The Touhou Mod Development Thread

thought of those as well, i liked ideas two.
watching her get a culture victory and your own people take down your empire, sound like fun. I'm also a predominantly culture victory type, so in the end i simply would never worry about her. in the off chance she overtakes me, i would just change my ideology. however it would be a nice to have a culture victory type in Touhou Epic II. (come now we were all thinking it)

i know "Momoko" would make a great addition, and i think other people are thinking about it to. and finally i think she would be bored enough. i know i brought it up earler but i thought about it some more.
any ways her is my thoughts on it

unique ability Pleasure from Hardship,
front-line units ignore enemy's defense bonus,(not their initial defense rating just what they get from leveling up) cannot fortify and heal outside of friendly territory
(named after her spell card 地震「先憂後楽の剣」, her swords ability and her "pseudo-masicism")

unique building, peach trees replaces garden
+1 food +1 production unique resource peaches
(its just because of her nickname)

unique unit
Keystone
powerful siege unit, that is good against city's and armor. high range defense
(high production cost early siege unite classical area)

add:thinking of the prismriver as an art based culture type, but that's all i got.

I was playing with The Yakumo house in my last game and got to thinking how come no railroad bonuses, i mean even a faster movement would do. Yukari's like of train is her only redeeming feature.

I just want to personally say I don't like the idea of basing Tenshi as a civ leader on her fanon portrayal, as it is inaccurate to her actual character. She isn't a masochist, she's a sheltered girl, bored with her life of luxury, looking for an interesting thing to do without considering the future repercussions, and in gensokyo, that's usually fighting the shrine maiden. "I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever" is something she says to Reimu's face regarding why she started her incident.

Rather than a spellcard whose name is merely being used to further the "masochist tenshi" theme but is otherwise not very special, a better spellcard of hers to choose would be a more ultimate attack, much like how I suggested Fantasy Nature for Reimu. (Although neither Yuuka nor Marisa ended up with Master Spark, sadly.) I'd personally suggest "Sky of Scarlet Perception of All Humankind", "Land that Oversees the Distant World Below" or even the Tenshi related but not a spellcard "The Sphere of Neither Perception nor Non-Perception".

Beyond my criticism of any use of mashocistic Tenshi, I had at some point thought of the keystones as a unit for her as a leader, but instead as sort of an AOE unit, assuming such a thing is even possible.

Peaches are a very obvious resource to give her, but given who the Celestials are, they would be better served providing happiness and faith, perhaps even at a cost.

The Prismrivers as a triple leader musician based Civ could be interesting as long as their uniques aren't too close to those of ViceVirtuoso's Miku. Perhaps more of a tourism synergy, rather than linking them to science. They also give a chance to throw some of the more famous touhou songs in as great works. (Though I'd suggest using only official game versions of songs.)

And Aranicar's Yukari civ is in an odd place from what I can tell. The man himself is busy with other things and his mods have not been touched in months from what I can tell. (The "dev" version of the pack was updated in May 2014.) I'd personally say that all three need a bit of work, but Yukari is massively underpowered compared to how she should be (and compared to other touhou civs), due to all her uniques being solely about using the gap transport concept without touching on the ideas of manipulating boundaries. (Though I admit that would be hard to code, if not impossible without things like extensive lua or the ddl extensions.)

i said pseudo-masicism not a sexual thing, i understand that in heaven their is no suffering, no pain, no sorry and the experience of these thing are new to her and exciting. she want to experience hardship because she doesn't have in in heaven.
lets not argue on whether she is or is not a masochist, because zun clearly wont weigh in on it.

would it be possible to alter the advisers per culture.

scarlet devil advisers
Economic Sakuya
Foreign Hong Meiling
military Flandre (he he he) lets go play with Kanako she doesn't have any toys!
science Patchy

Ningen no Sato
Economic Rinnosuke
Foreign Kosuzu
military Mokou
science Akyu

Mamizou
Economic Nazrin
Foreign Minamitsu
military Ichirin
science Nue Houjuu
added them because i just don't see Byakuren in the game.

it would be nice to see them instead, and read what every one would say about subjects.

