Resource icon

JFD's Rise to Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, sorry. I'm currently fighting with the issue of updating a few of my custom civs from within P&P, which is proving more difficult than it should. After that, there are a few very minor things for me to consider and accommodate (the World Religion resolution, Defender of the Faith decision, Holy Orders event). I've also got an essay due in two weeks and civs to update and what have you. I'll aim for release by the end of the month; so the beta may come without updates to civs to incorporate the new mechanics, which is the largest thing left to do.

D'you know what, this and Events and Decisions along with some fleshed-out civs could make for a pretty solid expansion pack. Good job guys, keep it up!

I will aim for a working version to be released in November (I said at the end of September, but some testing proved that some additional changes needed to be made - I was also a bit sidetracked by Cultural Diversity :p). My final exam is on October 31st, and I don't really want to be distracted by bugfixing and what have you before then.

I can almost see religious pogroms (city losing population, but all heretics are converted to the one and the only religion, +gold - it was always important to grab the wealth of sinners and use it in good cause).
Anyway, I think the mod is probably complex enough (well, religion is quite inspiring subject and yet it is simplified to few numbers in game), therefore I am not gonna flow suggestions.

I wanted to ask about leader flavour. If the leader has no assigned one, is there some default one set for him/her or the game crashes in agony?

Some experience: I am playing with pantheon requiring 20 Faith (+2 per each founded) and each pantheon has providing faith. Religions are found by T80 (normal, immortal). First one is usually about T60. (in unmodded game, first religions were also about T60, but last ones were usually about T100).

I have linked Religious buildings to Enchancer belief. Main reason was to let non-religion civs using faith before GP. It is actually funny to live between strong religions so your cities have multi-cultured faith buildings.

In opposite to Pantheon, I made Founder and Follower beliefs not granting any faith (so there is a need to fuel religion in other ways). What was a result? Rather than one superior religion (Ethiopia + Pilgrimage <3), there are usually 4 strong ones and 3 rather forgotten. (depends how religion are distributed in regions).
I was trying to standardise things (pantheon - faith; follower/founder - various bonuses; enchancer - bonus for spreading religion and building).

What may be interesting to you is Reformation belief (mainly reason I wrote this, because I haven't found anything about Reformation in OP). I am actually using a dummy policy to trigger it (in my case, the trigger is Industrial Era, but I think you can make it more complex with all those systems you are using and create).
What is the main advantage? Policy granting Reformation is useless for civs, which haven't found religion. I think, making Piety viable for every civ is crucial. I actually don't mind going Piety tree in my games and fail to found religion (I got Happiness, faster plot acquiring and it helps in buying faith buildings, which are quite important source of Happiness and Culture in medieval era for me). On the other hand, I nerfed Tradition hard so it may be the cause. :crazyeye:

I wanted to ask about leader flavour. If the leader has no assigned one, is there some default one set for him/her or the game crashes in agony?

Some experience: I am playing with pantheon requiring 20 Faith (+2 per each founded) and each pantheon has providing faith. Religions are found by T80 (normal, immortal). First one is usually about T60. (in unmodded game, first religions were also about T60, but last ones were usually about T100).

I have linked Religious buildings to Enchancer belief. Main reason was to let non-religion civs using faith before GP. It is actually funny to live between strong religions so your cities have multi-cultured faith buildings.

In opposite to Pantheon, I made Founder and Follower beliefs not granting any faith (so there is a need to fuel religion in other ways). What was a result? Rather than one superior religion (Ethiopia + Pilgrimage <3), there are usually 4 strong ones and 3 rather forgotten. (depends how religion are distributed in regions).
I was trying to standardise things (pantheon - faith; follower/founder - various bonuses; enchancer - bonus for spreading religion and building).

What may be interesting to you is Reformation belief (mainly reason I wrote this, because I haven't found anything about Reformation in OP). I am actually using a dummy policy to trigger it (in my case, the trigger is Industrial Era, but I think you can make it more complex with all those systems you are using and create).
What is the main advantage? Policy granting Reformation is useless for civs, which haven't found religion. I think, making Piety viable for every civ is crucial. I actually don't mind going Piety tree in my games and fail to found religion (I got Happiness, faster plot acquiring and it helps in buying faith buildings, which are quite important source of Happiness and Culture in medieval era for me). On the other hand, I nerfed Tradition hard so it may be the cause. :crazyeye:

Unless otherwise changed, the leader flavour will be 0 - which just means there will be no diplomatic reaction to piety levels or State Religion. Leaders like Gandhi and Washington have this value.

The changes to the Piety tree are tentative for now - a closer look at how I'd like Social policies to be will be done for the Prestige part of the mod. I want to find a home for the Reformation belief outside of the Piety tree, but this'll come when I know more about my later plans. I also have to somehow reconcile the Reformation Belief with the Reformation event that occurs under certain conditions, which causes the foundation of a random, Protestant religion.

Is there going to be heathen/heretic hate like in EU4? Like all catholics will consider the other christian denomination followers as heretics and followers of other religions as heathens.

Heathens dislike one another, but no distinction has been make for heresy - the religion system is a bit too generic for that. The exception is for Protestantism, which will be especially despised by the religion that controls the Roman Curia.

Heathens dislike one another, but no distinction has been make for heresy - the religion system is a bit too generic for that. The exception is for Protestantism, which will be especially despised by the religion that controls the Roman Curia.

I've been wondering about that: how does this work if the Roman Curia isn't Catholic? Is there a religious grouping system in place so a Theravada Roman Curia could have Mahayana for their Reformation sect (if there are no appropriate sects a random religion is selected)?

Perhaps there could be an ingame customization screen? like consider THIS RELIGION'S followers as heretics/heathens/friendly, also changing diplo relations with the religion owner and followers . The AI could use this system too depending on their relation with the other religion owner , Perhaps you could get bonuses against enemy religions? Idk

An also nice minor aesthetic addition would be changing the institution names .

EDIT:
World congress resolution to combine 2+ religions ?(Combining Sunni,Shia,Suffi etc to Islam(Icon and Name option) ) but I don't think the game can handle that.

Best of luck to you :worship:

Hey JFD, I'm currently making a bunch of changes to the Civ Names by Policies mod to suit my own purposes such as naming based on certain buildings, wonders, number of puppets, etc. (and compatibility with names for your own civs such as "Great Britain" and "United States"), but just remembered you said you had a similar component in the works for this mod - or at least, I think you did. :p

Is that the case? Not too keen on creating a new method of dynamic naming if you've got a better one coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom