Scotland

Very nice.....

Only constructive criticism I have is that Edinburgh is and (as far as I know) always has been the capital of Scotland, not Glasgow.

Yeah, if you look above, I'm trying to figure out how to change the City-State name from Edinburgh to something else so we can use Edinburgh as the capital. The first version I just added an e to the end of Edinburgh but that seemed lame.

Yeah, if you look above, I'm trying to figure out how to change the City-State name from Edinburgh to something else so we can use Edinburgh as the capital. The first version I just added an e to the end of Edinburgh but that seemed lame.

Ah, gotcha.....that didn't make sense when I first read, but now I get it....I would imagine there's a way to delete that city-state name altogether......I saw that there was a mod that added city-states.

Yeah I found a way from elistor's help. Just needed to update the language_en_US instead of messing with the minorcivnames stuff.

Update to v6

You probably wont be able to load an old game though, might have to start from scratch.

Great mod and tutorial, LoneGamer! I wish someone would do something as polished as this for Portugal.

I thought you might want to know and try to fix your category placement in-game: "Civ Scotland" is actually under Graphics > Units for some reason.

No other civ is there, so unless you did something special with unit creation, I'd say it's misplaced.

Thanks again!

Why not have all the place names in Gaelic? That way you could have Edinburgh as the capital, as in Gaelic it is Dùn Èideann. There will still be the problem that two cities being the same place may be in the game, but at least they won't share the same name...

Hi LoneGamer.

I just have a few tiny nitpicks with this mod.

Firstly I dont really agree with William Wallace as a ruler for the Civ. Yeh he was one of our more famous hero's but he didnt rule our country or even lead the vast majority of its armed forces (that was Robert the Bruce), nor did he have defacto control at any point. He simply lead a small part of the army. He was like a Scottish version of Joan of Arc (minus the religious zealotry) ie a Great General.
So I would suggest that Robert the Bruce (Robert I) who was that actually finally defeated the English; or King Kenneth the Conqueror (Kenneth I) who founded the modern realm of Scotland when he united the "Scots" of Dal Raita and "Picts" of Alba.
They are really the only two fitting monarchs I can think of; perhaps James VI might qualify.

Secondly is a small grammatic nitpick really. Scotland is spelt with one T therefore Scot's its also spelt with one T. Most of us Scots would be quite irked at this grammatic error; we have long been a fiercely proud people and while we are part of Britain and are British we will always remain Scottish first and not refering to us correctly (calling us English for example) would cause a great deal of consternation.
Scott is a name not a people.

Thirdly as you are encountering the city state problem with Edinburgh I should point out that for many years Edinburgh was merely a fort and village and NOT the capital until quite late in the countries "lifetime". The Edinburgh castle was little more than the capital of the southern marches between the northern Kingdom and the southern Angle kingdom of Northumbria (both powers fought over the region for many many years).
Originally Scone was the capital of Scotland right up until James the second - James II ruled from Dumfermline, Stirling, and then Edinburgh. James III established Edinburgh as the capital. So you could probably get away with having Scone as the capital with Stirling, Dunfermline, Perth, Glasgow, then Edinburgh (if you can add it) in the city list.

Thats about all I can say really. :)

Yes, Dunfermline should probably be the Capital of Scotland.

I would make the Distillery scotlands UB - with ability to turn grain into a new luxury resource whiskey, + 5 for export, +10 happiness for scotland
UU is good

Canny Man - Banks +50% wealth
a free great scientest when research Economics, and another when you research Steam Power.

Leader- rather than a King, the covententars

Just to add a bit of weight to Angelscotboi's comments... William Wallice really isn't a good pick as leader. Not only did he not rule Scotland, but he was not nearly as successful as people like to believe. He won one real victory, the Battle of Stirling Bridge (though he was not the sole leader of the Scots when they won, however the other leader, Andrew Moray, was killed during the battle thus Wallace has garnered all the credit in popular culture (including much local Scottish legend).

He did a great job at inspiring the Scots to rebel and throw off the shackles of England (and did win 2 minor skirmishes with the English... and murder a local magistrate) but there were others, such as Moray, who also did this and were similarly or more successful.

