WINNING?

robbus

Warlord
what percentage of the games played do you win? Let us discount the games abandoned because of a bad start position?

When do you quit? Is there any way to recover when you think you are doomed?

I want to play the game to the almost end to see if I win, not realize that I much more powerful and then spend 10 hrs systematically eliminating my rivals.

Do you modify strategy to win space race when your initial plan at domination or culture fails?

I am more a backgammon player than a chess player. Sudden reversals from pure chance are expected in backgammon. In chess if you are playing a qualified opponent a reversal is very difficult (but often brilliant!)

I am looking for something in between (I suspect we all are) from the civ3,4 experience.

I am a newbie transplant from civ3.

I am respectfully asking for opinions. I have included a save of my second game small map 4 rivals.

I include this to show you my skill level and not as a solicitation of help

I am asking that how often and when do reversals happen in the community experience?

Attachments

• rob AD-1812.Civ4SavedGame
    189.2 KB · Views: 60
You have hit on the core problem with Civ games in my opinion. They are much more chess than backgammon...and they are chess with no resign function on the part of the AI. If an AI gets into that cascade where you know you are beaten you may quit, but when the cascade is going the other way you either quit and call it a win or you have to play it all the way out to the boringly inevitable conclusion.

You can raise the difficulty level so that you effectively start out way behind, and that way every win has some quality of reversal about it. I'm experimenting with modifying the acceleration function, which increases the AI bonuses as they pass through the ages, but can't say I've found anything I would call a perfect solution.

Certainly there are times where a game is pretty much unwinnable, but in most cases you can find a way to overcome being behind in this game, if you know what you are doing.

Get BTS, robbus

In Civ IV I win almost every game. Civ III and V I rarely finish games, it just gets boring to play it all the way out.

Top Bottom