Announcing BUFFY

We should be coming out with a zip file for BULL with directions soon, isa. Just Advise that BUG doesn't have BULL with it, and link to this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/civ4bull/files/ to get the DLL. Maybe also suggest that BAT 2.0 and later contains BULL.

While I assume that you can't load a game started on BUG in BUFFY, does the opposite hold true (i.e. loading a BUFFY game in BUG)? Also, this might be difficult to tell on a more powerful computer, but it seems that BUFFY is quicker than BUG.

While I assume that you can't load a game started on BUG in BUFFY, does the opposite hold true (i.e. loading a BUFFY game in BUG)?

BUFFY is non-saved-game-compatible with BUG, so you can't move a saved game from one to the other. However, it's the BUFFY DLL that causes this. You could copy BUFFY's DLL to BUG's Assets folder (if BUG is installed as a mod) and rename the BUG folder to the same as BUFFY to fool BTS and play the BUFFY games in BUG. Also, the game must have been started with the Lock Modified Assets option unchecked.

But since BUFFY is BUG + the BUFFY DLL, the only reason to do this is to play games started on BUFFY using the latest version of BUG.

Also, this might be difficult to tell on a more powerful computer, but it seems that BUFFY is quicker than BUG.

As I said above, BUFFY = BUG + BULL + HOF security stuff. I don't see how BUFFY could be faster than BUG, but I can't say that's impossible. Can you give me any idea what part is faster? Is it AI turns that are faster, scrolling around the map, opening screens, or startup time?

But since BUFFY is BUG + the BUFFY DLL, the only reason to do this is to play games started on BUFFY using the latest version of BUG.

As I said above, BUFFY = BUG + BULL + HOF security stuff. I don't see how BUFFY could be faster than BUG, but I can't say that's impossible. Can you give me any idea what part is faster? Is it AI turns that are faster, scrolling around the map, opening screens, or startup time?

My main reason for wanting to know whether the switched could made is that I can use BUFFY's mapfinder to find a desired map and I can play a save right the next time I reload the game (instead of having to load BUFFY again because my computer is quite slow).

As for the 2nd part it might just be that my computer slowly loads/starts a game the first time around (although this also extends to unit movement and time between turns) and is much quicker the sequent times.

My main reason for wanting to know whether the switched could made is that I can use BUFFY's mapfinder to find a desired map and I can play a save right the next time I reload the game (instead of having to load BUFFY again because my computer is quite slow).
I've done that with the HOF mod. Steps are:
  • Start the game with a HOF mod loaded
  • set up the game as you would like it (map, options, difficulty, opponents, etc) - do not select 'locked modified assets'
  • set mapfinder running
  • locate the save you want to play
  • enter WB and save the WB file
  • exit back to vanilla BtS (or with BUG loaded under customassets)
  • start a scenario and look for the WB file you saved 2 steps above

I want to use BUFFY as my default mod for new games and playing WB saves, but I also want to be able to open other people's saves (for SGs and the like) with BUFFY so I could have access to the features. I understood the way to do this was to install BUFFY in customassets (which I assume means My Games/Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets) but I don't really get how to do that, and the instructions for installing BUG don't seem to translate to BUFFY. Where do I have to unzip the BUFFY self-extracting archive to make this work, or am I going about it all wrong?

Apologies for the noobish question.

I want to use BUFFY as my default mod for new games and playing WB saves, but I also want to be able to open other people's saves (for SGs and the like) with BUFFY so I could have access to the features. I understood the way to do this was to install BUFFY in customassets (which I assume means My Games/Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets) but I don't really get how to do that, and the instructions for installing BUG don't seem to translate to BUFFY. Where do I have to unzip the BUFFY self-extracting archive to make this work, or am I going about it all wrong?

Apologies for the noobish question.
The best option is to use BUFFY as your default single player games and install BUG under customassets for SGs. BUFFY is BUG with BULL and some HOF security stuff and some mods that the HOF guys have approved (eg global warming).

If you cannot live without your BULL stuff, you will need to talk everyone in the SGs into using BUFFY.

The best option is to use BUFFY as your default single player games and install BUG under customassets for SGs. BUFFY is BUG with BULL and some HOF security stuff and some mods that the HOF guys have approved (eg global warming).

If you cannot live without your BULL stuff, you will need to talk everyone in the SGs into using BUFFY.

