Bug Reports and Solutions

Le Sage

Emperor
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: The mod just doesn't work.

A: As with all computer problems, the first step to any solution is to check whether the plug is in the wall or not. Check that you have everything Fairy Tale requires. Fairy Tale is made for Civilization IV and needs the Expansion Pack Beyond the sword (BtS), which also needs to be patched to the latest version (3.19). In addition, it is recommended that you download all the latest patches for the mod as well (http://www.moddb.com/mods/fairy-tale). The Patch 3.19 for BtS can be found for download on the CivFanatics homepage (http://www.civfanatics.com/). Note that the game also has to be set to English Language!

Q: I want to turn off some of the stuff that came with BUG. Where do I do that?

A: Press the little round BUG Icon on the top left-side of your screen. That opens a detailed menu with lots and lots of options. Some reporting can be turned off for sure to suit this mod, and so on.

Q: I have installed the mod, but it doesn't show up in the Advanced/Load Mod-menu

A: You have probably installed it to the wrong folder. The mod (all Civ mods) should be installed in the mods directory on C: (or wherever your installation path is found). It should not be in the My Games-folder in Documents.

Q: I am missing Interface. No maps, no icons, no nothing!

A:There are a couple of things you can do. First. Be sure that the mod is indeed installed to the correct folder. NOT the MyGames folder, by the installation path in the Program folder as mentioned above. Second, see to it that the game runs in English only. Go into the Options menu and set the language to English.

Third, the mod may conflict with Custom Assets. Try this. Find the Fairy Tale.ini file in the Fairy Tale folder where you installed it. It's right at the top under Mods/Fairy Tale. Open it using a text editor like Notepdad (just double clicking on it should do it). Find the lines where it says ; Custom Art from user folder is not loaded NoCustomArt = 0 and ; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded NoCustomAssets = 0

Change the numbers to one. Like NoCustomArt = 1 and NoCustomAssets = 1 Then save the file. That should do it. Now run the mod again and try it out.

Q: I get a "GCF Error: Failed to initialize primary Control Theme."

A:This is a rare one. In some cases reinstalls have resolved it, in others it seems to be caused when Civ4 isn't installed in the typical location (under Program Files/Firaxis Games/).

Q: Fairy Tale conflicts with other mods. I get error messages concerning other mods when starting Fairy Tale!

A: There is a function in Fairy Tale's .ini-file called Modular Loading. This value is turned to 1. It will probably solve the issue by turning it to 0.

Q: I experience Missing Text.

A: Make sure the game is set to English Only. Go into the Options Menu, in the Main Menu, and set the game to work in English Language Only.

Known Issues

*There is an error message displayed upon creating some of the national heroes. The unit naming obviously conflicts with the naming logic of BUG. This only shows an error message, but doesn't break the game or anything like that. It is a minor annoyance.

Remember I mentioned in the modpack's thread that the Norse Swordsman doesn't have the Iron resource requirement? It appears that the regular Swordsman and all UU replacing it don't have that requirement as well. Also, Axeman and all the UU replacement don't require Copper, too. These render those two resources less useful (they still give extra hammers). I am not sure if this is your intention, but I think it's quite bad...

Oh. We had a discussion on this way back, and decided to take out resource dependancy for early game units. I took it out up until the Swordsman unit and Macemen-tier units again require the resources. I was very skeptical myself, but we did it as an experiment (and the arguments to take the resource dependancy away were good) and I think it works. Spearmen are also buildable without Iron, but Pikemen require it.

The main idea was to give every Kingdom the ability to effectively field good units, whether they have the resource or not. At least, we eliminated the early game Iron rush that we had before, which also on some map scripts left some nations outside and gave others really good starts. I do think that this system gives all kingdoms a chance and since the Fairy Tale units are all effective (whether they are early or late-game), the removal of Iron/Copper dependancy for the early units does give everyone on the map a good chance to do war.

But please do tell us what you don't like about it. All ideas are welcome, as always!

Hm... in one instance, I remember I was able to build Norse Swordsman prior to discover Iron Weapon tech, which I believe is the requirement for that. But, maybe I am wrong. Can anyone confirm this perhaps? I may try a quick game to double check this.

In any case, I agree that it's good to have all civs the same advantage, though reality is always unfair (but this is fairy tale :D). Another solution, aside of removing the requirement, is to put the needed resources in/near the capital of each civs in the scenario maps. Though, this means if one plays a random map, some civs may have disadvantage.

You played the Imperial Scenario that time, didn't you? I think I added some basic techs to that scenario and Iron Weapons must have been one of them. I haven't checked the XML-file, so do tell me if it's wrong though.

Ok, apparently Norse Swordsman's requirement is Archery, not Iron Weapon. I double check the tech tree and civipedia to make sure. So this is why it happens.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Yes, I was playing the Imperial intro scenario. But since this is a Nordic's UU, I think any Civ using this Nordic UU will be affected as well.

In the BigMap scenario, Eagle Order religion and its HQ exist in the capital of Principality. However, the city isn't set as Holy City (no Holy City of Eagle Order anywhere in the map).

I am not sure if this is intended or not, but Norse Myth doesn't exist in the beginning of the game (I am guessing it should start in Nordic's capital as Holy City). Since Eagle Order exists already prior of discovering the tech required, shouldn't the other religions as well? I haven't checked the rest of the religions though (too tired, going to bed, it's almost 8 am here).

We are actually working on the religions. Suitable religions will start off within the civs that they're meant to do. Like the Nordic one in the Norse Kingdom and so on. So that is in the works, actually. I've also designed a whole range of completely new religions that will be born in nations on tech discovery; like Necromancy and the Dark Arts, stuff like that.

Whow. Whatever happened to map-trading? I dunno what's wrong and where it disappeared, but I will get it back ASAP. Thanks for noting it. I've never really missed it myself, but it should be an option!

Actually, I found that map-trading is allowed in the XML. It opens as a possibility from the tech "Healing".

If you want to set it earlier (at Writing for expample), open the Fairy Tale/Assets/XML/Technologies/TechInfos.xml with any text editor. Find the tag <bMapTrading>1</bMapTrading> at tech Healing and change it to zero. Now you can place that one at any desired tech where you wish to have map-trading opened.

That's more logical. I will change it. Some things were just thrown in at the techs where they fit the best for game balance reasons, but we will need to change some of them as we go so the tech tree becomes more logical as well.

EDIT: And BTW. It's named the School of Geography in the game, but I think School of Cartography, as you said, is a better name for that tech too! I will change that as well, while I'm at it. :)

:lol: I actually had New Horizon as abandonware a couple of years ago and played it then. Aah, the memories. You could sell the maps of your exploits at one of the shops too, I think.

I am getting a CtD on my new smaller maps. It happens at the beginning of the scenario, about five turns into the game. At the part of the game when Monarchy is just discovered. Sigh.

It's the ultimate form of talking to yourself. Doing so on an internet forum. :D

Some resources went into really strange positions when I resized the map. There were fish on the beach, trees on mountain tops and corn and wheat in the lakes. I cleared most of those during some hours of really tedious map editing, but some of it is still left.

I solved the crash-issue now as well. I've reverted the mod back to an older version of the EventManager. I need to redesign the setup of the SpawnACiv addition to go better with BUG, and that will take some work, but I've done such before.

Top Bottom