Download link and version info

you can't download the flavored civics standalone mod anymore, but I still got it. it's attached to this post.

you need only 3 files. shouldnt be much work converting it to 3.17 but I dont know how to.

jdog? what about the plan to merge flavored civics + revolution? did you get it? and when will you release the next version (with the newest solver's too)? :)

I'm still thinking about the flavored civics thing ... I checked it out but I'm not 100% sold on it. Here's how it works ... the AI assigns a value to each civic in a particular category using the long, complicated formula in CvPlayerAI::AI_civicValue. Typical values for a civic the AI might pick vary a lot and depend highly on the situation and the number of cities the AI has, but values for a sizable empire in mid to late game are between 100 and 500 for good choices.

What Grave did was add a small piece to this civic value calculation based on flavors ... a civ with a strong Military flavor could be made more likely to run police state for example. Now, it could be somewhat cool in game to have AIs roleplaying a bit more with their civic selections and have Stalin more likely to run a Police State etc but for this flavors feature to have any effect it would have to cause Stalin to pick Police State over something else even though based purely on effects on cities etc AI_civicValue had determined that something else was better. Clearly this could be detrimental to the AI if the flavor value was too strong and cause the Stalin to pick a sub-optimal civic for his current situation.

What's the right middle ground? It would certainly be possible to add a fairly weak effect for flavor where the AI would only go one way based on flavor alone if two civics were otherwise nearly equal ... but how strong should the flavor effect be to be relevant but only tip close calculations? Or to look at it another way, what's the margin of error for AI_civicValue?

Given the range of values produced by the function, flavor would want to add/subtract a percentage from the civic value I think instead of just add a flat value as Grave has it. One possible way to pick a percentage is to go based on how much better a civic has to be for the AI to consider switching ... currently, a new civic has to be 6/5 times as good as the current if the AI will suffer anarchy, 16/15 if it will not. So somewhere between 20% and 7% could make a reasonable range ... but then it will be a fairly small effect and you won't really see it much in game, so is it worth adding?

As for a new version, I can put out a small update with a few small tweaks plus Solver's latest at the end of the week. I've been checking the Better BTS AI changes to make sure they play well since I'd be incorporating that as well. It will be a while before the next real Revolution update, but it will be worth the wait I think.

thanks for your explanation. did not know much about it, it just sounded good. hm okay not really worth adding then.

oh and I've already noticed this:

...cause the Stalin to pick a sub-optimal civic for his current situation.

so you really need to lower the values if you want it to be added. well...

oh is there a chance to release a standalone tech diffusion mod?

Version 1.62 has been posted, fixes an important bug in StartAsMinors when creating a colony. One new feature is that automation will stop when someone wins the game so you can see the ending screens and generate a replay. Also includes Solver's latest and AI improvements.

Enjoy.

THANK YOU!
:D
Sorry to be shouty, but I'm just really glad that colony bug is fixed. It was the one thing crippling my otherwise very enjoyable games. Good work.

Version 1.62 has been posted, fixes an important bug in StartAsMinors when creating a colony. One new feature is that automation will stop when someone wins the game so you can see the ending screens and generate a replay. Also includes Solver's latest and AI improvements.

Enjoy.

Is this update supported by the 18 civ DLL?

Is this update supported by the 18 civ DLL?
Should, yes.
say,
jdog5000

doesn 1.62, fix for minor civs, afrfects gameplay? does it endanger the stability?
could you elaborate for me a little?

thanks for everything.

Not quite sure what you're asking ... with StartAsMinors running in 1.61 when you or the AI formed a colony the new civ was created as a minor civ and then vassalized to you, causing everyone else to declare war on you since they were at war with your new free vassal. In 1.62 they become a full civ before becoming your vassal. You can use 1.62 on top of a 1.61 game with no problems and the bug did not have any stability ramifications.

Version 1.63 is up!

Version 1.63 07/30/08
Spoiler :

Merged in Better BTS AI 0.35

StartAsMinors
- Fixed bug which occured when DynamicCivNames was not running

BabarianCiv
- Fixed bug which occured when DynamicCivNames was not running

AIAutoPlay
- Espionage sliders now divided by 10 at end of automation to make resetting easier

CvMainInterface
- Merged in Raw Yields from Bug 3.0 to replace old Raw Commerce
- Fixed bug where RevStatus bar in city screen was not updated to use new trend method

Minor update to 1.63 posted, skipped a beat in changing the city RevStatus bar calculations for cities with high RevIndex.

If you don't want to download the 2MB again just replace the interface file with the attached one.

Also, 1.63 is completely save compatible with 1.62 ... the new AI logic from Better BTS AI will take affect immediately.

Attachments

• CvMainInterface.zip
    27.4 KB · Views: 157
hey jdog5000,

is it possible for you to note the files youve changed since v 1.62?
it would be alot easier for modders like me to merge rev evry new version,

if its atrouble, then, dont mind me, your work is a bless either way.

also,
where there any changes to the sdk for 1.63?

thanks alot :)

hey keldath
Have you ever tried Winmerge Keldath? It's free and it's just a great tool for working out what has changed in files and directories. You can compare Jdog's 1.62 with 1.63 right down to counting differences in space characters if you like. If you get to used to using it or an equivalent, you will not need anyone's help anymore.
Cheers.

glider1 , jdog5000 ,
thanks guys,
but ive been working with winmerge from the dawn of men ....(3 years of modding ..)

when i asked the quastion, it was late, and i realized that ive asked a stuipid thing....
my requast was too much....heck i barley get to tag my own changes....
so offcourse it is an annoying thing to write each file you change...

so,
anyway,
keep up you great work just the way it is, you rock.

Top Bottom