History Never Truly Ends

LyricalAssassin

Warlord
I've been playing CivIV and V for years now, and a recent habit that I've come across in the last month or so is disabling all victory conditions. Sometimes I like to play games as if it's an alternate Earth, with an alternate history and I like to see how the future of my games turn out. I hate coming across the victories now because to me, history doesn't end until the last human drops dead, and sometimes I like my games to reflect this. I will tell you though, global warming pretty much kills everything late game :lol:

I was just wondering if anybody else does this from time to time?

I used to, but I don't anymore. You need diplomatic victory on to allow the Apostolic Palace. So it changes the tech tree. I agree with the idea that victory conditions feel too artificial. On the other hand, most people enjoy the early game the most, so what happens late is often not so important.

I like the idea in theory, but by the time I reach the industrial era I’m looking around for a victory condition to shoot for, just because the game is getting tiresome by then. I like the exploration/land grab/expansion phases, and when I’ve been playing the same game for over 40 hours, that part is over and it’s time for something new.

Maybe if I played smaller maps, I’d give it a shot.

I'm with 6K Man. But then you'd be doing a simulation rather than a game.

So you kill everyone then build a massive empire with heaps of cities and just future tech forever?

I appreciate the concept you are suggesting but really it has to stop somewhere though?

So, are you saying that one can disable the Time Victory option and therefore the game really won't end? The idea is certainly interesting.

However, for me, what I find to be more fun, is to play on a Continents-like map with a small continent and a couple of opponents. Then, one has to move on to defeating AIs on very large continents, who have had the chance to build empires as big as or larger than your original small continent.

Basically, after you've accomplished one challenge, you'll then be faced with a much larger challenge that keeps you on your toes, even if you've had great success with your first challenge.

I sorta did this once back in my Noble level days (circa 2006). Huge map, 18 civs, marathon speed, no vassals, only Conquest victory available. It took me until after 2200 AD and took me months to finish. Total game time was over 75 hours IIRC. Can't ever do that again. I can't even do marathon games anymore. Not enough time for those long drawn out games anymore.

I actually agree wholeheartedly. I've never done it because it has never occurred to me but I kinda want to start a never-ending game now. Whenever I hit a victory I just feel kind of like I have to quit. Also, the victory music and victory words get annoying :p

Top Bottom