time whittled on and her belly grew ever fiercer. Two weeks doubled, those four then tripled. Three months passed as if they were naught but a drunken night; the majority were silent but before long she no longer resented speaking to herself. The Old Man may have been silent, yet she was never as content as when her voice gave play to dozens of characters. By the night of the thirteenth week, she was no longer plagued by the sorrows of the past life.

“Ilanil sayiip şatil.” The Warrior returned upon the next morrow, in much finer clothing than she had witnessed before. Prior, his wares were those of the common folk; woolen cloths that spoke of humble origins. Yet now, as he stood under the stone door-arch, he wore clothes of fine linens; almost as if he seemed to wish to impress. Her eyes glanced at him curiously, but quickly retrained to earth floor. She dare not stare too long; the burning gold in his gaze was scorching. Upon this morning, the Warrior lingered- his gaze wavered between the Lady and the Old Man. Seemingly searching for something between the two, and then failing to find his desire in the dim light. This morning, he repeated his words. “Ilanil sayiip şatil.” he flung the words out this time, and then turned and left.

Days passed again, and it was only after the days began to run together, long after her arrival, that the old man finally broke his fast once more. Again, the Warrior had entered the cell, his hand resting upon the hilt of his curved blade as if to be menacing. He spoke the three words once more that gave cause to her confusion. His actions were the same as always, turning after finishing his line, but yet after his departure, the Old Man jolted to life. His gasp ripped through the small prison, as if sucking all the air from the structure. He opened his mouth as if to speak, but he coughed once, twice, thrice; and by the end was hacking. By the end, the Lady had clambered as close to his bars as she could get, and once again she called out to him. She begged the Old Man once more if he knew the words the Warrior said.

“Ilanil sayiip şatil!” He cackled, and her hopes died; the old man had lost his place, to her deep sorrow. “Ilanil sayiip şatil!” His voice quivered this time, wavering as if his strength would give at any moment. She shook her head lightly, already mourning her sole companion. Yet, he spoke again, strong enough to snap her out of the gloom daze. “Şatil! Şatil! Şatil!” He stared into her eyes, and a large grin broke out upon his face. “Tomorrow, he promises! Again and again, he says the same as always- tomorrow.! his voice broke, strength fleeing in the moment.

Yet she would not let the Old Man flee with his voice; she crossed the remainder of her small cell in haste and gripped the bars. She urged the old man to speak again, staring into the recessed shells of his eyes. Her own eyes burned for the first; deep emerald pools drowning in the dim light. She called a second time, as the Old Man came close to retreating back into his shell. The sound of her voice a second time was enough to keep him anchored though, and he spoke out once more.

“Would I despair that I would wish for his words to be true.” he shook his head in despair, the filthy mat flung about. He grew silent yet again, and the Lady was forced to beg for him to continue. Her voice was not yet in vain, for the Old Man finally spoke out loud what had been uttered once a morn for so many days. In the fleeting second after he answered, she knew what was being answered and for the first time, a smile broke upon her withered face. When rations were delivered that day, she refused her share. Instead, she shoved the bowl towards the Old Man, whence he hungrily wolfed down the food. It was the first time in weeks that he had ate. Instead of food, she turned her thoughts to prayer.

Through the day and night, she prayed to the High Hallowed, allowing her voice to whisper all the prayers against the stone walls. Her words gave her strength for the first time as she prayed every prayer she had ever known. Through the night, in the midst of the darkness that cloaked the cell, she gave thanks. She thanked the High Hallowed for the Warrior and the Old Man. She thanked the High Hallowed for her Husband, the Wise Man, and the Children. And for the first, she thanked the High Hallowed for the Betrayer and the Invader. The Horserider, the Squandered Islanders, and the Craven Traders- her prayers gave thanks for them all. Upon the completion of that last prayer, she gave a small gasp. For the first time, she felt a kick stir from within her womb, and she gave thanks for that too.

