Anno Domini II demo

Wow, thanks for the comments and nice to get lots of feedback!! I will attempt to answer your comments below:

Sorry to hear that you had problems with the interface; it was the one I chose (by Tom2050) and I think it's great, but am interested in any comments about it.

I agree that it's great. Here's what I was talking about:

The screenshot doesn't show the mouse pointer, but it's over the City Improvements link which, as you can see, turns a shade of brown that's very hard to see against the brown background. This occurs throughout the interface. Suggest using a font color that doesn't disappear into the background.

Waset was ancient Luxor and is more in line with the 4000BC start. You'll find that some other mods use it as their starting city, including TAM.

Thanks. Didn't know that.

Speaking of the city list, in my 2nd game my Egyptian empire grew quite large. I had dozens of cities, but the mod never ran out of city names. Kudos on having such an extensive city list.:goodjob:

Except for Alexandria, I didn't really recognize most of Egypt's city names. Never saw Memphis, Luxor, Heliopolis, Elephantine, etc. I haven't researched it. Assuming you used earlier names or more authentic names for the cities that I am familiar with as you say you did with Waset/Luxor.

No victory marker? That's hard-coded and you'll find it does appear soon.

OK. I'm an idiot.:blush: I didn't have it because I hadn't met another civ, yet.:blush:

I'm waiting with barbarian names, as I was finding that I'd choose a name then have the civ as part of the game.

:)That makes sense.

I've not done the civilopedia part where the traits are described. Stable = limited anarchy when changing governments. They are going to have cheaper corruption-busting improvements.

Cool. Thanks.

Capitalisation? That's the one thing I will not do. I'm an ex-English teacher and it just doesn't look right to me. Sorry, but it's something I'm quite anal about.

FAIR ENOUGH.:D

The comment about gold being required for a well? You're right, there's no direct link. However, certain civs, such as Egypt, have the "metropolis" tech. This allows them to build some extra buildings throughout the game which, in turn, allows those cities to be able to support a larger population more comfortably. I chose for gold to be available with the metropolis tech and therefore being the factor as to which cities can build the extra buildings. If you look under the metropolis tech description in the civilopedia, the details are there.

Cool. Thanks for explaining.

Speaking of resources:

-The Bactrian camel used for the Camels resource looks really good, but Dromedaries were domesticated earlier so it might be more appropriate to use a Dromedary. Not a big deal either way.

-The Reeds resource is used to allow certain Improvements. It doesn't give the terrain any bonuses. Suggest having it add 1 Trade to the tile. Egyptian papyrus was traded all over the Near East. It was much easier to make, transport, use & store than parchment or clay tablets.

-You used a nice variety of bonus resources.:goodjob: I haven't seen Spearwort used outside of Rood & Dragon & I haven't seen Mushrooms used outside of LOTM. The images look good, too.

-It's not a big deal at all, but the Seals resource is an image of a walrus. Technically, I guess a walrus is a type of seal, but it might make more sense to rename it "Walrus" or change the image to that of a seal. Again, not a big deal.

Noah's ark...didn't see that coming. Any ideas for a replacement effect?

I highly recommend just removing it. It's very out of place. All the other Wonders I've seen in the mod are real. Noah's Ark is mythological. Furthermore, Noah's Ark is the tradition of a civ that isn't even in the mod. It's just very odd that you included it.

As I said earlier, I started another game as Egypt. It ended when this happened:

Regarding the tech tree, I'm finding that it doesn't seem to follow the historical timeline:

-With a huge empire on Chieftain, it takes Egypt until around 800 BC to get the Dynasty tech & government. Should be happening much earlier. I made a beeline for this tech & got some help from Goody Huts, too.

-It also seems odd that the Pyramids come long before Dynasty on the tree. They also come before Ship Building & Agriculture which is unhistorical. Historically, the Pyramids were possible only because of agriculture & the ships to transport stone & supplies on the Nile.

-Again, with a huge empire on Chieftain, & with the help of some Goody Huts, it takes Egypt until about 600 BC to get out of the Bronze Age. Should be happening about 6 centuries earlier.

