Monthly Competitions Submissions Thread IV

Post all that in the announcements thread so I have something to announce!

Or else I'll just take anything posted here as announced, ex officio. ;)

Didn't do a competition for December because Ruby's earthworm was the only entry: he wins by default. His unit will appear (with appropriate explanation) in the Yearly Competition which I've been coincidentally readying to be posted tonight.

I hope we get more participation this year than we did last year. To give you an idea of what I'm up against, there were 42 units besides Ruby's Earthworm posted to the database last month: 19 by Balam-Agab, 8 by Delta Strife & Co., 11 by Anthony Boscia, and 4 by Gwendoline, and yet, even though I've loosened the rules to allow multiple entries by the same author, only Ruby posted his unit. (Good for you, Ruby!) (And Tony: next time that happens, contact me. I can't make an exception if I don't get a request for one....)

I've tried contacting some authors directly and appealing to their sense of community; that worked in November (or October, I forget..). I honestly do think that, because the contests are one of the rare things that the whole C&C forum community does together, that it has value beyond the silly horse-race; it's a way that we share our works between ourselves, and a chance to display our wares to the larger community. This is OUR thing, not my thing (as K has just reminded me in his inimitable way).

Speaking of which, since Takhisis took over the Front Page Announcements thread, I know he's been feeling much of the same frustration: the community is actually very active, and lot of artwork is being made, but it seems like some of our creators are determined to keep it a well-kept secret for all except their own followers or dedicated database/forum browsers. In my perfect world, this thread and the Announcements Thread would be the very next place that all of our creators go after posting their work to the database; I hope that this year we can start making that a reality, or at least a more frequent occurrence.

Anyway, look for our End of the Year contests to begin tonight! Thanks for your interest.

P.S. Not planning to step down just yet, Kyriakos.

I only asked if we could have the contests in time. They seemed to work better in the old timetable they had since the beginning, ie posted in the first of each month. Maybe you can make that change for the community.

Btw, not sure what your problem is with me that you alluded to in your post (?) but i have none with you, just want the competition going in a timely fashion. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, since Takhisis took over the Front Page Announcements thread, I know he's been feeling much of the same frustration: the community is actually very active, and lot of artwork is being made, but it seems like some of our creators are determined to keep it a well-kept secret for all except their own followers or dedicated database/forum browsers. In my perfect world, this thread and the Announcements Thread would be the very next place that all of our creators go after posting their work to the database; I hope that this year we can start making that a reality, or at least a more frequent occurrence.
Because the announcements were neglected for quite a while before Takhisis picked up the baton people probably just got out of the habit of posting in that thread. The situation is more mysterious here. You've been consistent in your effort - meaning consistently good. It's hard to always put something out on the 1st when you don't know until midnight the night before if anyone else will post. & your predecessors didn't always achieve that. AFAIK (without doing a statistical analysis) typically the poll has been posted during the first week of the month during your tenure. And that's fine by me.

..typically the poll has been posted during the first week of the month during your tenure. And that's fine by me.

Thanks Blue, but this is something I can change: I could get the contests out within the first week of the month - in the first few days if I have the time. Let's see if that works. Thanks, guys, for bringing it to my attention.

And I'm not mad at you, Kyriakos. Saying, "What did I say?" is adorable. Please excuse my little joke at your expense in return. You were very gracious when I took the reins of this thread, and I'll always appreciate that, and I'm very happy to see you posting new work again.

Well, since Real Life™ appears to plan to give me a break tomorrow, then I should be able to have the Yuletide announcement… tomorrow? There will be one.

Top Bottom