By the time the Warrior came back upon the next morrow, a serene peace had overwhelmed her- even the Old Man seemed to bask in the glow. The Warrior spoke the three words again, his voice reverberating upon the stone. “Ilanil sayiip şatil.” His burning eyes trained upon her, and for the first she gave him a smile. She nodded, and the Warrior broke a smile upon his face. He spoke different words for the first time , but those words did not matter- he crossed the small prison and stood before her locked door. She paid attention not; summoning all her courage she cleared her throat of the dust that had gathered.

“Ilanil sayiip şatil.” She spoke, a smile breaking on her face to match the Warrior's. From nowhere, she knew which words to say next and only stumbled slightly. “Abil sayiip anırk.” In a flash, the Warrior threw open the door and crossed the small cell with such speed that it frightened her. She lost her composure only briefly though, as the man quickly threw his arms around her in a fierce embrace, after which he backed up and motioned for her to walk through the door.

“Ilanil sayiip şatil!” The Old Man called out from his cell, high spirits rising in the morning. He called out a second time, this time his voice ringing in the common tongue. “Tomorrow, you will die!” Joy choked his voice. “Abil sayiip anırk! Tomorrow, you will live!” She turned back to give him a gentle smile before she walked out of the cell and the prison, walking out into the rising sunlight. The figure that waited at the bottom of the prison steps did not surprise her; rather his presence reaffirmed her conclusions. She graced the holy man with a smile, and embraced him upon reaching him.

“Jah nazam sa tarık Ozaye, mosı.” The old man's voice was liquid honey, and she smiled again. Her words followed, given freely.

“I will follow you into the Dark too.”

Looks pretty decent. As I noted on #nes, "Ward" is a generic descriptor for the mid-level Faith clergy. I'm not 100% confident on the "light-[blank]" names, but it's basically fine.

OOC: Please inform me of any glaring inconsistencies.

No glaring inconsistencies, fantastic writing and a good read. :) I'm really looking forward to seeing where you're going with this. Though I might want to talk about some of the stuff that pops up for my own clarity's sake.

From Haina
To Dehr

While the Haina themselves do not seek any more Dehr land, our Trahana allies' demands are non-negotiable. You are being offered generous terms; your merchants have not been evicted from Haina lands or had their property taken, and they enjoy the same protection from piracy that our fleet provides to all other merchants. We will remain amiable and will treat you on the same terms as any other friend of the Haina after you accept these reasonable terms.

To: Haina, Trahana

We accept.

From Haina
To [the tribe there]

My father was granted suzerainty over your lands by the emperor of the Dulama himself. The time is long overdue to act on these claims. The Haina come not to loot nor to plunder, but only to extend and secure our trade network. We do not care to interfere in your internal politics, nor to levy men from your realms. The choice is yours: become our vassals by will, or become our vassals by force.

To: Haina

We don't really know who you are. Or, in fact, what you want. "Extending and securing" a "trade network" is the vaguest thing we've heard since our children told us why they were out late last night. Please clarify.

From: Redeemer Avetas, High Prince of the Satar, Accans, Vithana, Xieni, Protector of Manin and Ytau
To: The Taudo

Jahan, my father through the mask, gave an order that no longer would any Maninist be persecuted, as the cruel Lawgivers did before they were deposed. I see fit to grant all the Maninist lands once owned by the Evyni (except those occupied by our brother princes in Cyve and Gallat) to a Taudo prince, that they might live peacefully in their own lands, unhindered by any as long as they do homage and pay tribute to their rightful rulers. This would be a considerable expansion of the domains you already control.

In return for this princedom, your Prince must convert to Ardavan and take the mask. If you are willing to do this thing, your people will be equals with all other peoples under my dominion.

This seems a fair and just agreement. We accept.

NK, qoou's terms are basically the same as the PM I sent you. The map is equivalent. Treat them the same way.

Duly noted. See above.

