1989: Scenario Development Thread

its that from one of Tom Clancy's Books ? If Yes, can you name the title please
thanks

Also,oh man cannot wait to give a try :)

Smirnoff, it's from Red Storm Rising. Clancy used the speculative F-19 as the the stealth fighter, which he called Ghostrider, or Frisbee as slang. There was a chapter (The Frisbees of Dreamland) about how the Western Allies coordinated an airstrike prior to the war against Warsaw Pact AWACS and bridges in East Germany to slow the advance. He corrected identified Nellis AFB as the training facility used for the stealth air wing, referring to the testing area as Dreamland. My reference was that in a multi-player game, giving the NATO forces some kind of limited surprise strike at the outset could be an option.

Montizzle, I just found your thread about your game. Looked interesting! I saw that you were using a similar process in regards to mobilizing reserve forces as city production. The hard thing about making the vehicles get worse with time, as you noted, is who would research a tech to obsolete better units? I think I found a method that works out well. It was cool that in your thread you were looking at maybe using Wyrmshadow's F-19 Night Owl to match the book for the stealth fighter.

The hard thing about making the vehicles get worse with time, as you noted, is who would research a tech to obsolete better units?

This could be easily done with the calendar setting: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11243977&postcount=4

The cities that Blue Lion are using are good.The computer is good at using carrier aircraft, but as Civinator noted...

That´s both me. :)

Attached is the version of the converted Russian cities done by Smiley for Civ 2 and FreeCiv as they are used in WW2 Global Gold.

Attachments

• Russian Cities.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 64
AnthonyBoscia, very interesting, I dint read any of his books but it sounds like it would be nice to start one at least.LoL I saw the movies :D, wish there would be more . Also,I know a lot of great games like Rainbow Six series,Ghost Recon series and Splinter Cell series.Thats where i heard "Tom Clancy" .
And, it sounds so familiar to that game 'World in Conflict' :) Besides , Ubisoft is one my favorite company of games, we have one here at Montreal

Well Keep us informed with the great news about the game.

That´s both me. :)

I know. Even if I didn't, it says so right under your name. :)

Attached is the version of the converted Russian cities done by Smiley for Civ 2 and FreeCiv as they are used in WW2 Global Gold.

Thanks for posting. Actually, I copied the city already from a scenario that I recently downloaded and have been playtesting. :devil:

Thanks for posting. Actually, I copied the city already from a scenario that I recently downloaded and have been playtesting. :devil:

There´s a minimal difference between the size 2 and size 3 cities in the latest file I have attached here and the cities in that scenario you have downloaded recently. :) The file I have attached here is newest one. It´s a pitty I couldn´t get access to the SOC site this weekend.

In the Russian holiday "Defender of the Fatherland Day," I congratulate you, too! (even if you do not the Russians)
I look forward to the scenario, I hope to come soon

It's been a rough few weeks in development. I finished placing the units for everyody except Ireland, Cuba and the Caribbean. There are still a number of units that need graphics updates that I will address when I do a final walkthrough of the game closer to the end. Right now I am doing .pcx work, especially resources and cities, and soon to be followed by tech icons, buildings, advisors and the interface. It is rough going. :) I am not an artisitc person by nature and graphics work is slow. Lots of trial and error. Staying motivated and continously working on the game, but also need to pace myself and stay away from computers and keyboards whenever possible to avoid burn-out. The weather's getting much too nice to stay indoors lately. :)

Here's an outline of where we are in the process:

Research, storyline, general framework: DONE

Map, civs, and city placement: DONE

Complete order of battle for all nations: DONE

Leaderheads and governments: MOSTLY DONE Have to clear up some pcx magenta and do Cuba/Caribbean LHs

Tech tree, buildings, and era assignment: MOSTLY DONE Still adding some civ-specific starting wonders, tech tree is done but needs a little more oragnization, prerequisites and especially cost once I know what each nation is producing in trade.

Unit stats, types, and appropriate graphics: MOSTLY DONE A bunch are on standby until new units are made. Others have no appropriate graphics and haven't decided what to do. Especially engineers, as the WW2 bulldozer is great for World War 2 but doesn't fit here.

Unit placement according to historical date, airbases: MOSTLY DONE Pretty happy with this. As stated, the Caribbean and the Irish brigades still need to be done. Also on the lookout for any new info that can be included. There was some guess work in the Middle East and especially North Africa. Some of these guys just didn't have the type of organization that Europe and Americas had.

Resources and pcxs: IN PROGRESS Slow going, but has a big effect on making sure cities don't starve, don't have too much production, and technology costs.