Oog, I really need to get back into coding, and knuckling down to work on civs. XD Since getting the first version of Mima out, I've been taking a break and focusing more on learning to make graphic assets, which has been a lot of fun. But seeing how prolific some of the other coders have been, and all of the new mods to make compatibility for, I probably should get back to revising my existing mods to bring them up to a new level, as well as consider making a few new ones.

Certainly, Tenshi is one of those characters that I could see actually trying to build up a civ to relieve her boredom, although like nvdr I'd probably go more with the "bored celestial" approach more than the sadomasochistic version. Peaches would be amusing to incorporate in some manner, although one wonders how heaven's peaches vary from those on the moon. (Although one of my favorite lines from a doujinshi had Tenshi trying to convince people that "heaven's peaches are really valuable!", so it'd be amusing to incorporate that in some fashion.)

At some point I still need to consider a Byakuren and a Miko civ, as both would be interesting to try and do diplomatic things with. I know Huitzil wasn't too keen on them, as they didn't really have the sorts of personalities that got his attention.

sort of an AOE unit, assuming such a thing is even possible.

What, like nukes? Or a ranged unit (say, catapult) whose attacks affect multiple hexes? Becuase if it's just a modified nuke without radiation, well, that shouldn't be too hard. If it's a unit that can be moved around and atttacked...maybe give it 0 strength, but give it an ability to fire said modified nukes? I dunno, there's probably an easier way to go about doing that.

And actually, NaughtyTanuki brings up a good question: IS it possible for there to be unique portraits and lines for each Civ's advisors? Google's telling me it hasn't been done, but maybe...? Can someone confirm, because I'd love to get my hands on something like that to play around with!

What, like nukes? Or a ranged unit (say, catapult) whose attacks affect multiple hexes? Becuase if it's just a modified nuke without radiation, well, that shouldn't be too hard. If it's a unit that can be moved around and atttacked...maybe give it 0 strength, but give it an ability to fire said modified nukes? I dunno, there's probably an easier way to go about doing that.

I didn't really think too hard on how exactly it'd work since I only know so much of the code side of these mods. Ideally it'd be similar to the effect of a nuke, but perhaps the strength of a normal unit (or a bit above) and reusable. It might need the be upgradable over time to account for unit and city strength increases. Alternately it could just damage anything in its surrounding tiles, like a mobile citadel?

Just figured I'd drop a note to say I've started the long road to updating my civs. XD I'm lucky in that I'd already worked out Decisions for Suika, and have come up with some ideas to try and give her more internal synergy. At least now she should have a loose feedback loop between her uniques, as well as retaining the "drinking, fighting, and kidnapping humans" feel I'd been trying to aim for. Her Decisions do seem to help out with this nicely, although I know not everyone is going to use them.

A quick summary of the current design:

UA: Onikakushi Pre-gunpowder melee units heal after defeating an enemy unit. Upon capturing an enemy city, gain 1 population in the capital. Whenever an Oni city increases in population, gain points towards a Kishin.
UU: Kishin Replaces Great General. Buffs nearby troops, terrorizes nearby enemies, gives nearby troops a bonus against cities. Can't create a Citadel, but can start a Golden Age.
UB: Brewery Replaces Granary. Generates a bit better food bonus than the Granary, and its yields double during Golden Ages. Also provides a "Drunken Master" promotion to units trained in the city, increasing their movement rate and defense against ranged attacks.

Decisions:

a) Create a Sake Bug -- requires four Breweries, creates four copies of a unique Oni Sake luxury resources.

b) Hold a Drinking Party -- costs 200 gold/city, requires each city to be at least 3 population or higher. Each city loses 1 population, but gain a free melee unit in each city.