“Ilanil sayiip şatil.” [snip]

Awesome story. :)

The waves crashed gently on buffs of Sendin. A warm sea breeze hit against Rasina, a woman not young or old, came through for the sunny town, and it seemed to be a mood of perfect tranquility, the model of a beautiful day. The city was experiencing an influx of visitors and travelers, from all across the League, men of great prestige. For despite the great tragedy that had fallen on the city, the disaster that had emptied the crowded streets of Sendin and put them into the temples, the merchants of Sendin to profit for one last time before returning to the former status quo. Despite the war against the Aitahists, Rasina knew there was one thing was always true for League politics; whoever would let the anhua flow would be in the running for a position as the new Lightholder, and anyone who tried to go against that would be a nonentity. And that was a lesson Rasina, the wife of a Servant, had learned well for this situation. The League had just suffered the death of the Lightholder Samin. It was regarded as a tragedy, a man so brilliant and dedicated to the League was dead after serving less than three terms as Lightholder, would die in his bed. It was a shame the Faith had denied him a meaningful death, but that was the will of the Faith. Privately, many of Samin’s more loyal followers were furious; Samin had cultivated, through the hundreds of families and Servants who held power in the League, two dozen allies, chief among them the Servants from Edrim and Kollada who supported his bid for Lightholder, and was the preferred appointment by both the High Ward and the Nuccios of the Karapeshai Exatai, two opinions that would rarely coincide exactly, but it showed the scope of Samin’s ability to build an alliance. Though some failures were noted in his rule by his enemies, on the whole the League was fortunate and victorious with Samin. His death however, sparked the issue of succession.

The painfully obvious successor was her brother, Amras. He was chief among Samin’s advisors, and was a hero of the Siege of Panala. He, like herself, came from a family of merchants that was wealthy, but not too wealthy. He had traveled to the Karapeshai Exati, and was personal friends with the Nuccios. He had ties to the Faith, with his younger brother being the personal Acolyte to the Ward of Sern, and was known to be a common sight at the temple. In the League itself, he was known to be one of Samin’s powerbrokers who would be his greatest weapon in securing the office of Lightholder, and it would be quite clear that Amras would be a continuation of Samin’s policies. The commoners loved him, the Servants admired him, the High Ward would approve him, the military would rejoice for him, and despite all of this Amras would not become the Lightholder for at least two years, as he, like Samin, was from Sendin.

It was truly a crushing blow, that her brother, the greatest mind in Gallasa, would be held from office for something as foolish as his residence, but it mattered not. It was a founding principle of the League, to ensure one city never got a long term political advantage over the other. And though Amras was the best man for the job, but she knew that a less qualified successor for a few years was far preferable than a civil war within the League. Thankfully, Amras had never been one to seek titles, and had refused to put his own name forward for the position, and encouraged others to rescind their support for him.
However this is when the League was thrown into chaos, as nearly every Servant from one of the major entities of the League had thrown themselves into the running for the Lightholder. Despite the large number of potential candidates, Rasina had narrowed it down to a few serious contenders through the use of her brothers, her spies, and her charm.

The first, and least likely, was Yarvis. Born to a poor family in the outskirts of Jedim, Yarvis became an Acolyte at a young age. A quick learner, he followed his Teacher to Edrim, a city dominated by the Faith, where he became the Ward. Serving as a close friend and confident, Yarvis was able to help foil a plot on the Ward’s life, and was, a few years later, appointed as the Servant to the League from Edrim. Seeking to gain even more power, Yarvis gave himself to the High Ward, making himself the High Ward’s personal voice in the League, giving him an enormous amount of influence. The ambition was there, and so was the lust for the benefits that the office would bring, but Rasina knew he would never be selected for the office, even if the High Ward himself came to demand it, for the League had no intention of putting a puppet at the helm. Even though the Faith had become an instrumental part of League politics, none were eager to see a return from it dominating Gallat. Besides, his devoutness to the faith extended to disliking those of the Ardvan faith, and though they may be Maninists, none but the most extreme would feel that the alliance with the Exati was meaningless. Yarvis could play Kingmaker, but he would never be King.