Cities, landmark terrain, overlays: IN PROGRESS Difficult but rewarding work. The map looks very different from those preview pics a few pages back.

Improvement and tech graphics: STILL TO DO After resources and cities.

Interface: STILL TO DO I've done one interface and it was a pain. :) Looking for inspiration on an overall theme. Hopefully it won't be ugly.

Nuclear Weapons: STILL TO DO A work in progress with a lot of what-ifs. Will address this much later.

New Units: IN PROGRESS A lot more to learn here, especially after the storyboard phase. Hope they don't suck.

Political Victory: IN PROGRESS Outline of the space race is done but still needs pcx work and playtesting. This game also might have the Wonder victory condition. I think that might be the best way to go but we'll see.

Civilopedia: IN PROGRESS Coming along quite well, but this is a huge task. An ongoing project. For me the civilopedia is not a superfluous add-on but a critical part of the game that is as essential as adding units or buildings. I want players who may not know or care about the multitude of tank models or artillery types to be able to enjoy the game and know at a glance how to employ all their assets.

Final Walkthrough of each nation individually: STILL TO DO Last minute adjustments and error-checking. Limit surprises.

Extensive Playtesting: IN PROGRESS The game is playable! :) Though far from complete. I've been through a number of tests. The time will come when I will be looking for a hardcore and articulate Civ 3 player to volunteer. :)

Anyway, the scenario is obviously months from completion. Hopefully anybody who is curious now will still be interested then. I just want to make the game right and not half-baked. I'll post some updates but the thread might be quiet as graphics work is chiseled at. Questions, as always, are very welcome! Thanks.

I used Wyrm's Ertl toys as the modern workers in the Worldwide game. It was also my nomination for best unit in the Decade Competition.

Unfortunately for this scenario, the unit's decidely unmilitary appearance does not make it an ideal choice for combat engineers. Right now I am using an M113 as U.S. Engineers and Gwendoline's Luchs as West German Pioneers, but have nothing for the others, especially Warsaw Pact. I might end up using Plotinus' Military Worker. An excellent unit but unfortunately its main virtue, being generic, works against it here.

Soviet Union use the special engineer vehicles "Inzhenernaya mashina razgrazhdeniya"

Looks great, but we need a 3d model. :) I have seen a nice KrAZ truck model but no PMP or TMM bridges.

Yes, I see. :) Do you know of Jeffsheets M728 CEV dozer?

No, and I wouldn't have expected to find such a nice unit buried in a decade-old preview thread. Vielen dank!

Here are some of the advisors that will appear in the game.

Military Advisors- Chiefs of Staff

Marshal Segei Fyodorovich Akhromeyev: In the game serves as Chief of the General Staff of the Soviet Union, and is First Deputy under Defense Minister Sokolov. Renowned for his patriotism and professionalism, Akhromeyev served during the entire Great Patriotic War and had a serious commitment to Soviet defense that was shaped by the wartime experience. He was also known for being a serious and conscientious officer during a time when senior leadership was wracked by courruption and cronyism. In the scenario, he continues to hold his position and is a key figure in drafting the plan to win a rapid war before it escalates into the nuclear realm.

In real life, Akhromeyev helped Gorbachev draft proposals for total nuclear disarmament, and received great criticism for this course which was unexpected from such a deeply traditional leader. Eventually, he resigned in 1988 due to his disagreement with where the nation was headed, and specificlaly over the INF treaty and the disarmament of new theater ballistic missiles. After the failure of the 1991 coup, a despondent Akhromeyev committed suicide.

Général d'armée Maurice Schmitt: Chief of the Defense Staff (CEMA) of the French military. A career soldier, he served at both Diên Biên Phu and the Battle of Algiers. He was appointed to CEMA in 1987.

General Hans-Henning von Sandrart: Commander in Chief of Allied Forces Central Europe, and as such, is the NATO Commander directly in command of forces opposing the Warsaw Pact armies smashing into West Germany. Previously serving as Inspekteur des Heeres, the top spot in the Bundeswehr Heer, he was appointed CinC AFCENT in 1987. He reports directly to U.S. General John Galvin, the Supreme Commander (SACEUR) who commands all NATO forces in Europe, including Norway and the Med.

General Colin Powell: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the United States Armed Forces. After the Goldwaters-Nichols Act, the CJCS is no longer directly in the chain of command, but is the highest ranking military officer in the U.S. and advisor to the President. Powell served in the Viet Nam War, and later had been the National Security Advisor for President Reagan from 1987 to 1989. In the game, he is President Bush's senior military advisor in countering the Warsaw Pact attack and reinforcing Western Europe.