-Egypt gets ancient chariots pretty early, but the good chariots don't show up until about 500 or 400 BC which is roughly 600 years after it happened historically. Historically, horsemen had replaced chariots in importance by the time the good chariots show up in this mod.

I'm not sure if the fix for all this would be to add more Turns to the early years or to shuffle some of the techs or both. Don't get me wrong. It's obvious that a ton of forethought & work went into the tech tree. It's very impressive. I'm just trying to be helpful.

The Pedia entry for the Temple of Artemis says it's available to all civs. Should say all civs except Egypt.

I will definitely enjoy playing this when it's finished. I'm already enjoying it in it's rough state. This mod, finished, on a real world map with accurate starting positions or pre-placed cities will be a masterpiece!:goodjob:

I started a 3rd game with Egypt on Chieftain. This time I made the world large, arid, hot, 3 byo. I played with a house condition that Egypt would only place cities on rivers & try to dominate the river valleys. Was a very fun game, but I fell even farther behind techs vs. timeline than I did on the previous games since I couldn't expand like mad.

I'll d/l the next update when you post it & playtest again then. Thanks & keep up the great work!

I've been considering lighting up the brown backgrounds to a shade that makes the text colors more easily readable, since theres no way to change the actual color of the text itself to my knowledge. There have been several comments issued about that from the start, so it's not really an isolated issue. I still have all the files, and they are all layered, so to do so wouldn't be much of a task.

Thanks Tom2050, that would be good :).

Thanks for all the comments, Maimonides!! My PRINCE2 course is going very well; I've passed the foundation exam with flying colours and sit the practioner exam tomorrow morning. I then will have about 3 days to devote to ADII - so (fingers crossed) I hope to roll out a new version come Monday/Tuesday of next week.

I hope that things are going okay with your RL issues and that you're doing well! :)

Everything looks great, Rob! :goodjob:

Just was able to start a couple games of this mod after finishing (winning) 2 games of AD Classic and finishing 1 game of ADADD. So far ive encountered the War Chariot error talked about before and several sound effects missing which isnt too bad (I have only tried Egypt so far).

When checking the War Chariot issue, there didnt seem to be a reason for the Default.wav so I removed it for my next game.

The tech tree looks great and nice challenge having to research settling. The turns of the techs are a bit long, but I think its good that it was done that way. I found that with Egypt everything worked fine until the War Chariot which is obtained from Chariotry 2nd era.

I still prefer the older interface than the one you have chose for II.

The borders look good, but I still think the one in Classic is better (which I think is the default) so you dont have any merge of borders.

When listening to the custom music outside of the game, some were okay and some were not, but when listening to it while playing, the atmosphere of it playing over the game worked pretty well, except I would of preferred a few more tracks. Some people will just play their own music, but im one that prefers to listen to in-game music

I have only played a few games with Egypt since I restarted a few times, but will play some more. II is quite fun and so far looks like an improvement over Classic.

After fixing previous issues with War Chariot etc, next several games I played with several other civs and I had to restart several times for different reasons and then on one game close to the ending of tech tree, I got an error for the Cretan Mercenary. After getting this error, I fixed the problem in the INI and decided to look through the units folder for other issues and I may have come across another one but dont quite remember. Only other things were sound effects but not too much of an issue. I then played again, this time trying Rome for the first time, which before I had played several games with Egypt, Sparta, and another one or 2. I was able to play straight through to the end with Rome, finishing the tech tree, to the end of the time limit and winning the game.

I tended to prefer playing all the civs on tiny 80% water pangaea, which makes it tough and close quarters with frequent wars and problems keeping money under control. A few times I got a bit too far behind in techs and other times 1 civ usually an Indian civ took over the game too much. All the games were played on Regent.

Download link and it should have bug fixes that I did myself: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6srju5k56v6jip3/ADII.rar

Btw, I had edited the labels.txt and this download was originally for a steam friend, so that means the steam labels.txt is active. The default one is still there in the Text folder named labelsDEFAULT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom