Alexander

I know very little about the Mac solutions. I'd suggest a look at the Mac subforum, specifically at this thread, where there's a screenshot of a similar error in the very first post.

The Mac is indeed a machine that is very intolerant of error. :(

I'll try installing a copy of the pertinent sub-directory under the Alexander's Conquest directory, then reporting back on the results. If that don't work, then I guess I get to wait until Alex 2.0

Just remember, Windows was designed so you could mess with it; the Mac OS was designed so you wouldn't have to. In any case, thanks for writing.

Didn't work. The game stil crashed, giving the same error message as before.

I suspect the problem is that in the Windows version of C3C the chain of directories is, "Civ III Complete\Civ3PTW\extras..." whereas in the Mac version it is "Civ III Complete\Play the World Game Data\extras...". I have the feeling the solution Keroso proposed for this problem is not going to work in this case.

The solution that has the best chance of working is for the Mac version of the scenario to call for "...Play the World Game Data\extras...", replacing "Civ3PTW" with "Play the World Game Data" in each case it occurs.

Platform specific scenarios, who'd a thunk it.? :confused:

You could also copy the files from your "Civ III Complete\Play the World Game Data\extras..." folder into your Alexander's Conquests folder :)

I've played this scenario on my Mac. The solution is some variation on the solutions posted in the Mac subforum. Mac are no more intolerant of errors than any other platform. It's just a difference in the directory structure. I'm not at home. When I get back home I'll see how the path is set up & post it.

I've played this scenario on my Mac. The solution is some variation on the solutions posted in the Mac subforum. Mac are no more intolerant of errors than any other platform. It's just a difference in the directory structure. I'm not at home. When I get back home I'll see how the path is set up & post it.

In this case it would appear that the difference lies in how a sub-directory is named. I look forward to seeing your solution.

ETA for version 1.5 in case anyone is interested - before Christmas. It will be a bit of a test version again, with some of the later sections not 100% play tested, but it's quite an improvement in many areas.

@ Blue - is there anything specific that mod makers can do to avoid these kind of problems when releasing mods? Or is it just a case of sorting problems out when they arise. Looking at some of the solutions, it looks like adding a secondary search path might do the trick for some of these peoblems.

@ Blue - is there anything specific that mod makers can do to avoid these kind of problems when releasing mods? Or is it just a case of sorting problems out when they arise. Looking at some of the solutions, it looks like adding a secondary search path might do the trick for some of these peoblems.
It's more a case of sorting out problems as they arise. The single most common issue that could be prevented by the mod-maker is when the scenario searches for elements in more than one folder (ie the PTW "extras"), since the Mac will end up looking in a path that may not match. We've long had a thread for Mac installation solutions.

I don't like using the "users" file path for something like C3C that ends up putting hundreds of files on my boot drive. So I have the game files on my data drive; only the saves end up in the "user" path on the boot drive. The path for Alexander looks like this (I'm running "Complete"):

Civ III/Conquests Game Data/Conquests/Alexander

The first folder - Civ III - is at the top level of the drive. Hope that helps.

It's more a case of sorting out problems as they arise. The single most common issue that could be prevented by the mod-maker is when the scenario searches for elements in more than one folder (ie the PTW "extras"), since the Mac will end up looking in a path that may not match. We've long had a thread for Mac installation solutions.

I don't like using the "users" file path for something like C3C that ends up putting hundreds of files on my boot drive. So I have the game files on my data drive; only the saves end up in the "user" path on the boot drive. The path for Alexander looks like this (I'm running "Complete"):

Civ III/Conquests Game Data/Conquests/Alexander

The first folder - Civ III - is at the top level of the drive. Hope that helps.

As long as you're logged into your machine the scenarios should appear under "Documents\Civilization III Complete\Scenarios" or "Documents\Civilization III Play the World\Scenarios. In any case that would be where Aspyr would prefer you place third party scenarios in one of those two folders.

BTW, I had to reinstall C3C from disc again. This time I'll be placing the third party scenarios under Documents. That way, when I have to reinstall C3C yet again I won't lose the files.

As long as you're logged into your machine the scenarios should appear under "Documents\Civilization III Complete\Scenarios" or "Documents\Civilization III Play the World\Scenarios. In any case that would be where Aspyr would prefer you place third party scenarios in one of those two folders.
Watch out for those "shoulds". IIRC you're the one having trouble getting the scenario to run, not me. ;)

I was speaking generally, there are always exceptions.
In general then, the split in directories where Civ things are located - specifically the "users/.../documents/..." path - is generally the cause of many failures at scenario start-up. As has been thoroughly discussed in the Mac forum - especially, but not exclusively, in the thread linked to above. And as I've pointed out here in more than one post.

In general then, the split in directories where Civ things are located - specifically the "users/.../documents/..." path - is generally the cause of many failures at scenario start-up. As has been thoroughly discussed in the Mac forum - especially, but not exclusively, in the thread linked to above. And as I've pointed out here in more than one post.

And why is that? Because modders write expecting their work to be played on a Windows machine and not a Macintosh. Now if Aspyr had simply left well enough alone we probably wouldn't have this problem.

As for the problems I've been having, they're the same sort of problems I'd have if I put the files where you say they belong.

New version available from first post. :) I've changed so many files that I just can't do this one as a patch, it will have to be a new install. As always, please let me know how things go if you're playing through - every game someone plays offers a way of making it better.

The change log ran over about ten word pages since the last update, so the major ones are summarised below:

• Some new units and some old unit graphics have been replaced, the majority of the new graphics are from Sandris.
  • Massive overhaul of the buildings available, and civilopedia entries edited to match. Almost all building slots available are now used.
  • Titles available when you possess certain areas - for example, after taking Egypt you can proclaim yourself Pharaoh. These titles reduce corruption in nearby cities, enabling a larger empire to be run efficiently (works in a similar way to royal titles in MEM).
  • Navigable rivers have been added in several locations.
  • Governments altered. Many important improvements now have a required government, making your choice more important.
  • Economy has been altered - it's not so easy to build up a huge amount of gold now, as roads are not so easy to build and research is slightly more expensive.
  • Re-balancing of many bits and pieces, based on play experience. Especially the research path.
  • The 'spacerace' type victory has been completely changed, it's now much simpler to understand and implement though not simple to achieve in game.
  • General overhaul of civilopedia to reflect all changes.
I promised this before Christmas, and I got the update ready on time. Unfortunately I ran into problems getting the files uploaded anywhere (atomicgamer kept dropping half-way through). It frustrated me enormously, and I never got the upload complete before going on holiday for the Christmas and New Year period. I've managed the upload earlier today from another computer though. I should have known that something would go wrong if I gave an ETA. :badcomp:

nb - I think that someone may have downloaded the biq file in the last couple of hours. If so you should re-download it (only the biq, not the rest) as I noticed an error when test-installing that I've now fixed.

Thanks so much, Kerero!

I'm tied up in a couple of games of El Justo's AoI scenario, but I'll definitely play this new version when I get the chance.

Game crashed because there is no Temple of Ares wonder splash.

and I was doing so well...
Spoiler :

EDIT
: I replayed the last couple of turns to catch the error message:

Missing entry in "./Conquests Game Data\Conquests\AC v 1 50\text\PediaIcons.txt":WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Temple_of_Ares

:mad: Bad Blue monkey, bad! Don't build that Temple! :mad:

:lol: :lol: The wonder was changed from an improvement quite late on, that may well be why the splash is missing. I also didn't tend to build that particular wonder when playtesting - don't know why.

Glad people are still playing anyway - fixes will be forthcoming tonight when I'm not at work. Apologies for the presence of a bug, I'm most embarrased.

By the way, if anyone has any good screenshots then please feel free to post them here. I'm planning to add some to the second post.

Fortunately this was a very easy one. The fix is to just drop the below into your AC v 1 50\Text\ folder (wherever you have it installed) and the wonder splash will display. :)

Thanks for the heads up, and nice kitten picture! Keep bug reports coming anyone, I'm happy to fix anything that's necessary.

Attachments

• PediaIcons.txt
    143.1 KB · Views: 91
Thanks for the heads up, and nice kitten picture! Keep bug reports coming anyone, I'm happy to fix anything that's necessary.
This was one of my favorite scenarios before - even more so now. I'm hoping to get practiced enough to be able to post a decent Indian campaign quickstart. And I figured a lolcat of Alex the G falling off his horse was too good a bug report graphic to pass up.

Top Bottom