The second was Elros, the Servant from Kollada. An ally of Samin, he seemed the closest to being someone who would maintain the powerful leadership Samin had displayed. At one time, he was a Lightprotecter of Kollada, and had fought in the wars against the Aitahists. He was the preferred candidate of Nuccios Atteri, the Exati’s representative in the League, and many of the Servants had a working relationship with him. However, Elros, despite being from Samin’s coalition, did not have Amras’s backing; they had been rivals for influence among Samin, and when he had ended an engagement with the daughter of Amras and Rasina’s neice, to pursue Samin’s sister, any potential understanding between the two had collapsed. Furthermore, Elros was known for only a veigned interest in the Faith and seemed to let on that he was more willing than Samin to see a peace come to the League. Though it may have given him the support of the merchants and the Servants in their pockets, Rasina knew that the Wards hated him, and though it’d be unlikely that Elros would be denied the seal of office, it would not surprise her if the High Ward used his Servants to block Elros from ensuring his own victory.

This left….Cirdan. Her husband. The man Nuccios Atteri had called in private “A drooling incompetent unfit to run the stables of one of our High Princes” and who Elros said “would personally ensure that the League would collapse within weeks of his appointment”. A man from the wealthiest, and perhaps oldest, family in Gallasa, it wasn’t that Cirdan was an idiot. Cirdan did have an unfortunately abrasive personality, and would be willing to mock others openly. At one time, he was a man who took comfort with many women, but Rasina had quickly ended that when she threatened to leave him. Cirdan’s family had pressured him to marry someone competent to ensure the family did not suffer a fall from grace, and through the use of her brother, Rasina had become that person. And through Cirdan, Rasina would weild power over the nation if it all went to her plan. Her generous donations to the Faith and to the High Ward ensured that support from the Faith would be given as needed, and Cirdan’s membership in a leading merchant family would give the impression that at the very least Cirdan would do nothing to harm the merchants, for if he did, then it would hurt his own wealth. Perhaps most importantly, Amras would be assuring anyone that would give him an audience that it would be him, not Cirdan, running the nation, with Cirdan, being from Sirasana, providing the front man. It was a gamble yes, but Cirdan was the only one of the candidates that had the vast financial resources that Cirdan could use, nor could they gain the support that Amras would be willing to give to Cirdan.

A slave boy came to Rasina with a roll of parchment, with a seal from her brother. The slave bowed deeply and left, and Rasina opened the note
Yarvis will not be King, but will prefer a man who embraces faith, not one who disdains it
-A

Thanks, North King. We can certainly discuss any elements of the storyline, and I can make some footnotes if you think that will be beneficial. I have a half-written story (well, 80% written) that I wanted to post before I left, but I don't know if I'm going to have time to finish it. I will probably post the first "scene" of it if I can't manage to sit down and write the rest of the second scene before my departure. As with the first story, I hope I'm not taking too many liberties. Thanks for the great NES. I'm looking forward to diving back into it after my vacation.

To: Leunan Empire

We thank your Empire for coming to our aid in our time of need. We thank you for freeing our towns. We will refill our town garrisons ASAP and hope that this does not cause problems within forces who liberated our towns from foreign occupation. They will be shown gratitude and will be fed, but they shall not remain in control of Farean towns. To show our gratitude for your unexpected aid, we will accept your territorial claims on Northen and North-Easter territories of Naelsia/Auona and hold you as its legitimate rulers, just like Farea rules Southern and South-Western territories. Assuming, of course, that your armies will not move against Farean armies or lay claim on our towns.

To: Opulensi

We never expected a sneak attack from our friends. Our trade was fair and our policies were made to know to you. We treated you as friends. Remove your forces from our towns and territories and we will forgive this act of aggression. Let us be friends or at very least, not enemies?
:cry:

From: Avetas the Redeemer, High Prince of the Satar, Lawgiver of Evyni
To: Zys

Come, friend. Let us speak of your reward for aiding my predecessor, Jahan. You are wise and gracious, and I will be gracious in return. Nothing you have will be taken away from you, and many things will be given to you.

Your neighbors the Xieni and the Taudo have accepted my gift. Speak kindly, and I shall give you too a silver mask.

Top Bottom