AI Not building workers [3.14.1]

Erikose

Chieftain
Played a few games - king/epic&marathon/communitas map - and after pulling ahead rather quickly, I began to notice something strange: many civs with excellent capitol cities were begging for luxuries and rarely had any of their own to trade, with the exception of whales and pearls.

After exploring the world once astronomy kicked in, I found that this was not a local phenomenon. AI civs for the most part were not building any workers and leaving even luxury resource tiles undeveloped. This seemed to devastate their development as infoaddict showed me as being number one in pretty much every category by the medieval era. While happy to take credit for some of the massive lead, I know that this is probably most responsible :dubious:

My mods are few and I take all the steps to clear the cache at every update. In addition, CEP is only downloaded manually from github, so there will be no steam interference. Anyone else notice something similar?

- Erikose

Mods (latest on steam): colored religions, faster aircraft animations, infoaddict, red modpack, ceg 3.14.1. Forgot to turn on logging, so none to post . . .

Could you try adding the following to the end of CEG/AI/CEAI_LeaderFlavors.sql and testing the change?

PHP:
UPDATE Leader_Flavors
SET Flavor = Flavor + 2
WHERE FlavorType = 'FLAVOR_TILE_IMPROVEMENT';

I am having trouble testing flavor changes myself because my machine is having trouble running civ5 at the moment.

I currently have a game using 3.14.1 running and I see no problem with worker AI.

Just conquered Marrakesh and they had a few improved wine tiles and a silver mine. Before that I took out Delhi and they too had improved farm land and incense tiles.

If you are seeing something going on then there is a conflict issue. IMO.

I currently have a game using 3.14.1 running and I see no problem with worker AI.

Just conquered Marrakesh and they had a few improved wine tiles and a silver mine. Before that I took out Delhi and they too had improved farm land and incense tiles.

Are you playing on a higher difficulty? The AIs get a free worker at the start so they'd be improving tiles properly even if the AI is not building workers.

@ExpiredReign - As I said, not universal among all the civs, and pretty sure these mods have nothing in common based on long experience with them and CEG. Has happened to me in more than one game on king since the update, and even many of the city states I befriended had no improvements and I wound up having to buy the luxury. This even after 500+ turns. Should mention that I also play on huge maps, so I get the full complement of civs and CSs.

@Hreat, I play on king, so perhaps early barb worker captures don't get recovered from?

@stackpointer, going to try your code and see if I notice a difference. Going to start a new game after clearing caches and reloading mods with this change. Will turn on logging this time as well.

- Erikose

@Erikose perhaps if you provide more details on the matter then we could pin the error down quicker.
At least giving us the civs you saw then we can try and duplicate it.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Same thing happening with me, AI civs are basically not improving any tiles, even luxuries and strategic resources.

@Expired Reign It seems to be happening with all types of Civs. Ones I've noticed so far are Sweden, Persia, Carthage, Ethopia, Zulu

@stackpoint I'm a complete noob when it comes to modding...Could you give me more complete instructions on how to modify the flavor "Flavor_Tile_Improvements"?

Nevermind, I figured it out ;)

UPDATE LoadedFile SET Value=1 WHERE Type='CEAI_LeaderFlavors.sql';

^ This is what's written at the end of my CEG/AI/CEAI_LeadersFlavors.sql...Is there a reason this differs from what you posted above (assuming that the only change you suggested to make is what's in red)?

Use a text editor (notepad) to insert the code into the file without having to replace or delete any other code. The code you quoted doesn't need to be replaced.

Started new game as Elizabeth using the above code inserted at the very end of the file (after the loadedfile statement mentioned above). As of turn 100, Rome has many units, including a ship and a caravan, but no evidence of a worker. Searching the surrounding areas, but the barb camps do not have a captured worker, so there goes that theory . . .

Am in a cool start position, so will play further into the game and examine some more civs, but what about Hreat's comment that the civs should be starting with a worker at this level?

Playing king/huge communitas/marathon.

- Erikose

UPDATE: turn 114 and looking at Venice: 3 archers, a warrior and a bireme, but no worker present.
UPDATE2: turn 120, Paris, no worker and no work boats exploiting pearls. Also checked lua.log and see the following popping up for varying civs:

[792288.502] MT_Initialize: INFO Turn 57 Augustus Caesar no affordable unit of FLAVOR_TILE_IMPROVEMENT

Enclosing log file . . .

How long does it take to build a worker on marathon?

I have 8 hammers at the moment, and it would take 53 turns to build a worker in my capital. I remember the civs starting with workers as well before this . . .

Also, keep getting "invalid file" when I try to attach the log. Do I need to shut down the game first?

- Erikose

The AI gets less production bonuses than it does in vanilla BNW. Try adding the following:

PHP:
UPDATE Leader_Flavors
SET Flavor = Flavor - 2
WHERE FlavorType = 'FLAVOR_OFFENSE';

UPDATE Leader_Flavors
SET Flavor = Flavor - 2
WHERE FlavorType = 'FLAVOR_DEFENSE';

UPDATE Leader_Flavors
SET Flavor = Flavor - 2
WHERE FlavorType = 'FLAVOR_WONDER';

UPDATE Leader_Flavors
SET Flavor = Flavor + 2
WHERE FlavorType = 'FLAVOR_TILE_IMPROVEMENT';

PHP:
[792288.502] MT_Initialize: INFO Turn 57 Augustus Caesar no affordable unit of FLAVOR_TILE_IMPROVEMENT

Basically means that he can't afford to buy any workers at the moment.

Potential stupid question, should I start a new game? :twitch:

- Erikose

Understood. Clearing cache/mods, modifying file as above, and disabling barbs.

Would love an answer on AI starting with worker question that Hreat brought up, as I remember that as well . . .

Also try disabling barbarians. They may be killing AI units causing them to have to build more military units instead.

Yes, start a new game. Thanks for the help.

Hey, I haven't had time to play another game to test out the flavor changes, but I did play a game without barbarians yesterday and the AI still refused to build/ use workers.

It's not just a question of building workers...For example, in my previous game Zulu got workers through a random event (I think it was archers retiring and joining the workforce?) and hey still didn't develop any of his tiles.

If this makes a difference, I'm using a Mac. Could that be the source of the problem? What are you using Erikose?

@Gringo52, @Erikose

If it hasn't been made clear yet, could you do any testing with ONLY CEP in your mod lists.
This way we can get a baseline of what you are seeing. Then add back your other mods.

Playing on a Mac may be a reason as they use a different version game engine to the PC, though I don't think it will be solely down to that.

@Gringo52
Code:
UPDATE LoadedFile SET Value=1 WHERE Type='CEAI_LeaderFlavors.sql';

This line has nothing to do with the AI routines. It only sets a value in the database to show the whole file was loaded. Useful for checking on typos and the like.

Also do you play at MARATHON speed as well?

Top Bottom