Alexander

Well, it's to be expected that such a large empire, well managed, would yield a humungous tax revenue.

Awesome, just awesome. However I think that Alexander and Macedonia should be in a locked alliance. History shows that Antipater played a crucial role in securing Greece for Alexander and he was a close friend of the King and his mother Olympias, it was even suggested that he was Alexander's real father.

However whenever I play the game, I always have Antipater rebel against me.

Hi blix, cheers for posting. It's true that Antipater and Alexander must have been good friends, especially early on when he was entrusted with holding Macedon while Alex went off to play with Darius. That was in the early days though when Alex trusted people, he changed quite substantially as he got older and when he died he was a pretty unbalanced chap, seeing portents and plots everywhere.

There are suggestions that Kraterus had been tasked with returning to Macedonia because Alexander didn't trust Antipater - Kraterus was to replace him. Also, letters from Olympias to Alex show her urging him to return to Macedon and do away with Antipater. Finally, a lot of historians believe that Antipater may actually have been the one who poisoned Alex and caused his death. It's all conjecture though, ultimately. :)

Really glad you've enjoyed it. Antipater doesn't rebel too early I hope?

I've got to say, this mod is quite a masterpiece. Many thanks go to you Keroro for making this, and for all the peoples' work you've compiled in it too. My namesake is a mere coincidence though! :p

I got the scenario to open. BTW, Alan posted this;

The following lines appear in /Applications/Civ III Complete/Conquests Game Data/Scenarios/AC v 1 50.1/Art/Units/Indian Garrison/Indian Garrison.ini
Quote:

RUN=..\..\..\CIV3PTW\extras\Medieval Japan\Art\Units\Otomo Spearman\SpearOtomoRun.amb
ATTACK1=..\..\..\CIV3PTW\extras\Medieval Japan\Art\Units\Otomo Spearman\SpearOtomoAttack.amb
ATTACK2=
ATTACK3=
DEATH=..\Impi\ImpiDeath.wav
FORTIFY=..\..\..\CIV3PTW\extras\Medieval Japan\Art\Units\Warrior Monk\WarriorMonkFortify.wav

Is this how the lines are supposed to read?

I keep getting a "Load Error. File Not Found. "art/advisors/TR_all.pcx". any help would be appreciated, this scenario sounds awesome.

Hi Alex. Sorry not to reply before - work is busy and to be honest I don't check the forum as much as I used to. As the game checks assets alphabetically the art/advisors folder is one of the first checked. Therefore I suspect that this is a bad install.

Check your Civilization III\Conquests\Conquests folder. There should be an AC v 1 50 file, along with the .biq file. If there is no folder called that then either you've not installed the main installation files or you've not installed them to the right place.

yeah I got it right after I posted. it was my own fault. I thought the giant blue Download was a banner or something, didn't realize it was the link for the main file. awesome scenario btw. :D

yeah I got it right after I posted. it was my own fault. I thought the giant blue Download was a banner or something, didn't realize it was the link for the main file. awesome scenario btw. :D

lol you did the same thing as i did ,the same mistake

I liked the game a lot even though after several hours of playing I noticed a few things:

i)The recently captured Macedonian cities depose to the Persians. Such thing is not historically correct as if anything, several Persian/Phoenician cities deposed to Alexander after witnessing his huge victories (cities of Phoenice after the fall of Tyre, Babylon after Gaugamela etc). But since you need huge culture in order to make a neighboring city depose, it's not gonna be possible for the almost destroyed, with zero buildings inside, Macedonian cities to depose another city. Hence, I think that cities should not depose at all in the game. In several turns I ended having a recently city deposed where all my phalanx units were garrisoned and of course that sucked.

ii)The Pontians are too aggressive towards the player, as they amass large armies and attack you once in a while. Since the majority of your army is in the east fighting against the Persians, it's not that easy to deal with the Pontians, hence I think the Pontic-Macedonian relations should be very friendly

iii)Since the Epirote and mainland Greeks are too aggressive and ally themselves with Persia, it is too difficult to withstand their assaults. They even reached my cities in Eastern Thrace, hence I think that a locked Macedonian-Alexandria alliance should be better to protect you from such attacks

iv)The Hetairoi shouldn't really upgrade to Cataphracts as the two units were distinct even in the days of the late Seleucid Empire. The Cataphracts were a Bactrian influence and were adopted especially by the Bactrian Greeks and the Seleucids but the Hetairoi units remained the elite and the cavalry bodyguard.

v)The cities look too small. Kyriakos' cities are amazing and as he offered them to the game they would be a great addition even though that's your call mate!

Yes, you can't just rush around and attack everyone at the same time. Conquer, consolidate the newly won territory, then push the border forward again, establish a firm hold upon the place, rinse and repeat.

and you absolutely CAN defend against all other powers while pushing your conquests forward!

it takes around 8-10 mediocre units to hold off a pontic invasion, and you should be able to hold off celtic, greek, and all other invasions into thrace with even fewer units. moreover, your best units will be produced in thrace, so you wont have to wait a long time for superior reinforcements.

(also, remember that you can REBASE a bunch of units. and that combined with transports and Royal Roads means that you can have an effective defense force reach almost anywhere in your empire, other than india, almost immediately)

finally, im completely against locked alliances as then you cant conquer that power later! ill admit, i've never conquered all the way into gaul, but i've created an empire consisting of Italy, arabia, all of greece, ponus, and ALL of india, in addition to alex's historical conquests. And this was all took place before 323 BCE. you can absolutely go nuts and conquer everyone in this scenario (if you have the patience), especially once you get a large powerful cavalry force.

Hey Keroro, is this mod not hosted anymore? I had to wipe my hard-drive and i dont have the files anymore. I followed your links to download it from atomic gamer, but they dont seem to work! i want to play this again! can you help me out?

Hey KC. Fairly inspiring that you're still playing! I don't post much at CFC anymore, but try to keep an eye on things in case of problems like this. I've had a look at the links on the first page and everything looks fine though. They might have been down on a temporary basis? Try again and let me know if you still have trouble.

I definitely still have the files somewhere if the link is down, but I'm not sure where I'd be able to post them. Any ideas?

Finally - @ Kyriakos - sorry I didn't see your last post when you first posted it, so I'll reply now (8 months late). I did have a look at whether I could get your cities in but when I first put the graphics together you'd not done that many of the you latest 3D sets and I felt that having some of your sets and some by other people made the others look bad. If I were to update the graphics then I'd use yours now, but I'm not confident that I'll get around to it - I tend to play a bit of EU3 now and you know how long that game can take to play through.

Obviously people could do it themselves. If anyone comes up with a full pack that works nicely with this mod then I'd be happy to link it on the first post? (Yeah, that was the sound of me trying to avoid doing any work.)

huh... weird. when i click the links on the first page they take me to atomic gamer, but dont have links to the files! ive tried clearing my cache and internet history, just to be safe, but it doesnt seem to change! very odd. i've even tried searching for (and navigating through the pages for) anything alexander related in the civ3 files but to no avail... i wonder whats going on at my end! ill try another computer in a day or 2 and see if it works there.

otherwise i dont know! maybe megaupload? or maybe you could host it here (though im sure its too big).

and im glad you're inspired! i TRULY love this scenario! it has some great ideas (my tech timers from RFRE :p ), EPIC gameplay, huge battles! a great rhythm that alternates between tense confrontation and steady domestic buildup while maintaining that sense of adventure that you would expect in an alexander scenario, and it STILL has several options i'd like to try out! I have yet to conquer the world! one day i'll post here telling you about my conquest of china! :D

Top Bottom