In the real world, Powell did not actually get appointed to CJCS until October of 1989. He was commander of FORSCOM during the first half of the year until Admiral Crowe's retirement. Powell would become known to the populace mostly due to his briefings with the media during the 1990-91 Persian Gulf conflict. Later, he would act as Secretary of State in the early 2000's. In our game, Adm Crowe retires early during the pre-war crisis over differences with the Bush cabinet, and Powell is in the position at the start of the game.

Foreign Advisors

Andrei Andreyevich Gromyko: A force in Soviet foreign policy for 50 years, Gromyko has seen it all. He has previously served as Ambassador to the U.S., U.K., and U.N., and has been Minister of Foreign Affairs since 1957. He is a member of the Defense Council and is one of the most powerful men in the country and a true member of the old guard of leadership. In the game, he still serves as Foreign Minster and is one of the opponents of nuclear action and the war in general, seeking to neutralize the Berlin Spring and prevent Western interference through fierce diplomacy. His energies are directed at weakening NATO resolve and forcing them to negotiate following early Soviet military victories.

In reality, Gromyko supported Gorbachev's appointment as General Secretary. Soon after, however, in 1985 he was removed from his position and made Chairman of the Presidium, an 'elephant's graveyard' post which had prestige but little real power. He would retire in 1989, writing his memoirs and died in July of 1989. In the game, his continued position of power has given him a lease on life through the dark days of August 1989.

Prince Saud bin Faisal bin Abdul-Aziz: The Foreign Minister of Saudi Arabia, appointed in 1975, and son of King Faisal. Educated at Princeton, Saud Al Faisal maintains Saudi Arabia's complex relationships with fellow Arab countries, the U.S. and the West. With the onslaught of war in Europe, the Middle East stands on the brink of chaos with conflicting national interests and rivalries. Powers may use the distraction of the major combatants to further their own agendas, and the shrewd player that chooses a Middle Eastern power must master both diplomacy and war.

In real life, Saud al Faisal remains in his position today, making him the world's longest standing Foreign Minister.

Hans-Dietrich Genscher: West Germany's longest serving Foreign Minister, the FDP politican is also Kohl's Vice-Chancellor. In the game, Genscher is a popular figure who publicly denounces the Soviet response to the Berlin Spring and calls for withdrawl of Soviet forces from Eastern Europe and open elections in East Germany and other Warsaw Pact states. The escalating crisis and tough rhetoric leads the Politburo to see a Western military intervention as imminent and sets in motion the plan for a preemptive attack on the West.

Genscher was a proponent of Ostpolitik, and would retain his position under the new Kohl government in 1982. He is most known for his outreach to eastern Europe in the late '80s during the collapse of communism.

James Baker: U.S. Secretary of State under President Bush in 1989. He previously worked under both Reagan and Ford, and supported the Bush presidential bid. In the game, he is at the forefront early in his appointment to deal with the developing crisis. He is also at odds with Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney, and while he approves of the decision to mobilize reserve forces, he convinces to Bush to delay sending additional forces to Europe prior to the conflict in an attempt to prevent deliberate escalation. Thus, at the start of the game, U.S. REFORGER units are still stateside and must be deployed during the game, but National Guard and major Reserve forces are on the map at the beginning.

Work continues at a slow pace. I've been taking it easy since I've been on this project for a long time and need a break. Also have been doing some playtesting for Civ 3 games and doing the AOI PBEM thing, so not trying to spread things out too thin. :) The game progresses, though.

Attachments

• popupMILITARY.jpg
    popupMILITARY.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 405
  • popupFOREIGN.jpg
    popupFOREIGN.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 374
I thought the adviser graphics had to be the same for all civs.

Yes, so it is. :)

Can they be culture specific?

No, but there are different advisors for different tasks (p.e. foreign advisor, military advisor, domestic advisor and cultural advisor).

They look great by the way and it looks like you are progressing very well with your mod, Anthony.

I completly agree. Great work AnthonyBoscia. :)

Vadim, often I have to remind myself that I am not making a historical scenario.

Nick, the advisors are separate by era, and the nations in the game are locked in specific eras. This helps not only in graphics, but in negotiations, as nations in the later eras will be disdainful of those stuck in earlier eras. A nation like Austria (as part of the European Neutrals civ), for example, will be more willing to make deals with the Netherlands, as they share the same culture group, era, and government. They will be less willing to ally with East Germany, as they differ in all these areas.

Top Bottom