Best Civilization/Leader in CIVILIZATION V (October 2010)

Best Civ

• America

Votes: 37 4.2%
  • Arabia

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Aztec

Votes: 26 3.0%
  • China

Votes: 138 15.7%
  • Egypt

Votes: 42 4.8%
  • England

Votes: 47 5.4%
  • France

Votes: 81 9.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 41 4.7%
  • Greece

Votes: 76 8.7%
  • India

Votes: 21 2.4%
  • Iroquois

Votes: 22 2.5%
  • Japan

Votes: 36 4.1%
  • Ottoman

Votes: 22 2.5%
  • Persia

Votes: 57 6.5%
  • Rome

Votes: 55 6.3%
  • Russia

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Siam

Votes: 30 3.4%
  • Songhai

Votes: 28 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
China

+20% more great general bonus = +20% to all combat units after your first few battles.
12 str horseman + 45% = 17.4
14 str companion + 25% = 17.5
All Chinese units are unique units

UU = 1 turn ranged bombardment kills and more XP, although non everyone likes ranged stuff and it wouldn't work as well on a smarter AI.

UB = +4 gold per library

The Greeks are the best imo. They've got the best UU combo by far. A stronger faster horseman that generates more great generals, and a beefed up spearman that is both the best counter to enemy horseman, and also eats regular spearman. UA is pretty sweet too.

China is the clear winner here.

The culture from cities from France can be helpful early on, but the scaling of culture requirements with number of cities mitigates this later on. France's UU doesn't match up with China.

Greece is pretty strong, but dependent on city states. The extra gold China's UB is more flexible, can be used to maintain city state relations or put into other things. Plus the existence of a tech that does basically the Greece UA makes the difference more like 25% instead of 50% in reality.

2-shot crossbowmen paired with the extra percent strength bonus from GG is just OP.

Arabia's unique building that doubles your lux resources for a city is pretty useful (was moreso before the .62 patch).

It's less useful now, but it's still an interesting trait to play with that makes playing the Arabs more varied.

Definitely China, and now we should shut up or they'll nerf it in next patch ^^

Greece, China, and France are clearly tops IMO - in that order. You could debate Greece and China though.

Greece has overpowered ancient age UUs. Their UA is just bonus. Since a horseman beeline is a very good strategy on higher difficulties, I rate them very highly. Playing them also means you won't have to fight an ancient age war against Greece, a death sentence on Deity.

China is just great. Better generals, more (which means more Golden Ages!), and the Paper Maker is just overpowered. Chu-Ko-Nu is nice too. I rate them a hair lower than Greece, because making the most of their Paper Makers and Chu-Ko-Nus requires a diversion from horseman rushing, a top strategy on higher difficulties. Perhaps I'd need to play them more to appreciate their strengths.

France is the best at REXing. Early Liberty tree (towards Meritocracy) without having to build a single culture building is nice. Culture is then saved for Order policies. France is very flexible, allowing an extra city or two to be settled without making the powerful Order policies too expensive. UUs are not universally useful but have their uses.

For Domination/Diplomatic Victory: Greece
Science/Culture Victory: Babylon

Though Babylon wasn't listed, so I guess I'll have to go with Greece.

Roma Victor!!!

I love production. Glory of Rome & Legion that can build roads. Awesome.

This probably belongs in the strat forum.

I AM however curious how come Siam is not high up among the polls. Their UA is simply amazing regardless of what type of victory they are going.

Their UA & UB aren't anything to write home about, while the Greeks (who have a comparable UA have a very good UU and the broken-at-the-moment Comp Cavalry.

China's by far the best civ in the game, IMO, with the Greeks a close second. In a game where gold is so important, Paper Makers are insane.

I voted siam as I love there ua, but I will have to say that I have played a war based game with china and they are best for war, there ub is also the best in the game imo. I have only played 7 games of civ 5 so far though.

Depend on your game setting, so you have the best civilization there :D.
-People usually choose ancient start, so Greece, China, France are good, but later like medieval, fear the Iroquois Longhouse or freaky raiding camel and imba triple pillaging gold of Songhai :).
-Another ex, when russian start in industrial and later, its the time they are strongest with revealed strategic resources, and they can easily manage a resource domination by trading them, massive build factory, and then Legendary start option will make their city have normally +3-5 production near strategic resources.

I like China,Japan and Songhai in that order

I like them too, but Greece is pretty damn good.

Surprised that Japan got no mention before. If you fight a lot of battles the UA is very useful, and Samurais are no slouches either. However Zeroes are aptly named.

I voted Greece, but everyone seems overwhelmingly in favour of China... I might have to try them in my next game.

I do like the way that people were crying pre-release about Japan's Bushido being 'broken', and now they've only got two votes =P

Songhai I like the most, Can just buy everything you want, and have the cities just building wonders. Great with the social trait that lets you see all barbarians camps, so can spend your time running around a few troops killing off the barbarian caps for 450 gold a pop.

lol.... The poll results are scary..

France is by far the best civilization in Civ V. The fact that it is not ranked #1 says something very important about this message board :p

:king:

Nope. China is the best at diety level and when you at online game.:crazyeye:

Don't know about best, would say France or Romans. But I do know the worst UA, Ottomans. 50% chance of converting barb navy and gain 25 gold? yeeeehaw...

lol.... The poll results are scary..

France is by far the best civilization in Civ V. The fact that it is not ranked #1 says something very important about this message board :p

:king:
Nope. China is the best at diety level and when you at online game.:crazyeye:
Yeah, that very important thing is that civfanatics forum is full of well informed people and what he meant is that he still has a lot to learn :D

How +45% GGs&higher GGrate could be worse than +2:culture:/city is beyond me :)

Persia can be quite a monster, but France is mid-range to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom