"Sort it out, guys"

Sanguivorant

Submitter
I have observed that in most games I play, once I have discovered the game mechanics and I have become efficient at the game, everything just feels automated or mechanic. Like, I am somehow able to see many turns into the future and plan every action that I need to take. Instead of enjoying the game for what it is, I see the game in numbers, sequences and mathematics.

That was why when I was spending some time with my little sister today, I was astonished by her take on the game. I have taught her the basics of the game. We have a T.V that we hook up the computer to, so I told her to just open up a game and I'll watch what she does.

So we start a game on chieftan. She takes a good look at her initial start. It wasn't a good one, so I told her to settle one tile east, since she could move there and it is close to a coast with some fish. She says no, and says she needs to find the perfect place to start her first city.

So she takes her warrior and settler and moves them south, away from the tundra. On the way, we pick up tribal huts that gave us a settler and a warrior, which I found pretty nice. We also met some starting civs. Unfortunately, one of them was Montezuma, and I told her to keep a very close eye on him.

Eventually, we came across some floodplains, and an irrigated wheat resource, and she says, "Perfect, this is where I will settle". We are 15 turns into the game now, and on any difficulty higher than chieftain, it would already be game over.

Anyhow, she settles two cities, and over time we start to develop our cities.

Now, when I choose techs, I choose them in accordance to what I will be doing at least 100 turns down the road. I have the ability to do this, because I have the tech tree memorized, and I know which techs are optimal. However, my sister chose what she felt she needed right now, at the turn she was playing in. She wants her cities to be protected? She techs archery. She wants to connect her two cities? She researches the wheel. She feels that her people need a belief system? She researches mysticism and builds monuments.

Anyhow, the inspiration of the title is something she said later on in the game, when one of her cities were unhappy. This is how that conversation went:

"Brother, why is there a red face on this city?"
"It's probably because the city is overpopulated, and each population point increases unhappiness."
"Well, sort it out guys. At least you live in a city."

I don't know why, but when she said that it made me laugh. It's the kind of light-hearted gaming that I tend to lose any time I become skilled at a game.

So here's my story.

Do you remember what it was first like to play the game? What are some things you could do to bring back that kind of fun into your gaming?

Civ I was the Newspaper headlines.
Civ II was the advisers and the wonder movies.

Granted after a few games they get old and are turned off.

Civ III was ...... Oh yeah, nothing.

Civ IV was what I was hoping III would be.

Civ V hoping VI is playable.

Civ I was watching my troops parade into conquered cities, and the newspaper headlines.
Civ II never played it
Civ III was hearing the units celebrate when promoted (musket man "Ha HA!" marine "BOOYAH!")
Civ IV was hearing Nimoy's lines on all the tech advances
Civ V never played it

civ I had khan as a solitary
civ II was better than civ I
civ III I missed out
civ IV brought back everyone from the civ I series that were gone.. Not only that but its expansions brought back new civilizations that people haven't even heard of.
civ V and its expansions brought back trade routes, religion and introduced tourism.

Honestly the way your little sister plays sounds like the way I play, and I've been playing for a looong time. Maybe that's why I still enjoy it :lol: I honestly have no time for optimization or the most efficient strategy. I play for fun, and I play it the way I want to play at, I have no interest in "beating" civ or in proving anything, I just want to play a nation I think is cool and have a blast.

ringwraith18 said it all. :clap::clap: That's the way it is for me as well. Just a big party! :band:

Civ II was a throne room decoration simulator.
Civ III was a palace construction simulator.
I believe both had an empire building minigame as well.

I have been playing since civ2, so for me there is a long cloudy mind in regards to individual game experience's. But one specific aspect does come to mind. In civ3 when you completed a game with victory, portraits of the AI leaders would appear congratulating you in your win. The AI portraits showed the AI's all beaten and bloody with black eyes and swollen lips. Always thought that was kinda funny.

Honestly the way your little sister plays sounds like the way I play, and I've been playing for a looong time. Maybe that's why I still enjoy it :lol: I honestly have no time for optimization or the most efficient strategy. I play for fun, and I play it the way I want to play at, I have no interest in "beating" civ or in proving anything, I just want to play a nation I think is cool and have a blast.

This for me. I have explored 'beating the game', but the whole 'super-visionary leader'* business made me not really enjoy it. Now I play huge marathon with twenty civs on a modified prince difficulty with faster acceleration for the AI**. I pretty much just play as it goes, and sometimes I win and sometimes I don't.

*The super-visionary leader is the guy who is put in charge of the single village by his people and while the village elders are sorting out this amazing agriculture concept he is planning how to shoot off a spaceship faster than his rivals, probably using a wave of nuclear weapons to delay them.

**I changed the AI bonus per age so they speed up more than normal for prince...IIRC I used values from immortal. I can get a good start, but it prevents a run away pretty well.

Well said. It's the same way I play...

Except that I must win at all costs :mischief:

What is the blind research mod?

Blind Research is a game setting (on by default) in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri where you can't directly choose what tech to research, you can only research towards a certain area (Exploration, Economy, Military etc.) and are then more likely to get a tech related to that. So you couldn't beeline straight to certain techs.

I thought I saw a mod that implemented that in Civ4, but now that I think about it it seems unlikely because it would require tech costs independent on specific techs. My bad.
- :blush:

When I first played Civ 4 I was pretty young and I was terrible. I had explorers defending cities only because I thought they should be pretty strong and have big swords. I was wrong :lol: I also was confused as to why the machine gunners couldn't attack but I eventually got over that. I forgot to defend some cities and I lost two cities in the industrial era to an elephant :lol: But one thing I will never forget is the awe I got from owning such a large empire and hearing all of those quotes. They were so amazing. When I got Civ V I was much better at games and a good bit older so I was pretty good at that. Now, I kind of dominate my Civ 4 games. I've been only mildly "corrupted". While I do have the insight to look many turns ahead and can actively plan and play mechanically, I also don't know all of the numbers, which kind of helps the overall feeling.

What it was like to first play the game...

"Hey, ___, there's this history type game that we can play online, let's get it"

"Okay! ...hmm, can I play as Japan? Samurai are cool. Aha! ...hmm, only one leader. To-ku-ga-wa? Fine, fair enough."

"So, you take your Settler, and use it to make your first city."

"What can I do with my Toku trooper?"

"Well, I've sent mine off exploring, I guess that's the best thing to-"

"What's this? Purple borders? TOKUUUU!"

"Dammit, ___, that's my cit-"

The French civilisation has been destroyed

:cry:

Top Bottom