Furthermore, he was not actually termed "Braveheart" that is an entirely Hollywood creation. "Braveheart" was actually a term used to decribe Robert the Bruce (and only after his death, and not overly commonly). It stemmed from the Crusades, where Robert the Bruce's heart was used as a relic to inspire a Scot force. During one battle the box holding the heart was thrust forward and the barer yelled "lead on brave heart" in an effort to rally and inspire his men. Thus this name has absolutely nothing to do with William Wallace.

Robert the Bruce is, IMO, the best choice as leader.

Distilleries, as suggested, would be a very accurate UB as it has played a huge role in Scottish history. Whiskey really is a Scottish icon (and a historically accurate one!)

EDIT:
A possible suggestion for the Highlanders UU.
It would be interesting, and again accurate, to perhaps give them a slightly different feel. I don't know how possible this is, but give them a penalty when fighting on open terrain, as their poor discipline and lack of cohesive fighting really makes them vulnerable. But give them a superior fighting ability in rough terrain. Hills is too limited to be useful in the game, so all rough terrain would be a good counter IMO. Their fighting skills in hills would actually translate quite well to forests, simply because less discipline is required in those areas, as it is often difficult to keep regimented and in order when the terrain is like that. Their brute strength and mastery of their weapons makes them deadly (and this is what made them such good fighters when on such terrain).

I don't know the name of the tactic, but wouldn't it be better if theyre trait was: every landunit can move 1 tile after attack? I'm not saying your idea is bad, I just think that this hit and run tactic is more known over the world. And especially of your on to history...

I was very excited about everything in this civ except its trait.

What clues in history do we have about Scotland being tecnologicaly superior to any other country in Europe?

I think a better trait would be +1 production, food or gold from hills, along with the combat bonus in rough terrain.

If the trait changes, along with the leader (I also agree that Robert de Brus would be a more coherent leader choice), this mod will have a very good reason to become a must have civ in my games.

I get TXT_KEY errors for every piece of new text in this mod, from cities to leader name...
Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Does anyone know if LoneGamer is going to update this Civ?? If not is there a modder out there willing to take up where he left off and update this Civ?? I'm building a scenario of the British Isles and could really use Scotland as one of the Civ's in it. I have tried some minor modding and haven't gotten anything to work. Thanks!!!

Hope the OP doesn't mind - I looked at his xml and I can't see anything obvious to be causing the txt_key errors

So I knocked together one myself (without art etc) and I'm getting not quite the same but similar txt_errors. I think something must have changed in a recent update perchance.

So I've asked for help :p

Once I get those sorted, I'll be moving forward with one as I have a few ideas from one before. We can see if he returns, either which way hopefully my own will show up in the near future

Hope the OP doesn't mind - I looked at his xml and I can't see anything obvious to be causing the txt_key errors

So I knocked together one myself (without art etc) and I'm getting not quite the same but similar txt_errors. I think something must have changed in a recent update perchance.

So I've asked for help :p

I have been seeing this with several mods since the 1.0.1.141 update came out. Notably, I have found that the Dutch mod which is very extensive but doesn't seem to have these problems so I am going to try to find time to compare it to some of the other mods that do have the problems to see what is different. If I find anything out I'll post it in the appropriate places including here and the threads for other know affected mods.

I got a bit of an answer... xml added civs have stopped working.

Someone gave me an SQL example to copy but I don't think I'm linking or building it right - im SQL noob so awaiting help

I've had a look at the dutch mod.

Not loaded it yet (and it looks very impressive I have to add), but checking both gametext.xml and civ_dutch.xml to get the basics and I can't see anything obviously different yet.

Hello im a newbie here.. I just want to ask on how can I install this mod? what folder etc? please help.

tnx

Download it and stick it under your 'MODS' folder (just search for it)

OR

launch the game and go to mods, you'll be able to essentially get a list of all the published mods on this forum and download them through via the game.

Make sure the mod is activated, and launch 'single player' within the mod menu.

And in other news... I still can't get anything to work. Woe is me.

Top Bottom