Been working on some ideas for Keine and Kanako, so hopefully those will get updated soon too. Still need to make Decisions for them, so that'll take longer. Also need to figure out which other mods I need to add compatibility for -- there's getting to be quite a few. XD

i pick b) thats sound like fun

ADDED NOTE

i just cant see Byakuren as a leader, i don't think she would want to get involved in empire.
there is still a away to have Myouren Temple represented

and to me that's Shou

ability
pagoda are half cost, archeology sites produce faith instead of culture, ruins add gold in addition to what is found

unit

building
gem cannon, must be built on gems resource, stationary and attacks up to three spaces

treasure hunter, can be used to create gems luxuries sites, can do the same as archeologist, replaces archeologist.

just some ideas. to be honest I'm having a hard time thinking of any one from the Myouren Temple as leaders, i mean we already have Mamizou.

i just think Yuyuko, Eiki, Yorihime/Toyohime, and even Namazu would be easier to think of.

i pick b) thats sound like fun

Actually, both Decisions have been implemented -- there's usually two per civ. :p

On the other hand, I've been working on a "Night Parade of 100 Oni" event for Suika. Once that's working she should be pretty much ready for the update!

i just think Yuyuko, Eiki, Yorihime/Toyohime, and even Namazu would be easier to think of.

Namazu would be amusing to make for an April Fool's Touhou civ. Hmmmmmmmm...

Regarding Byakuren as a leader: I support the idea of her being a leader, as it would allow an interplay between her and a Miko civ. (Also, it was her, not Shou who fought in HM.)

This doesn't mean Shou couldn't also be implemented as an alternate leader, and this could even allow their respective versions of Myouren to vary and draw from the leaders' respective lore.

Byakuren could be more focused on going tall, diplomacy and culture, as well as things with buffs of various types. Shou could be more about combat and a wide empire and her aspects as an avatar of Bishamonten, a god of victory and warfare who punishes evildoers.

here is my
Namazu idea

ability;
the Fleeting World!
production of ships are 25% increased, sight is +1

special building(Catfish "The Earth Liquefies into Mud!" i feel that land manipulation is a must.)
flood planes
workers can be used to turn tiles into flood plains(no tundra or snow)

special unit
big fish replaces nuclear submarine can carry two additional missiles. can enter floodplains.

might need to Hong Meiling it as well even though SDM is already in the game.

ability;
the Fleeting World!
production of ships are 25% increased, sight is +1

The full name would be better: "With This Ends the Fleeting World!"

Honestly, this UA feels like a variation on the much maligned American UA, albeit with a bonus to a way to produce the best way to fight AI on high levels. (Something I feel you might have picked for a reason.)

I feel that it's too basic and mediocre for a civ at this point. There's just so little versatility for that. And really, it doesn't really fit the name very well.

If it's a joke AFD civ as was suggested, I'd almost say it could draw from the Mass Effect Reaper civ, where they start with an overpowered unit and can't lose except by conquest. Only fitting for the emissary/avatar of Taisui Xingjun, god of calamity.

special building(Catfish "The Earth Liquefies into Mud!" i feel that land manipulation is a must.)
flood planes
workers can be used to turn tiles into flood plains(no tundra or snow)

You actually mean Marsh. Flood Plains are desert non-hills next to river.

Also the code savvy people can correct me if I'm wrong, but while you can change what kind of terrain a tile is during a game, there's no way to refresh the graphics, meaning it will retain the graphics of the original tile. This could be different with marsh, since it's removable like jungle and forest but I can't be sure.

The other issue is that this is a building for some reason, and its only purpose is to let workers turn tiles into one of the most useless terrain types in the game. Marsh is terrible unless you're the Dutch.

A better idea is to give the building a bonus to marsh tiles, since they're non-improvable and otherwise useless. Put the workers turning other land to marsh in the UA.

special unit
big fish replaces nuclear submarine can carry two additional missiles. can enter floodplains.

This is extremely lategame and not particularly viable unless you play on higher difficulties, where other units will have surpassed you in other victory categories far before you can get the subs, because you don't have a good UA and all your land is useless marsh. If you did actually make use of your slightly improved navy, you can win before the subs are relevant.

I'd suggest instead making the Giant Catfish a unique hero unit, like Tropico's El Presidente or Railgun's Mikasa Mikoto, where they upgrade throughout the tech tree. Have him behave as a combat unit as well as an Admiral, since he's obviously a fish and therefore more of a naval unit. (This will obviously mean you'll need actual coast and a coast bias.)

I'm not sure what I think of marshes-as-canals, but it's certainly an idea. Once again I'm not sure that's at all possible without something like those DDL mods, but it might be, there is that forts-as-canals mod on the workshop. Restricting it to a late game unit when you have a thing to let workers (I assume this ability would be somewhat before atomic era) make marsh is kinda poorly planned.

might need to Hong Meiling it as well even though SDM is already in the game.

This would actually be good to paired up with a joke AFD Catfish, since Meiling was the one to defeat him, and she's not exactly material for a standard serious civ.

While I don't have any particular concept for her, she definitely seems the type for land units, somewhere the catfish would be weaker. (Having her be intended mostly as a counter to the Catfish but still usable on her own would be ideal.)

I would definitely suggest Meiling herself as a hero unit, with no terrain penalties (to counter all that marsh) and a great general bonus to her fellow warriors. This also has the added benefit of subverting the tired lazy Meiling meme.

Hmm... given that Marshes are features, it may be possible to spawn them on the map. I'd have to look at the code for that Reforestation mod, since Forests and Marshes should function similarly.

Some other random ideas:

Since Namazu/Taishui Xingjun does seem to be associated with earthquakes and other disasters, it would be interesting to have some kind of terrain impact. The ability to create Marshes (with corresponding benefits to them) would be neat. Another idea that came to mind would be that a Namazu unit could automatically pillage all non-friendly improvements around it... a walking disaster area. :p

Another idea that came to mind while reading about how Taisui Xingjun sent assassins disguised as other Touhou characters against Meiling, was that a Namazu civ could potentially get free "assassin" units when it denounced another civ. These could enter foreign lands, and be invisible while in territories that Namazu was denouncing...

So bouncymischa, is there a chance you could add a mutual positive relations modifier between Marisa and Mima, so as to prevent this?

It just seems out of character for either of them to want to wage war on the other on their own, without a lot of manipulation.

And Aranicar's Yukari civ is in an odd place from what I can tell. The man himself is busy with other things and his mods have not been touched in months from what I can tell. (The "dev" version of the pack was updated in May 2014.) I'd personally say that all three need a bit of work, but Yukari is massively underpowered compared to how she should be (and compared to other touhou civs), due to all her uniques being solely about using the gap transport concept without touching on the ideas of manipulating boundaries. (Though I admit that would be hard to code, if not impossible without things like extensive lua or the ddl extensions.)

I'm just really invested in a game called college and I'm grinding homework like crazy, not to mention the exam bosses and project dungeons :D. Doesn't help that the only free time I had was last fall, which was used to try out Shogun 2 mods.

I'm trying to follow along, but the email response system has been lagging behind. I just got 20-30 emails in the last 30 min from this thread dating back to last Nov. Of course, feel free to dump ideas on me. I just won't be able to act on them until this summer.

my only problem is fighting Yukari fells like i'm fighting Daiyousei as Miko.

she feels like a stage two mid-boss

ps good luck on them dungeons and remember to, on them bosses

seriously keeping calm is the best why to take a test.

So I ran across this while Googling my stuff:

http://ch.nicovideo.jp/ephy_jp

It looks like a guy is translating the mods to Japanese? Or, just their Dawn of Man screens? I don't know what is going on here, but it seems like it'd be of interest.

So I ran across this while Googling my stuff:

http://ch.nicovideo.jp/ephy_jp

It looks like a guy is translating the mods to Japanese? Or, just their Dawn of Man screens? I don't know what is going on here, but it seems like it'd be of interest.

Hey Huitzil!

That's rather interesting -- considering how much we over here always translate Touhou games and other material into English so we can enjoy it, it's a bit amusing to see some Japanese people wanting to translate our mods so they can enjoy them...

Top Bottom