Okay, so I installed BUFFY in my Mods folder and added it to the .ini file, and used the installer to install BUG in customassets using the single-player choice, but when I try to start a game now I get all kinds of errors.

Spoiler PythonErr :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "BugConfig", line 106, in unknown_endtag
File "BugConfig", line 330, in endChild
File "BugConfig", line 333, in end
File "BugConfig", line 314, in process
File "BugConfig", line 521, in handle
File "BugUtil", line 587, in getFunction
File "BugUtil", line 574, in lookupFunction
ConfigError: No such module 'ReligionUtil'
File "BugConfig", line 561, in handle
File "BugUtil", line 576, in lookupFunction
ConfigError: Module 'CvTechChooser' must define function or class 'resetTechPrefs'
File "BugConfig", line 561, in handle
ConfigError: Module 'CvTechChooser' must define function or class 'resetTechPrefs'
File "WidgetUtil", line 148, in handle
ConfigError: Module 'CvCustomizableDomesticAdvisor' must define function or class 'getEditWidgetText'
File "BugOptions", line 1453, in handle
ConfigError: Module 'autologEventManager' must define function or class 'setDefaultFileName'
ConfigError: Module 'autologEventManager' must define function or class 'setFilePath'
ConfigError: Module 'autologEventManager' must define function or class 'setFileName'
File "BugInit", line 98, in callInits
File "CvScreensInterface", line 1158, in init
File "CvScreensInterface", line 138, in createDomesticAdvisor
File "BugCore", line 139, in __getattr__
AttributeError: isCustDomAdv

I'd include PythonDbg too but it's way too long to post. Where did I screw up?

oops - forgot to mention that BUFFY doesn't like BUG installed in customassets. You need to rename customassets to something else if you want to use BUFFY.

This is fixed in v2 that is currently undergoing user acceptance testing (my, that does sound professional).

oops - forgot to mention that BUFFY doesn't like BUG installed in customassets. You need to rename customassets to something else if you want to use BUFFY.

This is fixed in v2 that is currently undergoing user acceptance testing (my, that does sound professional).

Great, thanks!

yeah, i had some good suggestions, but EF got it stuck in his ars....errr... head... that it'd be "funny" to call it BUFFY and make everyone wonder what it's name meant. But, it is what it is. The best name for a mod is one I never finished though... CivRetro... (sighs) To have all the Civ games in one...

I think the image that comes to mind when you think of the name of a mod is a little important. I noticed that for BUG and BAT someone had the clever idea of giving them cute pictures that help to make the mods look more unique, polished, professionally done. What can you possibly use fur BUFFY? No civ player I know would want to associate himself/herself with the character Buffy so...

What do we say to newbies who ask what BUFFY is? We have to say it's a silly name given by one of its creators just to confuse - it doesn't actually mean anything? I've already had one person post in the thread for PIG who was clearly confused about the purpose of BUFFY, thinking it was similar to mods like BULL or BUG in that it was meant to be used with other mods.

I know I'm being critical and it's none of my business, but just giving my honest thoughts on this...

P.S. Has someone made a bull picture for BULL yet? That would be awesome.:D

We should just use this image ... totally BUFF!

That's the grossest thing I've ever seen. :vomit:

Honestly, my main reason for liking BUFFY is that people can actually search for it: not a three-letter acronym, not a normal English word, and there were only 4 hits in the forums for it already. BUG, BAT, and BULL have no real meanings either.

Besides, the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer from the movie was awesome! :p

I thought BUG was Bts Unaltered Gameplay? A google search finds that pretty easily.

BULL is kinda BUg dLL I assumed. Don't know what BAT is...

I think because it's a mod with a specific purpose in mind (Hall of Fame games) its name should somehow reflect that purpose.

To be fair, BULL is not really intended as a mod but a component for other mods so it's ok if its name isn't extremely meaningful.

I can't imagine a name of a popular movie or TV character making it any easier to find in searches. Still, searching for BUFFY mod on google returns the right page first hit.

People are constantly having trouble searching for BUG and BAT because they are normal words that appear all over this site (BAT to a lesser extant). We got tons of complaints early on, but now you can search for three letter words and people are learning to search for "BUG Mod" instead of just BUG.

I admin that BUFFY was chosen more for its goofiness than anything else, but it does kinda merge BUG and HOF. If it's any consolation, I suggested Minotaur for BULL + BBAI (a smarter bull), so I'm not entirely bereft of creativity. :p

Top Bottom