Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

Maybe they will make a version of Eclipse for LUA and Civ 5 :) I would be a happy coder.
Ooohh, I could get excited about that. (As long as Oracle don't brick eclipse with another Java automatic update like they did this month!)

Actually I realized I have another question.
Will we get the SDK from day one or will we have to wait, as we did with Civ4 vanilla, for a patch?

I don't want to derail this topic more on this (from my personal experience, the software I own operates in the same fashion as Civ V - although I'm sure there are some programs out today that allow two different people to use the program simultaneously on two different machines - but not most.) Suffice it to say this isn't something that's allowed, and on behalf of the dev team, I hope everyone here respects them and their hard work.

Sure, absolutely.

I'm not talking about simultaneously, however. I'm talking about my 8 yr old nephew coming over and me showing him how to play the game. According to the policy, I would have to purchase an entirely new copy just for that. I don't have to do the same for pretty much anything else, from MS Word to Civ 4.

Sure, absolutely.

I'm not talking about simultaneously, however. I'm talking about my 8 yr old nephew coming over and me showing him how to play the game. According to the policy, I would have to purchase an entirely new copy just for that. I don't have to do the same for pretty much anything else, from MS Word to Civ 4.

Sitting with your nephew to teach him Civ is great - that's how I learned many programs with my father! Just don't run the same copy on two computers for the both of you to play each other simultaneously like the first comment ;) hope he likes it.

Probably on the mod tools pack, which would be completely awesome. Maybe they will make a version of Eclipse for LUA and Civ 5 :) I would be a happy coder. Greg I have a question about the FAQ, as I'm a completely newbie on things Steam. Will any of the contents be region locked? Is there a way, on the multiplayer interface to know where the other gamers are and lock them base on geo data?

Why would you want to exclude players from your games based on regions? Latency can be an issue in a p2p game, but I am going to assume that you can see a players ping time as you can in Civ4, if not that is a large step back. And then yes I would agree that excluding high ping players is fine.

CS

Sitting with your nephew to teach him Civ is great - that's how I learned many programs with my father! Just don't run the same copy on two computers for the both of you to play each other simultaneously like the first comment ;) hope he likes it.

Great, then! So, as long as I'm present, he (well, "we") can use my Steam account, sounds like.

Great, then! So, as long as I'm present, he (well, "we") can use my Steam account, sounds like.
This is kind of vital for Hot Seat game. I'd be nice if we could get a official "2k/Steam lawyers say yes" to this.

Steam can't prove your family has one account that they share so don't worry about it. The one thing you shouldnt do is use loopholes to use this one account on multiple computers at the same time.

DLC will only be available through Steam,

Steam accepts the following kind of online payments;
- Paypal or Click and buy
- Visa
- Mastercard
- American Express
- Discover
- JCB

DLC will be avaliable only through Steam? This is the first I have herd of this. So we are forced to shop at one place then. So we can buy Civ V anywhere, but if you want DLC you are forced to shop at Steam then?

Talk about free advertising for Steam. You buy Civ V from a different digiatal game site like Gamersgate or Stardock or what ever, but forced to go to Steam to buy DLC.

I do not like this practice of being told where you have to buy something. This is a bad practice when you tell loyal customers where you have to go and buy your own product.

DLC will be avaliable only through Steam? This is the first I have herd of this. So we are forced to shop at one place then. So we can buy Civ V anywhere, but if you want DLC you are forced to shop at Steam then?

Talk about free advertising for Steam. You buy Civ V from a different digiatal game site like Gamersgate or Stardock or what ever, but forced to go to Steam to buy DLC.

I do not like this practice of being told where you have to buy something. This is a bad practice when you tell loyal customers where you have to go and buy your own product.

I'm pretty sure that statement is incorect, in fact D2D has already announced it has a DLC deal if you buy Civ5 from it's service.

What is a fact is that no matter who you give your money too it is Steam that manages the Keys to that DLC and it will be Steam that you D/L the DLC from unless you are buying a hard copy on CD from a box store in which case only the Key is being transmited to Steam.

CS

I'm pretty sure that statement is incorect, in fact D2D has already announced it has a DLC deal if you buy Civ5 from it's service.

What is a fact is that no matter who you give your money too it is Steam that manages the Keys to that DLC and it will be Steam that you D/L the DLC from unless you are buying a hard copy on CD from a box store in which case only the Key is being transmited to Steam.

CS
Not to mention the map packs that are available as pre-order bonus from various supplier. What you get from those suppliers is an e-mail with a Key (activation code). This Key you have to type or copy into either your Civ5 game or into the Steam interface to activate the extra functionality and download it if you don't have it on your PC already.

Having said that, it makes sense to assume that only a limited number of web shops will offer DLC. I personally have never seen DLC being offered in a retail shop or even from a webshop that ships a retail product.
Btw, Gamersgate and Stardock do not appear to sell Civilization V yet.

Thanks for the FAQ. It answers many major questions.
I need a bit of clarification, of what is probably a mis-conception of mine.
As I understand backups of any program, it saves off the necessary files as they exist on that computer. It is my understanding that this will reload onto the same computer just fine, but I have allways thought that moving this to any other computer was impossible due to the unique nature of the way the target computer was configured. I was under the impression that to load on a different computer would require the pre-install files which then install.
Is this just generally wrong? or does steam backup work differently than other backups?
If I can do as you say I can, using steam backup, you have a sold customer.

Rather than ask again, I'm bumping this.

As I understand backups of any program, it saves off the necessary files as they exist on that computer. It is my understanding that this will reload onto the same computer just fine, but I have allways thought that moving this to any other computer was impossible due to the unique nature of the way the target computer was configured. I was under the impression that to load on a different computer would require the pre-install files which then install.
Is this just generally wrong? or does steam backup work differently than other backups?

I really thought I answered this, but I just checked and you're right that I did not!

You can restore a Steam backup to any computer; the main point of the feature is to make it so that you do not need to download the entire game from the Internet after you reinstall your OS or buy a new computer or something. People with very limited bandwidth caps also sometimes use it as a precaution in case something happens to their computer.

You can sort of think of a Steam backup as creating an "install disk" that you can then use to install to any computer. It does not back up your saved games or mods or anything like that; just the core game files.

Yes and no. You're right that during installation, the configuration of software is tuned to the particular hardware of your computer. With downloadable software, basically you're downloading the whole DVD and then it configures itself. So if you use the Steam backup feature, most likely you're downloading the DVD and then backing it up. So if you move the whole backup to another computer, it'll just configure itself to the new target computer when you restore from the backup.

Sorry to ask such a noob "dummie" question, but, if I download and install via Steamworks, is there ever a need to use my DVD drive?

I only ask since my internal DVD has gone kaput and I thought I'd need to purchase a new one for Civ V... thanks

oh, and will Steam accept overseas downloads (I am currently based in Singapore) Thanks!

Sorry to ask such a noob "dummie" question, but, if I download and install via Steamworks, is there ever a need to use my DVD drive?

I only ask since my internal DVD has gone kaput and I thought I'd need to purchase a new one for Civ V... thanks
No, if you buy/download from Steamworks or Direct2Drive, then you don't need to use the DVD drive.

Alternatively to buying a new DVD drive, you could load the contents of the DVD onto a memory stick using a friend's computer or office computer and transport to your PC that way.

oh, and will Steam accept overseas downloads (I am currently based in Singapore) Thanks!
Yes, they do.

Top Bottom